Help Needed - Overheating on Startup after Desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Completed desmog taking great care following desmog threads on this site. Started right up sounded great but began immediately overheating and didn’t seem to be pulling coolant into block since I was trying to add coolant needed from some loss after pulling lower valve off thermostat. Thought maybe overtightened belt on the new pulley and damaged bearings in water pump so replaced pump and coolant temp sensor. Apparently wasted all that time and money because just started her up and immediately overheated. Again it doesn’t seem to be pulling coolant from radiator at all since again I was trying to burp radiator after filling to complete water pump project. I guess question is what vacuum line(s) misplaced could cause immediate and rapid overheating? Any suggestions appreciated.

I'd be fairly sure you can run the engine for 2 minutes at idle with no coolant and not get it hot enough to cause much problem. I'd get a real temp gauge or IR thermometer and get some actual numbers

If the engine is cold and it runs for 2 minutes in a normal environment (not Death Valley at noon in august) you should t be anywhere near hot.
Smoke off the engine isn’t uncommon after doing work. It’s easy for penetrating oil or coolant spillage etc can get on surfaces and it will take a few runs to cook off. A coolant leak will usually be quite obvious.

If the engine is cold and it runs for 2 minutes in a normal environment (not Death Valley at noon in august) you should t be anywhere near hot.
Smoke off the engine isn’t uncommon after doing work. It’s easy for penetrating oil or coolant spillage etc can get on surfaces and it will take a few runs to cook off. A coolant leak will usually be quite obvious.
Okay thanks. Definitely no coolant leak.

Mine didn't work when I first got the truck. Eventually I found the sensor wire was burned through and I fixed it. The gage still didn't work. One day while working in that area I disconnected the wire and cleaned all the contacts well and plugged it back in and once again my gage worked just fine and has ever since.

I went thru this temp gauge issue this past year. I did every thing you can, even got a 62 gauge cluster from a great guy on the forum to "borrow". It still read the same. In the end, after replacing the sender, the wire, cleaning contacts, swapping clusters, I finally got to the water pump thermostat replacement. From the first time I started it after that it reads correctly to this day. I blam it on the aftermarket non-toyota thermostat that was in there from PO. Confirm you have both the gasket for the housing and the rubber o-ring looking gasket on top of the thermostat! That will cause issues if not there.

I went thru this temp gauge issue this past year. I did every thing you can, even got a 62 gauge cluster from a great guy on the forum to "borrow". It still read the same. In the end, after replacing the sender, the wire, cleaning contacts, swapping clusters, I finally got to the water pump thermostat replacement. From the first time I started it after that it reads correctly to this day. I blam it on the aftermarket non-toyota thermostat that was in there from PO. Confirm you have both the gasket for the housing and the rubber o-ring looking gasket on top of the thermostat! That will cause issues if not there.
Thanks I did replace thermostat a few years ago and has been working fine with just a few thousand miles on it. But it’s possible coincidently it failed at same time I did the smog work so I won’t rule that out.

I think your temp gauge was reading a gas pocket. It will take 15-20 minutes idling to get warm enough to open the thermostat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom