Insurance policy references for new FJ60 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,
Picking up my first LC, a 60 series in LA on Tuesday. Gotta find an insurance policy, wanting to get off my parents plan too. Starting fresh so any provider or policy advice would be great. Don’t want anything too expensive I don’t think?

Ik
Hi all,
Picking up my first LC, a 60 series in LA on Tuesday. Gotta find an insurance policy, wanting to get off my parents plan too. Starting fresh so any provider or policy advice would be great. Don’t want anything too expensive I don’t think?
registering in Idaho btw

AAA Auto Club was the best I found in SoCal. There's a small annual dues fee to be a member of the club but the insurance savings more than made up for it by a long shot.
Also never have to go into DMV again. Can do DMV stuff at a nice AAA office instead.

you'll need to know what kind of coverage you want with what deductables and such
going with a $1000 deductable versus $500 will save some
full coverage?
I think the state will require minumum limits on some of the coverage
I would use an independent agent that can check several companies versus a captive agent that only represents 1 company

Look for a stated value policy. Many collector car ins companies will entertain this, but may have mileage limits. If you get a standard ins company policy, any total loss will likely be comped far below actual market value.

I’m looking at American collectors insurance. Seems reasonably priced .. but I’m older than you

Look for a stated value policy. Many collector car ins companies will entertain this, but may have mileage limits. If you get a standard ins company policy, any total loss will likely be comped far below actual market value.

I’m looking at American collectors insurance. Seems reasonably priced .. but I’m older than you

I just played this game this summer

Find the cheapest full coverage policy you can

I rock State Farm

then go get three separate appraisals, does not have to be much more than a dealership stating it’s value all the way down to a real appraisal from an appraiser

the only thing hey can do at that point is honor your appraisal value. It’s a third party statement on the vehicle done three times.

then insurance gives you what you want/need, not your fault they undercharged you for the proper insurance, they even take pics and know what they are insuring before giving you a full coverage quote

I just played this game this summer

Find the cheapest full coverage policy you can

I rock State Farm

then go get three separate appraisals, does not have to be much more than a dealership stating it’s value all the way down to a real appraisal from an appraiser

the only thing hey can do at that point is honor your appraisal value. It’s a third party statement on the vehicle done three times.

then insurance gives you what you want/need, not your fault they undercharged you for the proper insurance, they even take pics and know what they are insuring before giving you a full coverage quote
Could I just get the quote that’s reasonably priced and then get one or two appraisals after? (I would do it as soon as possible BEFORE an accident god forbid) and then do I submit those appraisals to insurance or hold on to them until I would hypothetically submit a claim?

Could I just get the quote that’s reasonably priced and then get one or two appraisals after? (I would do it as soon as possible BEFORE an accident god forbid) and then do I submit those appraisals to insurance or hold on to them until I would hypothetically submit a claim?
Done need to submit anything, if you do good chance they will drop or increase your rate

they told me three, so that’s what I’ve done for each of my rigs

All for the if they don’t pay out just Incase of an accident or underpay

just a big safety net

Done need to submit anything, if you do good chance they will drop or increase your rate

they told me three, so that’s what I’ve done for each of my rigs

All for the if they don’t pay out just Incase of an accident or underpay

just a big safety net
Gotcha, should I specify value added modifications before I start policy? Previous owner put on a lift, and tire carrier on. I’m also planning on doing my engine rebuild soon, I’ll keep all reciepts but should I “specify” these expensive repairs right when they happen or after god forbid I have an accident and submit a claim?
Thanks for all your and everyone else’s help
Dan

Gotcha, should I specify value added modifications before I start policy? Previous owner put on a lift, and tire carrier on. I’m also planning on doing my engine rebuild soon, I’ll keep all reciepts but should I “specify” these expensive repairs right when they happen or after god forbid I have an accident and submit a claim?
Dan
Planning on getting online quote with the selected deductibles etc as low as I can and still get fill coverage, and before I accept it call an agent to specify modifications and see if I can negotiate lower, then starting the policy. A few weeks later I’ll get at least two appraisers or shops to give me value And then I’m peachy? Making sure I’m not forgetting something important

Dan
When they see your rig they take those into account

your better off trying too negotiate an agreed value of the rig vs a cheaper monthly rate

Well after seeing this discussion I have requested from my insurance agent that we raise my insurance from liability only to $18k agreed value. Stay tuned. Their "central office" has to make a determination of value (based on some pics I sent) and whether they will want to cover me for that much or at all (scary brush guard and lift). And off road coverage is out the window. Basically they won't cover any off road damage. Off roading is "don't ask, don't tell". Waiting for their response.

Well after seeing this discussion I have requested from my insurance agent that we raise my insurance from liability only to $18k agreed value. Stay tuned. Their "central office" has to make a determination of value (based on some pics I sent) and whether they will want to cover me for that much or at all (scary brush guard and lift). And off road coverage is out the window. Basically they won't cover any off road damage. Off roading is "don't ask, don't tell". Waiting for their response.
How did this go? and whats the annual expense they gave you for an agreed upon value?

When they see your rig they take those into account

your better off trying too negotiate an agreed value of the rig vs a cheaper monthly rate
I thought you said if i get appraisals and an agreed upon value upfront its going to jack up rates, and its better to do a typical policy with private appraisals done myself for the just in case?

I thought you said if i get appraisals and an agreed upon value upfront its going to jack up rates, and its better to do a typical policy with private appraisals done myself for the just in case?

Currently have my house and 3 cars under liberty mutual. Used State Farm for a while and they were good too.

Agreed upon value?
Right now I just have full coverage....comprehensive and collision on my cruiser. I also have it listed as being driven 2500 miles per year. I learned about the whole agreed upon value via mud but I haven’t changed my coverage yet.

How did this go? and whats the annual expense they gave you for an agreed upon value?
My local agent was able to tell me that it will go up about $190 / yr. I currently pay $314/yr for liability only, pleasure driving up to 8500 mi/yr right now on a multi-discount policy. With deductibles 250 for comp, and $500 for collision. With liability protection of bodily injury 250k per person, 500k per accident and property damage $100k per accident. These are higher than min state requirement but with the cost of health care and vehicle values rising it's a good idea.

This will be variable based on your age, sex, where you live, if you have multi-policy discount...like homeowners and other vehicles, amount of accidents and traffic violations...etc. Also the amount of ins you pay depends on how high your liability and property coverage is, and how high the deductible are. Also the quality of the ins company itself may cost you more.
I mean if you go with a highly rated, financially sound company that always pays out, you will pay more. If you go with a low rated company you may save on premiums. A high rated company will only insure you if you have a good driving record. And will drop you if you start having accidents even if it's not your fault. Sucks but thats how they operate.,

I'm still waiting to hear from their Central Office if they will agree to my suggested "agreed" amount. It does suck that they don't insure a 4wd vehicle to go off road. But my main concern is to keep from having my vehicle totalled for less than I think it's worth by another parties ins co. Read my story from 2015 where I struggled with another persons ins. co after they slammed into me on the interstate. fj60 wrecked today on the interstate - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-wrecked-today-on-the-interstate.893996/#post-10050940

hard to believe the State of Virginia has set insurance coverage limits so low. This from the DMV website

Virginia requires the following minimum coverage:

• Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
  • Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000
  • Property damage $20,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom