R2.8 Cummins perspective from Diesel Toys in San Antonio (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 90 day warranty has been improved to 2 years, 2600 hrs (R2.8 Turbo Diesel | Cummins Inc.). Cummins provides parts, but your results will vary on availability depending on how close you are to a hub. Diesel Toys' R2.8 page is outdated at minimum and needs a review.

Like most CRDs, there are massive power gains to be had at the sake of durability and emissions compliance. If implementation didn't cost a first born child then this thing would be an LS-swap killer in my book thanks to the fuel economy.

I'd be cautious about the massive gains in power. I was talking with a Cummins service manager and he said they aren't like a 4bt or a 6bt. Their very much as strong as they need to be for their rated output but not for more. He didn't seem overly impressed with them.

I'd be cautious about the massive gains in power. I was talking with a Cummins service manager and he said they aren't like a 4bt or a 6bt. Their very much as strong as they need to be for their rated output but not for more. He didn't seem overly impressed with them.

Exactly. These engines are distant cousins to the tractor engines that are the 4/6BT. The 2.8 was designed to application using lots of CAD, enginerd analysis, focused testing, and bean counters who cut cost rampantly. They're designed to meet warranty and provide durability and reliability thereafter, but the fat that gave the durability of the B-series was trimmed away early on. Then again...that's also why it only weighs 500 lbs and can be used in so many things.

I think it will definately fill a spot left by alot of these older engines as we kill them off but this Cummins might not appreciate the abuse we give Toyota engines.

Considering most people do little to no maintenance on Land Cruiser diesels and then show up on MUD saying "My Toyota diesel has 947K KM's on it and it died.... what can I do for less than $2K"... :lol:

Saw this on Diesel Toys website. Not sure what others know about R2.8. Thought I would share. Link says 4BT conversions but has R2.8 perspective.

Cummins R2.8 & 4BT | Diesel Toys® |TOYOTA DIESEL CONVERSION EXPERTS

I hate to burst you bubble guys,I live in Australia and I have been driving Chinese build cars for the last ten years.
First two were Great Walls, both did around 180k, did not put a spanner on them apart from servicing
I now have a Foton Tunland 4X4 with a ISF Cummins 2.8, having the same experience, so far have done 20k, only servicing done so far.
This thing pulls strongly in top gear from 1200 revs, easily cruises at 140ks at two and a half thousand revs, 100ks at 1700 revs.
So far extremly happy with my purchase,pulls like a train and goes like a bullet......lol

But I do change oil and filter every 5k,fuel and air filter every 20k and send oil away for testing every 50k, I will be doing the same with this one as well

I hate to burst you bubble guys,I live in Australia and I have been driving Chinese build cars for the last ten years.
First two were Great Walls, both did around 180k, did not put a spanner on them apart from servicing
I now have a Foton Tunland 4X4 with a ISF Cummins 2.8, having the same experience, so far have done 20k, only servicing done so far.
This thing pulls strongly in top gear from 1200 revs, easily cruises at 140ks at two and a half thousand revs, 100ks at 1700 revs.
So far extremly happy with my purchase,pulls like a train and goes like a bullet......lol

But I do change oil and filter every 5k,fuel and air filter every 20k and send oil away for testing every 50k, I will be doing the same with this one as well

Guy I know with a Foton Tunland got a new engine under warranty at 50,000km. It's since done the same again (but out of warranty) and he had to get an independent to do it as the agents couldn't/wouldn't fix it.

This is not an oil/air filter issue.

Imho, you get what you pay for. I'm pretty sure that if any Toyota motor came back to them with a hole in the block in the warranty period, there would be some serious discussion about it. I may be spoilt living here in aus, but it pains me to see a R2.8 swapped into any cruiser. 4bt, 6bt yes, but not a common rail can the size of a teapot.

How many people complaining about Chinese quality are doing it on an iPhone?

Chinese factories will manufacture your product to whatever level of quality you are willing to pay for. If you want cheap, then they will give you cheap. If you want high quality, then they will give you high quality. Sure, you have to put some QC measures in place, just like you do in Japan, Germany, or Detroit. That's part of the cost. But if your company has the engineering savvy to design a complex product, then it has the engineering savvy to implement the quality control processes.

If you get a cheap low quality product from your Chinese manufacturer, it's probably because you weren't willing to pay for a quality one.

^^^^ this.

Been using that analogy for years.

Anyone have an idea what the R2.8 would cost to install? On my bucket list!!!

Anyone have an idea what the R2.8 would cost to install? On my bucket list!!!
How long is a piece of string? You doing the install or someone else or 50/50? Is it your landcruiser or some other kind of vehicle? Is it going to have A/C? All these things greatly affect the final price. But the way these are dying in Australia, installed in Foton Tunlands at the 200000klm mark , I wouldn't be rushing in.

How long is a piece of string? You doing the install or someone else or 50/50? Is it your landcruiser or some other kind of vehicle? Is it going to have A/C? All these things greatly affect the final price. But the way these are dying in Australia, installed in Foton Tunlands at the 200000klm mark , I wouldn't be rushing in.

Im in no rush. I have plenty life ledt.in my 2f/ Sniper. I may even decide that I like that fine enough.... Just sorts game planning for future. Im about to drop an absurd amt of $$$ into my rig for: H55, Aluminum F+R bumpers + 40 g LRT. Body + Paint.... Thinking the R2.8 would be rather spiffy...once they iron out the Cheap Chinese issues...

It's nice to get a new engine that has a direct parts line right here in the USA.

However, it is a 4 cyl diesel w/o balance shafts so it has bad harmonics.

Knowing what I know now I would have skipped this engine.

I don’t recommend any of my customers put in a non-Toyota diesel. For that matter a non Cruiser diesel either.

Number one reason; resale value. You will never touch that with a swap Cummins of V8 compared to the 1HDx platforms.

Other reasons include fitment, smooth operation, reliable and proven to be, easy to work on and maintain for the owner. When it comes to power, you can get plenty of that from any of the 1HDx engines. They are somewhat available second hand even to us here in the states, parts are for the most part readily available and yes may cost a bit more to swap in but dollar for dollar are better in every way. You can also still build a new 1HDx engine but yes it is super expensive. At the end of the day, you can swap in a 1HDx engine for more $$ but with far better results. You can always just drop a used engine in as well, I have seen multiple 1HDx engine in poor condition running alright.

Cheers

I don’t recommend any of my customers put in a non-Toyota diesel. For that matter a non Cruiser diesel either.

Number one reason; resale value. You will never touch that with a swap Cummins of V8 compared to the 1HDx platforms.

Other reasons include fitment, smooth operation, reliable and proven to be, easy to work on and maintain for the owner. When it comes to power, you can get plenty of that from any of the 1HDx engines. They are somewhat available second hand even to us here in the states, parts are for the most part readily available and yes may cost a bit more to swap in but dollar for dollar are better in every way. You can also still build a new 1HDx engine but yes it is super expensive. At the end of the day, you can swap in a 1HDx engine for more $$ but with far better results. You can always just drop a used engine in as well, I have seen multiple 1HDx engine in poor condition running alright.

Cheers
Couldn't agree more. It is easy to get wrapped up in the hype you read in media about the latest craze of the R2.8 and previously the 4BT swaps which you don't hear about anymore. I guess a motor out of a backhoe is not the best fit for a passenger car after all. I bet if you talk to folks that have them now (I have) and get real non marketing influenced opinion, they wished they did not go that route. I learned that lesson years ago when I did a SB 350 swap into a 40 I had, when that was really popular. Boy did I regret that and I wish I just stayed with the 2F. And yes the resale value of that, even with a new shiny, well swapped 350, was less then with the original, oil covered, gutless 2f.

When in doubt, as Ian stated, you are way better off staying all Toyota for many reasons.

Did anyone ever do an oil analysis on the 2.8? I was watching a comparison of motorcycle engines regarding the oil and the results differed wildly with some surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom