Add a Tundra or Trade for 2021 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a 2014 200 with about 85k on it. My daily driver '03 4Runner is about dead so I'm at the point where something has to take its place. After running some numbers, I think I can either add a 2021 Tundra as the daily driver and boat hauler and keep the miles off the '14 200, or I can trade the '14 200 in for a 2021 200. So, do I add a Tundra and finish building out the '14 200, or do I trade the '14 200 on a 2021? I put roughly 15-20k miles per year on my daily driver, and I need to maintain the capability to tow 6500 pounds. Thoughts?

I’d get the Tundra and keep the 200. I did essentially that but with a Taco. It lets me keep the miles off the 200 and take it apart and do mods at a leisurely pace without the pressure of getting it back together so I can drive to work Monday. It’s all on what you want the 200 to be. For me, I’d rather have my 2013 with $15 or $20k in mods than a new 200. Also, I love having a pickup after years of using SUVs for stuff that is way better with a pickup.

I chuckle every time someone talks about keeping miles off their LC. Maybe if you're driving 200 miles a day and are considering a Tesla (or Prius) where the terrible gas mileage of the LC comes into account. But in terms of actual miles, these trucks will go 300k miles or more so why on earth is anyone trying to keep miles off their rigs? It's like marrying a supermodel but then spending your days with some back alley hooker because you don't want to tire her out. Enjoy what you've got, and if the LC makes you happy then trade up for a '21.

I put 60k on mine in three years, and that’s with a daily driver to keep miles off it. If I didn’t have the dd the cruiser really wouldn’t last all that long compared to the number of years I do want to get out of it, and my overall cost/mile would be a lot higher. Plus @kcjaz point about not being under pressure to get it back together in a hurry for work or whatever.

The only correct 2nd vehicle as a DD is another 200 ;)

Any reason to not wait a little while longer to see what the new Tundra has to offer?

The tundra tows more, I would keep the 200 and get a good used tundra, I daily drive my tundra and it has almost 100k miles no issues.

tempImage1ou2WG.png

Keep your current 200 and add a truck.

Looks like they are adding a lot of LC 200 Technology to the new tundra ... if you have the means and availability to get a 200 I would , you can allways get a trundra and they are getting better , you won’t be able to get a 200 after this year .

Looks like they are adding a lot of LC 200 Technology to the new tundra ... if you have the means and availability to get a 200 I would , you can allways get a trundra and they are getting better , you won’t be able to get a 200 after this year .

I'm watching the new Tundra info closely as it will likely replace my 21' Tacoma as my 2nd vehicle. The new Tundra, LC300, Seqouia, Prado etc is based on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) so it's not 200 tech going to next gen Tundra as much as it is all the next gen vehicles will share the same platform moving forward. Under a new Tundra it looks like a 200 but it's as I understand it, it's because that's also the 300. I expect (read:hope) the new Tundra to leap frog the current one in every way except sound.

I’m watching also , I was considering trading my 2015 Tacoma , I bought it used and am offered more than I paid for the truck , its a 4cyl 4x4 sr5 access , pretty hard to beat the fuel milage . My big truck is a GMC diesel , I went from a 2018 Tundra just could not haul the weight of a SRW 3500 , only positive about the 2019 GMC Duramax uses Denso injection system , Its as close to a 1 ton Toyota diesel as were going to get .
As far as my 2019 LC 200 its a base plan on keeping it for a while , it is my 2nd 200 and anything above 2018 can’t go wrong in my book .

I’m watching also , I was considering trading my 2015 Tacoma , I bought it used and am offered more than I paid for the truck , its a 4cyl 4x4 sr5 access , pretty hard to beat the fuel milage . My big truck is a GMC diesel , I went from a 2018 Tundra just could not haul the weight of a SRW 3500 , only positive about the 2019 GMC Duramax uses Denso injection system , Its as close to a 1 ton Toyota diesel as were going to get .
As far as my 2019 LC 200 its a base plan on keeping it for a while , it is my 2nd 200 and anything above 2018 can’t go wrong in my book .

2019 Base LC200 right here too! Console cooler or bust!

OP, wait for the new Tundra! Fantastic 2-vehicle setup

Not loving the trend of GIGANTIC GRILLES on new trucks. Unfortunately, this includes the new Tundra from what I've seen.

Local dealer I use to buy from could not sell a 200 to save there lives , and they had 6 at one point and now have one heritage and want 98k for it ... I not sure when they will stop coming in .

I'd add the Tundra and build out the 2014 200.

I use my 19 Tundra as the daily/boat hauler and it really helps keep the miles down on the 200. I've daily driven Tundras for about 17 years and other than oil changes and brake jobs the ONLY thing I've have to replace was wheel bearings on a 2014 model after 120k miles....that's it. And they were all modified and driven hard. I've probably put a half million miles on Tundras in those 17 years, they're great trucks. Rear springs suck so bags are needed for towing but that's kinda standard on Toyota in my experience...even my 200 has the Airbagman kit.

IMG_5927 (2).jpg

I can appreciate your situation. I would also recommend adding the Tundra. I have 01 Tundra extra cab that was my daily driver for years, but always found myself wanting more space in the 2nd row. A few years ago, I added a 13 LX570 and that has worked great. In 2020 I felt it was time to make another move and added a 2020 Tundra Crewmax. Between the LX and newer Tundra, it really is having the best of both worlds between truck and suv. Sometimes, I struggle with which one to drive since I like both. Although I have to admit I am struggling with keeping LX and building it out vs. getting a newer 200 (2018+) and build it out... or just go all in on a heritage. I have approx. 70K on the LX. Tough decisions and I can make good arguments both for and against each case. At the end of the day, I don't thank you can make a "bad" descion. Worst case you add the wrong vehicle for you situation...really not a big deal..you can always trade it and go in the other direction. Like so many of us in this community, I am (we are) blessed and grateful that we even get the opportunity to even conisder this type of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom