Ain’t no such aminal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy a harbor freight tire changer and mount them yourself. Then just bring them in for balancing. I’ve been doing it this way for years. You can’t blame the tire shop for following the rules.
I don’t blame them for following the rules, I do blame them for improperly measuring the rims, taking my money, removing my 31” / 10.5” / 15” Maxxis tires from the rims and THEN telling me they can’t mount the tires. None of this would have been a problem if they had done their job correctly at the beginning when measuring my wheels.

Pics available on the harbor freight website. 😉
Wow, thanks for that tip Splangy! I have a couple tires I need to change right now so perfect timing. Had no idea a manual tire machine was available for us DIY kinda guys. Here's a H-T/review.

Watching that video, it would nearly kill you to mount 4 tires, but clearly the tool works.

Watching that video, it would nearly kill you to mount 4 tires, but clearly the tool works.
I mean if you're 5'-2" and built like a cheerleader it might give you some issues. It aint easy, but it's not that tough after you use it a couple of times and discover some technique.

They are for 8/87-> J6 series But it is shown in the 1982 part diagram without part no.
View attachment 2634999

Those are ET-20 so they stick out 20 mm more than 40-series wheels do.
Well, they just called and said they found some 7”/15” rims for me. Looking at them I can tell that they are NOT Toyota rims from a 1982 J40, but they look similar to the ones you linked to (they aren’t the exact rims) and will coke in white. At this point, if they want to buy me rims, I’ll let them. Worst case scenario I’ll have another shop take the tires off and remount them on my stock wheels and I’ll put my old Maxxis Buckshot mud tires on these as spares.

83ECA322-1B9B-4B0A-96CB-03901FE2692B.jpeg

Buy a harbor freight tire changer and mount them yourself. Then just bring them in for balancing. I’ve been doing it this way for years. You can’t blame the tire shop for following the rules.
HF also offers a Bubble Balancer (for cheap) that works pretty damn good.. One just has to "collect" the "hammer-on" lead weights.. Been doing ALL my vehicles and my son's vehicles for a decade or two.. No issues with ANY of my tyres and rims (12" trailer tyres up to 16" Pick-Up..)
Charles '74 FJ40.

Well, they just called and said they found some 7”/15” rims for me. Looking at them I can tell that they are NOT Toyota rims from a 1982 J40, but they look similar to the ones you linked to (they aren’t the exact rims) and will coke in white. At this point, if they want to buy me rims, I’ll let them. Worst case scenario I’ll have another shop take the tires off and remount them on my stock wheels and I’ll put my old Maxxis Buckshot mud tires on these as spares.

View attachment 2636437
As a follow up, the rims finally arrived today. I took the tires in to be mounted and the shop realized that the “white” rims that they ordered were not actually white. They apologized and asked how they could make it up to me. I was very pleased when they agreed to deduct the value of the rims that they had purchased from the cost of my tires. In the end, I got the tires for more than 50% off. While they weren’t able to find the rims that they claimed existed, they did do everything they could to resolve the issue and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again or recommend them to someone for tires for a more common rim size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom