Ain’t no such aminal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On Monday I took my 1982 BJ40 to a Discount Tire to buy 33” / 10.5” / 15” BFG A/Ts. I have stock wagon wheels on it and the person I had bought the vehicle from had 31” Maxxis Buckshot mud terrains on it. I have a 5 speed transmission and 4.11 gearing, so I calculated that a 33” tire will make my second gear a bit more “usable.”

Anyway, Discount tire measured my rims and told me that they could mount the tires on the rims on my vehicle, which were 6” wide, but that they could not mount the tire on my spare rim because it was a 5.5” wide split rim. I told them that was fine, since I am hunting for a fifth wagon wheel and I would buy a fifth tire when I get it. After ordering the tires, I had the shop remove the Maxxis tires from the rims and I dropped the rims off at a powder coating shop to be returned to the stock white color.

Flash forward to today. I picked up the coated rims and went to the tire shop. Some of you already see where this is going... The techs at the tire shop are all huddled around the rims before the service manager comes over and says that they can sell me the tires (I had already paid for them) but they could not mount them on my rims because they are 6” wide rims, too narrow for a 10.5” tire by company regulations. Obviously, I was frustrated since they had measured the rims before I even bought the tires on Monday. I pointed this out, and the manager acknowledged that their salesman had misread the width when measuring, and condescendingly explained why it would be unsafe to mount these tires. He offered to get me fit with tires that “would work.” I pointed out that BFG no longer makes the 9.5” wide tires and that any he might find are too old to safely use. I also pointed out that on a 40 year old vehicle, these new tires would be the safest things on it but to no avail.
He then did something that really frustrated me. He told me that he would give me a set of rims. I explained that these were the original rims for a 1982 vehicle that was never produced in the US and that moreover I had just paid to have them powder coated. He told me that he saw in the database that they had that there were STOCK 1982 Land Cruiser rims that were 15” / 7” wide, and that he would get me a set and have them powder coated white.

As you might imagine, I was incredulous. I was frustrated because I had planned to mount the wheels and take the 40 for a drive tomorrow, but he made it clear that he would not mount the tires. So I played devil’s advocate and told him that if he can find four stock, Toyota Land Cruiser, 1982 rims in 15” / 7” by Monday at close of business and will pay to have them powder coated, then I will let him mount the tires on them instead of my stock rims.

So, do these mythical beasts exist? Or am I right that there ain’t no such animal?

As an aside, I took the tires with me since I have already paid for them and the very nice techs gave me valve stems, apologized that their manager was such an ass, and told me where I could take the tires to have them mounted. I felt sorry for them that they may have to face his wrath but I’m damned sure going to push for a discount on the tires if I end up having to pay someone else to mount them, especially since I paid an extra $130 for a 50,000 mile, lifetime warranty that will be inconvenient to use since they wouldn’t mount any replacement tires on a 6” wide rim.

F3DD4ED1-9E18-4208-8A24-98CE085DD17D.jpeg

Had virtually the same thing happen to me. Had Discount Tires order me 5 brand new tires and once they arrived, was told they couldn’t mount them because the wheels were too narrow. I loaded them up and hauled the tires to another shops. The new shop didn’t even question it and mounted all of them.

I’ve been dealing with Discount Tire for 20+ years and have had great service but I’ve noticed over the last 5 years or so, they’ve become very ‘corporate’.

Had virtually the same thing happen to me. Had Discount Tires order me 5 brand new tires and once they arrived, was told they couldn’t mount them because the wheels were too narrow. I loaded them up and hauled the tires to another shops. The new shop didn’t even question it and mounted all of them.

I’ve been dealing with Discount Tire for 20+ years and have had great service but I’ve noticed over the last 5 years or so, they’ve become very ‘corporate’.
That’s why I was exasperated because I’ve had such good experiences and all of the techs and salespeople were so excited to see my cruiser and ask about it. I really feel like had that one manager not been standing where he was when I brought in the rims the techs would have just mounted the tires.

He told me that he saw in the database that they had that there were STOCK 1982 Land Cruiser rims that were 15” / 7” wide, and that he would get me a set and have them powder coated white.
So, do these mythical beasts exist? Or am I right that there ain’t no such animal?
They are for 8/87-> J6 series But it is shown in the 1982 part diagram without part no.
4B972E22-7E7C-4A01-A06D-A668C554E940.png

Those are ET-20 so they stick out 20 mm more than 40-series wheels do.

Just has BFGAT 33x10.50R15's mounted to stock FJ40 steel that are 5.5" wide at a discount tire in National City, CA. No issues, and they never batted an eye. They knew they were going on my 73, I agree with others advice and find a small shop or try a different chain. I had a discount tire swear they would never touch my 100 series because it had Rock Warriors and adapters, I showed up un announced and they rotated them and never said a word, its definitely frustrating when they aren't consistent with their rules.

IMG_20210327_130244083.jpg

They are for 8/87-> J6 series But it is shown in the 1982 part diagram without part no.
View attachment 2634999

Those are ET-20 so they stick out 20 mm more than 40-series wheels do.
Thank you very much for the information. I have seen these on 70 series cruisers out of Venezuela but didn’t know about the listing in the 1982 parts catalog. Obviously not stock 40 series, but I suspect that’s why it is showing up in their system.

Just has BFGAT 33x10.50R15's mounted to stock FJ40 steel that are 5.5" wide at a discount tire in National City, CA. No issues, and they never batted an eye. They knew they were going on my 73, I agree with others advice and find a small shop or try a different chain. I had a discount tire swear they would never touch my 100 series because it had Rock Warriors and adapters, I showed up un announced and they rotated them and never said a word, its definitely frustrating when they aren't consistent with their rules.

View attachment 2635000
Yeah, super frustrating. But, I guess it’s to be expected with any big chain.
Great looking wheels though!

Sorry Dizzy, I don’t understand what you mean by “post #88.”
The posts are numbered, right-hand, top corner. A simple bead-breaker is easily fabricated at home, that one fits into a tow hitch receiver. They sell bead breakers too. Balancing is apparantly doable for the home mechanic as well.

The whole thing looks hard, but, right now, there is a cheap tire plug on my less-than-a-year-old spare that needs to be replaced with a proper plug, but I just don't feel that I have the time to make it to the tire shop. I'd be better off doing it DIY. I was looking into it when I was considering getting original-looking bias-ply tires and heard a report of a guy being turned away from a shop.

When I was shopping online, I read that for many of the tire sizes, you need a 6-inch rim - mine being 5.5. So, when I walked into the chain's shop that was selling some good looking all-terrains, the sales person was pointing at sizes bigger than my request, and what their website said would fit. More money, no problem. But, I really didn't want to get far away from the stock-size diameter, this time. I asked him about the width issue, major chain, right. But, it didn't raise a flag. The only hang up was the perennial one. You know, "You said, Range Rover," no, "Land Cruiser." "You said that it is Toyota?" "Yes." "Is it here?" " No, it is at home, no, the wheels are in the bed of my pickup." The tires that I was pointing at was an inexpensive street tread with white wall, ugly tire, but the correct (ish) diameter. "We have some mud-terrains." "So, the vehicle is a 1975, Land Cruiser, you said?" "Yes." "Toyota?"

And on and on. Anyway, I appreciate what I ultimately got, even though one of the balancing weights came off before I took it for a spin. It is a tough market, getting treads, as there are seemingly infinite sizes out there, and clearly, the aftermarket, and stock vehicles, are wearing treads that is kind of fashion show in itself.

I had a Firestone store refuse to mount non-run flats on my SC430. Asked them twice and tried to buy the new hybrid Bridgstone runflats for it. They would not sell me a $1000 set of tires because their computer would not allow it. Lexus dealer sourced them for me and mounted them for the same price no problem. Best move I have ever made.

I am finding that dealerships are doing a better job at tires than tire shops in the last few years.

The posts are numbered, right-hand, top corner. A simple bead-breaker is easily fabricated at home, that one fits into a tow hitch receiver. They sell bead breakers too. Balancing is apparantly doable for the home mechanic as well.

The whole thing looks hard, but, right now, there is a cheap tire plug on my less-than-a-year-old spare that needs to be replaced with a proper plug, but I just don't feel that I have the time to make it to the tire shop. I'd be better off doing it DIY. I was looking into it when I was considering getting original-looking bias-ply tires and heard a report of a guy being turned away from a shop.

When I was shopping online, I read that for many of the tire sizes, you need a 6-inch rim - mine being 5.5. So, when I walked into the chain's shop that was selling some good looking all-terrains, the sales person was pointing at sizes bigger than my request, and what their website said would fit. More money, no problem. But, I really didn't want to get far away from the stock-size diameter, this time. I asked him about the width issue, major chain, right. But, it didn't raise a flag. The only hang up was the perennial one. You know, "You said, Range Rover," no, "Land Cruiser." "You said that it is Toyota?" "Yes." "Is it here?" " No, it is at home, no, the wheels are in the bed of my pickup." The tires that I was pointing at was an inexpensive street tread with white wall, ugly tire, but the correct (ish) diameter. "We have some mud-terrains." "So, the vehicle is a 1975, Land Cruiser, you said?" "Yes." "Toyota?"

And on and on. Anyway, I appreciate what I ultimately got, even though one of the balancing weights came off before I took it for a spin. It is a tough market, getting treads, as there are seemingly infinite sizes out there, and clearly, the aftermarket, and stock vehicles, are wearing treads that is kind of fashion show in itself.
Thanks for explaining. That bead breaker looks like a great welding project for a weekend. For these tires I’ll take them to a small, independent shop, but I’ll probably weld myself one of those bead breakers too.

View attachment 2635000
Show us more of your rig and tires.

Buy a harbor freight tire changer and mount them yourself. Then just bring them in for balancing. I’ve been doing it this way for years. You can’t blame the tire shop for following the rules.
Any pics? Is there a thread? This justifies getting a spare spare, just to practice on.

The problem is the manufacture lists a 7" to 9" rim width for this tire size. A lot of folks these days are worried about legal issue's arising that could hang them out to dry. It could be as simple as minor tire issue and manufacture refusing to cover warranty because the tire was mounted on a rim outside their specification. Simplest thing for the dealer to do is refuse to mount tires.

Not being a lawyer I don't know if a simple wavier form would release the dealer but it would increase paper they would have to store for who knows how long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom