Steel Wheel Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@G-Cat
Thank you for posting my thread in here.

I love finding better ways to saving money and to put in a little bit of work to what we need! Aka cheaper steelies!

For me I found my information in one of @wngrog threads, as a matter of fact it was so long ago I had to IM him to refresh my memory about those wheels and tire combo.

So thank you @wngrog for your knowledge and expertise!

That wheel and tire combo is a perfect fit. And man do they ride nice!

You are welcome. I too love the width, backspace and price of the eTrailer wheels

Looks like wheel vintiques is back ordered til August on a 16x8. Dang.

Man I like the eTrailer wheels that I have on my 60 for 255’s better than the Smooth V

Better backspace and width

Man I like the eTrailer wheels that I have on my 60 for 255’s better than the Smooth V

Better backspace and width
I’ll look them up.

i don’t think I’ll be able to live with tiny tires on the 40. I wanted to make use of all the spare 15” wheels I have but I really need a 235/85r16 to drive it hard.

Why would anyone want to use split rims? I would like to get 16" for my FJ but I won't go to a split rim.

None of the wheels mentioned in this thread are split rims. There just different versions of 16” steel wheels that look similar to OEM.

Are these compatible with disk brakes? How do I tell? Does the “15” mean 15 inches and therefore no bueno for disks?
My 1978 FJ40 has factory disc brakes on the front and came with 15 inch rims. I tried to buy tires and rims from a friend that had a half ton chevy pickup and those rims did not work because of the disc brakes.

My 1978 FJ40 has factory disc brakes on the front and came with 15 inch rims. I tried to buy tires and rims from a friend that had a half ton chevy pickup and those rims did not work because of the disc brakes.

Toyota still sells factory steel wheels for about $120 each at your local dealer

Why would anyone want to use split rims? I would like to get 16" for my FJ but I won't go to a split rim.

I could ask the opposite, 'why would anyone be against using split rims?'

ok. i dont suggest going out of your way to put together a set, but if you have them, use them if you want. works fine. but with the right tools one piece rims are no more difficult to work with than splits, they are lighter, and they can be had in different widths/offsets. but still nothing inherently wrong with using split rims

IMG_2550a.JPG

None of the wheels mentioned in this thread are split rims. There just different versions of 16” steel wheels that look similar to OEM.

I actually did mention them in an earlier post about gm steel wheels with center hole opened up to fit over hubs.

37" Yoko's, 17x7.5" FJ/Tacoma steelies, 40 hubcaps, in love.

174782715_2519539268192107_5623212420775636230_n.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone put the Vintique Smoothies on a late 80 Series? Any fitment issues?

And how are the Smoothies with brake cooling in general? Less airflow would seem to possibly allow for the brakes heating up?
Great thread folks, thank you!

I’m bumping up this question from CaptBeardilocks. I’m also curious about steelies on 80 axles. I have axles from a ‘95 on my 40, and would like to do solid steelies, with hubcaps, and fit 35” tires.

Great thread folks, thank you!

I’m bumping up this question from CaptBeardilocks. I’m also curious about steelies on 80 axles. I have axles from a ‘95 on my 40, and would like to do solid steelies, with hubcaps, and fit 35” tires.
@ionyota: In case you didn't find this thread:

There are commonly available OEM steel wheel takeoffs in the Middle East in the 16" and 17" variety. The 16" wheels generally come off the Hiluxes... and the 17" wheels come off of Prados (what I've been told).

I picked up a set of takeoff 17x6.5 OEM steelies to test on my 40. This was while I was back in Abu Dhabi. I wanted to source Toyota steelies that I could eventually replace my splits with given how difficult it can be to get tire shops here to play with the splits.

Here is one tested out with a 245/75 R17 (roughly 31.5" x 9.6"). No spacers.

MUD17on40front.jpg

MUD17frontclear.jpg

MUD17frontprofile.jpg

MUD17on40rear.jpg

MUD17rearclear.jpg

MUD17rearprofile.jpg

On the rear there's a very minor amount of protruding...
MUD17stickout.jpg

So I had a set of five painted up white to match my roof and bezel... saving them for new tires once I get a lift installed.
MUD17repainted.jpg

NOTE: While I appreciate the shops painted-to-match pewter hubcaps I'll be taking a pass on those.
where did you get the center caps? can these still be purchased?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom