Diagnosing electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm guessing I should start by labeling everything with painters tape and take a bunch of pictures before starting to remove anything? Then pull the harness out, lay it out out relatively neatly, and open her up?

Here is a picture from a great thread on wire harnesses ( FJ40 Wire Harness Reference - September 1976 )

The part of the harness labeled 53-63 runs down the driver fender to the headlights. The other end down the the passenger fender. The middle section, between the grommets is behind the dash.

Label as you remove, push the two ends through the firewall, remove the stuff behind the dash, then it can come out. There is a rear harness that connects to #16/17 (I think) that goes to rear of rig. I would leave it alone.

Lay the harness out on a sheet of plywood and start unwrapping, and checking every wire and connector. You will learn a ton and fix it right!

WireHarness9_76_med.jpg

Here is a picture from a great thread on wire harnesses ( FJ40 Wire Harness Reference - September 1976 )

The part of the harness labeled 53-63 runs down the driver fender to the headlights. The other end down the the passenger fender. The middle section, between the grommets is behind the dash.

Label as you remove, push the two ends through the firewall, remove the stuff behind the dash, then it can come out. There is a rear harness that connects to #16/17 (I think) that goes to rear of rig. I would leave it alone.

Lay the harness out on a sheet of plywood and start unwrapping, and checking every wire and connector. You will learn a ton and fix it right!

View attachment 2025070

That's a great thread. Maybe I'll just label everything with numbers according to that picture and spreadsheet.

Or just dont label anything and keep posting "Name that connector" threads! :)

I promise you many of us know those connectors by heart. For access you may want to consider removing the heater. I am pretty sure city racer has a replacement fuse panel that is reasonably priced. I bought one and it was a nice product.

Should I spend the time labeling everything with numbers matching this picture before disconnecting anything and removing the harness?

Or remove it, lay it out like pictured, label with numbers, then open it up?

View attachment 2025070

It would be easier to tag everything with numbers after I've pulled the harness, just don't know if that's the wrong way to go.

Does anyone else sell factory style connectors, fusible links, 10 ga white and white/blue wire, etc? Coolerman has been MIA for a couple weeks and I'm ready to get this thing back on the road.

Awesome, what about fusible links?

i have the Connectors for them

but , i generally use them for repair purposes

i typically just buy them from Coolerman

Or just dont label anything and keep posting "Name that connector" threads! :)

I promise you many of us know those connectors by heart. For access you may want to consider removing the heater. I am pretty sure city racer has a replacement fuse panel that is reasonably priced. I bought one and it was a nice product.

Should I spend the time labeling everything with numbers matching this picture before disconnecting anything and removing the harness?

Or remove it, lay it out like pictured, label with numbers, then open it up?

View attachment 2025070

It would be easier to tag everything with numbers after I've pulled the harness, just don't know if that's the wrong way to go.

DSCN9915.JPG
DSCN9916.JPG
DSCN9917.JPG
DSCN9918.JPG
DSCN9919.JPG

Great thread! I may be on the cusp of jumping into my '78 FJ40 wiring harness. Hoping to fix things while on the truck - namely brake lights, head lights and turn signals are out. PO did some interesting things but the main harness seems ok. I may need to replace some connectors and such, if they're available. @reddog90 you ever pull yours out? Looks like you may have sold your 76 since this thread was last active.

Great thread! I may be on the cusp of jumping into my '78 FJ40 wiring harness. Hoping to fix things while on the truck - namely brake lights, head lights and turn signals are out. PO did some interesting things but the main harness seems ok. I may need to replace some connectors and such, if they're available. @reddog90 you ever pull yours out? Looks like you may have sold your 76 since this thread was last active.
I did not pull the harness out. I was able to repair it still in the truck with help and parts from Matt. I believe I chronicled that in my build thread. Yes, I sold the truck last fall, need to update that thread.

I just bought some harness parts from @ToyotaMatt - hoping to fix on the truck and not take it out. I think most of my issues are up around the connectors to fuse box and dash switches from the "PO projects." So I just need to go through that and check everything, add wires back where they were cut out, etc. Wish me luck!

View attachment 2025070
awesome idea..... Too bad i can't find what each numbered wire leads to???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom