93-94 air flow meter AFM rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to fully derail, but is availability on these as bad for all years or just the 93-94? I have a 91 and suspect an issue...

Just to report back. The AFM does work as advertised. It seems like the spring tension on the door for the meter isn’t as good as the one that was on it, but I’ve put 3k-ish miles on the truck with this rebuilt unit and it does work.
Hi what engine are you running is it the 1fz-fe?

I purposely avoided the eBay dude and went with Bavarian Restorations. It is more expensive but in my experience with BOTH eBay dude and BavRest, I can undoubtedly state, you get what you pay for.
I’m glad the eBay guy is working out for several folks, I personally didn’t like his work, it wasn’t top notch like BavRest.

eBay dude spray paints the exterior, strips out the screws on the bottom of the VAF, uses very little silicone on the plastic cover up top, and minor details that doesn’t bolster my confidence in his work. Also, my truck had his vaf in it and it needed repair again. I sent it to BavRest.

So far, 500+ miles and zero issues.

I purposely avoided the eBay dude and went with Bavarian Restorations. It is more expensive but in my experience with BOTH eBay dude and BavRest, I can undoubtedly state, you get what you pay for.
I’m glad the eBay guy is working out for several folks, I personally didn’t like his work, it wasn’t top notch like BavRest.

eBay dude spray paints the exterior, strips out the screws on the bottom of the VAF, uses very little silicone on the plastic cover up top, and minor details that doesn’t bolster my confidence in his work. Also, my truck had his vaf in it and it needed repair again. I sent it to BavRest.

So far, 500+ miles and zero issues.
I think this is well-taken criticism. I may send out my original to BavRest and keep the one I have on now as a spare. It probably has a lot to do with what your particular VAF issue is, too, as to which works for you. You are correct that Resurrected Auto does not, at least in our cases, use enough silicone on the plastic cover. Really hard to understand that one.

I think this is well-taken criticism. I may send out my original to BavRest and keep the one I have on now as a spare. It probably has a lot to do with what your particular VAF issue is, too, as to which works for you. You are correct that Resurrected Auto does not, at least in our cases, use enough silicone on the plastic cover. Really hard to understand that one.
Yeah, I don’t want to bash him. He offers a service that not a lot of places offer. I had many discussions with him about the VAFs he sells prior to my purchase. I bought a VAF from his eBay site, I offered $320 which he accepted. He told me this VAF was never opened, had no issues and would work without issue. However, when I got it delivered, I was able to immediately identify that the VAF was in fact opened up due to the stripped screws and lack of silicone.

A few more “back and forths” with him about how I felt he misrepresented the product went nowhere. I just sent it back and got my money refunded.

Of everything on my 94, the VAF is the one component w/o a workaround that is unobtanium and could brick my truck. It scares me and I wish Toyota would kindly make a run of these parts as so many trucks are still on the road. It's certainly not like any of the components inside have gone EOL.

100% agree. I so wish there was a workaround or a MAF switch. This thread has actually enticed me to get my old one serviced ASAP so I know I have a working spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom