Turkey Creek/Rug Road Difficulty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
A buddy and I are planning to go camping Thursday night, but he is in a pretty stock long-bed Tundra and isn't really about the serious off-roading. We usually go north up to Crown King, Edge of the World, Milk Ranch Point or similar and his truck does fine. Looking for something new to both of us and was wondering about the Turkey Creek campsite on the Rug Road trail. I've never been down there and have seen conflicting reports of difficulty in getting there. Open to other considerations as well, either up north or down south. Its just a quick one night camp to shake down some new gear and hang out.

A buddy and I are planning to go camping Thursday night, but he is in a pretty stock long-bed Tundra and isn't really about the serious off-roading. We usually go north up to Crown King, Edge of the World, Milk Ranch Point or similar and his truck does fine. Looking for something new to both of us and was wondering about the Turkey Creek campsite on the Rug Road trail. I've never been down there and have seen conflicting reports of difficulty in getting there. Open to other considerations as well, either up north or down south. Its just a quick one night camp to shake down some new gear and hang out.
. One of my favorite places is camping down haggler creek near the water fall. Does he have 4wd? He won't need to get down there but there is a couple of rocky hills that will require 4wd to make it out

Take this road down till you hit the creek (only one way in and out) I would say there is about 5 useable camp spots down there. If you hike upstream you will hit the falls which is about 2 stories tall. Very cool spot

34°14'55.3"N 110°57'31.7"W

. One of my favorite places is camping down haggler creek near the water fall. Does he have 4wd? He won't need to get down there but there is a couple of rocky hills that will require 4wd to make it out

Take this road down till you hit the creek (only one way in and out) I would say there is about 5 useable camp spots down there. If you hike upstream you will hit the falls which is about 2 stories tall. Very cool spot

34°14'55.3"N 110°57'31.7"W

That actually looks like a great spot. How is the pin striping getting down there? That is his biggest concern, and he does have 4wd, but stock size ATs, no lift and that long bed/wheelbase.

That actually looks like a great spot. How is the pin striping getting down there? That is his biggest concern, and he does have 4wd, but stock size ATs, no lift and that long bed/wheelbase.
It's a well traveled area so you should able to avoid pin striping. Stock rigs can handle this no problem as long as they have 4wd or send it with an AWD system to get out. You will know which accent/decent I'm talking about when you take the road.

My brother in law took his long bed silverado 4x4 with road tires and did fine.

Turkey Creek from Klondyke would be ok in his truck; several creek crossings, but none that should pose any issues for his Tundra.

Turkey Creek from the Rug Rd side would be ill-advised given what you are/aren’t looking for.

Turkey Creek from Klondyke would be ok in his truck; several creek crossings, but none that should pose any issues for his Tundra.

Turkey Creek from the Rug Rd side would be ill-advised given what you are/aren’t looking for.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. I figured there were probably two ways of getting there, but was only aware of Rug Road. Will look into Klondike option for a future trip. Really liking the Haigler Creek option for this week.

Only commenting because you also mentioned Crown King: just make sure the GPS doesn't take you to Turkey Creek south of Cleator. That trail was very adventurous when we ran it about two years ago, and bits got bent.

Rug road to Turkey Creek Camping - One of my favorites!

I was at Rug Road a week or so ago, BLM and Forest service were working on a wash out that had occurred recently forcing a group from the Mammoth side to turn around and go back. The BLM guys told me the washout was 3-4 feet deep and several yards wide and there was not an option to go around. Good thing it had snowed overnight and forced a end around to the Klondyke side to get to Turkey Creek camping.
1617063719907.jpeg

I may need to run down and meet up with @Stepmurr, @ARJMN to do a little trail recon. I was intrigued by the report from a local and the BLM folks.

Last edited:
^^^once again, a rare sighting of the elusive and mysterious Snow Leopard of the Sonoran desert...

I may need to run down and meet up with @Stepmurr, @ARJMN to do a little trail recon. I was intrigued by the report from a local and the BLM folks.
I saw a large group of Rubicon's heading that way this morning. :hmm:

Forest service told me it was a group of Jeeps that reported the issues with the road and had to turn around. Might need to go investigate

Isn't that the norm? :rofl:

Isn't that the norm? :rofl:
It’s a Jeep thing, we wouldn’t understand. I also heard that there was at least one rig that ran out of gas. I always encourage people to top off, so much easier than having to wait for gas to come to you or having to bum gallons off another rig.

I remember a story of Shannon running out of gas on a club run and having to siphon from another truck, mouth full of gas is enough to remind people to star a run on a full tank of fuel.

I remember a story of Shannon running out of gas on a club run and having to siphon from another truck, mouth full of gas is enough to remind people to star a run on a full tank of fuel.

Few years back on the north of the canyon run were encouraged to have extra gas along if your weren't sure had enough for between stations. No names but someone brought a five gallon can of gas with no way to pour it in the tank. I had a funnel setup to work in the same series cruiser.

Because a couple of my cruisers rarely get near a gas station I fill gas cans to use. Holding a five gallon jerry can up that has a small spout for the eighties unleaded reduced opening fill neck gets old quick. I know use HF five gallon plastic cans that seal well with no fumes and have one of those self priming hoses. No mouth full of gas here.