Is it worth saving and what should I be willing to pay??? Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a big difference between the real value of an 80 right now and what us mud members think. This is a great example.

Lots of guys on here who wouldn't pay more than $2,000.00 - $3,000.00 for this rig because they know how much work it would need and they have been driving, owning, and working on 80 series for some years.

But you have to remember an 80 series is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And there are a lot of people right now that are willing to pay a lot for an 80 series.

Value of this rig to an experienced cruiser head that already owns an 80: $2,000.00

Value to some noobie hipster looking to buy their first 80 series: $10,000.00

Make a low-ball offer and see what you can get it for.

No rust is nice, definitely worth something. A '91 in similarly good condition with more miles and 3FE sold for under $2K here last summer. I would have bought if it had the FZ engine.
$5K tops IMO. Cruiser price asks are ridiculous these days. They're just not worth it-wholesale or no sale IMO.

There is a big difference between the real value of an 80 right now and what us mud members think. This is a great example.

Lots of guys on here who wouldn't pay more than $2,000.00 - $3,000.00 for this rig because they know how much work it would need and they have been driving, owning, and working on 80 series for some years.

But you have to remember an 80 series is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And there are a lot of people right now that are willing to pay a lot for an 80 series.

Value of this rig to an experienced cruiser head that already owns an 80: $2,000.00

Value to some noobie hipster looking to buy their first 80 series: $10,000.00

Make a low-ball offer and see what you can get it for.

I actually see it the opposite. As a mechanic of 25 years and having the tools and know how to fix anything easily, means nothing about that truck is scary and the rust condition alone makes it a solid buy. I know these trucks pretty well inside and out and would pay $5k even knowing ALL the possible bad things.

Buy it for $2k. Trailer it to Maine ($500) and sell it for $5k. Then put $2500 into your current rig.
Buy it for $2k, trailer is to my house for $500, sell it to me for $3k, enjoy the painful photos when try to build a link suspension and run 40s. :cool:

More pictures and the radiator.... This gives you an idea of the repairs that might be needed...Lots...

View attachment 2631247

View attachment 2631248

View attachment 2631249

I have been driving past this cruiser for about 15 years and finally stopped last month to talk to the owner, not to buy it, but to show it some interest. They bought the LX450 22 years ago. They called me today and asked me to make a fair offer...

I am passionate about Land Cruiser’s and feel the life obligation to save them... I have kids and carpel tunnel. I now choose my projects carful as I age..... What is a good deal and still a fair price?

1996 Lexus LX450 206k no lockers

the good:

Owned for ever
No paint work
No rust anywhere
No modifications
AC works!!!

bad:

Looks very very rough!!!!!!
Leaks everywhere
Paint is crap
Seats are crap
Check engine light
Will need everything to baseline

View attachment 2631236

View attachment 2631237

View attachment 2631239
ohhh, that's clean underneath. interior, meh. find out the what the MIL code is.
go for it! low ball and meet somewhere!

I’d say $3,000 to $5,000 easy. You’re familiar with the vehicle and it has no rust. We are getting to the point where no rust and actually having a clean title is worth quite a bit.

Try shopping other fixer upper rigs - Bill of Sale only, back fees, hasn’t run in 5 years, no interior door panels, no engine......

Better yet, look back at this in 10 years and smash yourself in the face with a hammer. It only took 3 years after I sold my 40 to realize I will never have enough money to own a nice one ever again.

...a hippie drum circle music CD. It came from out west, not sure what y’all are into out there. None of my business 😂
I was wondering where I left that. Can you mail it back to me?

Honestly, I feel some of the previous comments are incredibly high. I bought my first rig, rolled, for $1800 delivered (almost 3 hrs, 1-way drive). The second, I bought for $1400, which drove home (albeit, it had some issues, but still drove at interstate speeds).

I think $2k is reasonable, but still high, considering the neglect. I think you're closer to $1-2k. Granted, it's what the local market is willing to pay. And how much work you're willing to put in. However, while these are appreciating daily, you should looks at what comparables are selling for.

$3k still seems reasonable, but anything above that seems asinine; you're still looking at $2-4k in baselining, plus more to get it back to quality condition, which will cut into your bottom line, if you're just looking to flip it.

The whole mindset that these rigs are worth $20k+ is nice, but those typically are unmolested, later model, clean history vehicles, and usually triple locked. "Normal" rigs that have been worked on to get back to good shape aren't selling for near as much (market dependant), or so it seems.

I think a reasonable offer would be $1500, since they contacted you. Be willing to go higher, and consider passing it off to someone else at a mild profit.

Just my $0.02

I had a triple locked 97 with a blown head gasket that I let go for $2500 and I regret it. Would’ve been an awesome parts truck. You really realize how valuable a parts truck is when you start breaking s*** on your daily.

I think the market on everything is overheated right now. I've seen this before, it won't last forever. If you remember 2009, you remember $15K rigs going for 8-10 all day long. Offer them what is fair to you and see if they take it. To them, they might think it's either worth $8-10K or $500. Be fair so you can sleep well at night and move on if it's too high a price. There will be another one along in a month or twelve and you might find a better one.

Reactions: YMT
Just bought a 92 FJ80 for $1,800, running with a bad passenger side birfield. One dent on the front fender and only interior wear is the drivers seat, 254K on the odometer. Seller started at $4,500 and after 5 weeks dropped the price to $2K. I bought for $200 less as I showed up with a trailer to take it away that moment.

Last 93 FZJ80 I bought had a bad head gasket and number of minor issues, good interior and 35's (190K on the odometer). This was 8 years ago and I paid $2K. Saw another 92 with bad head gasket for $1,500 this week. Clear coat peeled, decent interior and good tires.

Based on the condition of the vehicle presented, start at $2K and go up to max of $2,500. Too many mysteries with the motor and tired interior to justify more $'s.

My truck came with a wrench, and a hippie drum circle music CD. It came from out west, not sure what y’all are into out there. None of my business 😂

images (1).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom