'78 FJ40 3-point retractable seat belts - aftermarket opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TEQ

Tigger
Threads
Website
www.kindel.com
Today my driver's seatbelt retraction mechanism gave up the ghost. The plastic is cracked/broken on the gearing and it sticks retracted. I've swapped the passenger unit over for now.

Searching around I see various aftermarket sets available. I'd love people's opinions before I buy.

Cool Cruisers: Seat Belts - 9/72-84 - FJ40 - Pair - Shoulder Harnesses - Aft Mrkt - https://www.coolcruisers.com/77to84pairof.html
$194/pair
They actually look the nicest of all I've seen.
L6nJbT3.png

SOR: Page 305 Land Cruiser Seat Belts-Factory - https://www.sor.com/cat305.sor
$98.25/each
Look kinda old-skool.
ZnMvX4i.png

Cruiser Corps: Black Seat Belts - 3 Point Lap & Shoulder Retractable Front - FJ40, FJ45 1972-1984 - https://cruisercorps.com/products/seat-belts-3-point-lap-shoulder-retractable-front-black
$185/pari
Out of Stock
deb4bcbf8767be0854b63e81ec03f793_500x.jpg

Seat Belts Plus: 3 Point Retractable Seat Belt, Push Button, Contoured Sleeve, Black - https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH201P-Black.html?utm_content=shopping&msclkid=a374e83a0def12d71712885b46303c86&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=4580634166899513
May not actually fit an FJ40
$72/each
WSCH201P-3-POINT-RETRACTABLE-SEAT-BELT-BLACK-1000.jpg

Anyone have any experience with any of these and would care to comment? Thanks in advance.

We had the Cool Cruisers kit in our 71 FJ40.

Mostly because there weren’t any other options back then when we bought it back in the late 90s.

IIRC it’s from a CJ aftermarket supplier originally?

Seemed to work fine but didn’t like getting rained on very much. Made weird noises after a few T-storms. Ours only had a bikini top—also from a CJ.

I don’t know if it’s the same kit they used in the 1990s or has China come up with something new.

I am doing the same search. I assume if you go with any of these you lose the seat belt alarm functionality? I dont think mine works now but I see the brake/seat belt light under the dash.

I have the Cool Cruisers of TX model and the install was super easy and I really like them. I'm 5'-10" and they don't strangle me at the throat like i was worried about. Mechanisms lock up like you would expect so I am very pleased and now street legal again. :cool:

I installed the Cruiser Corps belts (grey version) in my 79 about 2 years ago. (seatbelt review here) Shoulder belts up front, and lap belts in the rear. I am still very happy with them, and would buy them again. I really like the extra length in all the belts over the OEM Takata belts. You are correct that the seatbelt buzzer no longer buzzes, but the light still works (e.g. it lights up for a few seconds on every startup). Getting the buzzer to work again would require some custom electrical work, probably pretty simple though.

I have this, if you want it and see if you can make it work for you. Not sure if it is the right year for you needs. The catch is different than the one on my ‘82.
It seems to be locked up and I have not taken it apart. Maybe someone will chime in as to weather they can be fixed and made to work. I am not selling, as it is a safety item. Yours just for shipping cost. PM with any thoughts.
4D427EBB-1E19-49E5-B4F5-E54BCD90D796.jpeg
52421C41-80A7-4958-A81D-ACCA0F2E20A7.jpeg

Believe the receiver attached to the bucket seat 1/76-12/78. 1/79+ the receiver bolted to the floor. In a vehicle that had three point seat belts from the factory would stick to the original style. My 68 I used one from a 79 because they were available with the roll bar.

Believe the receiver attached to the bucket seat 1/76-12/78. 1/79+ the receiver bolted to the floor. In a vehicle that had three point seat belts from the factory would stick to the original style. My 68 I used one from a 79 because they were available with the roll bar.
Same for our 71.

I just installed the CCOT seat belts, and so far they seem great. Their site says that they are not intended to mount to the hardtop/OEM mount points, but since I don't have my rollbar in yet, I just went ahead and did that anyway. I just needed a thick washer on the topmost mount point to keep the 7/16 20 bolt from bottoming out on the outside sheetmetal of the hardtop... like some PO had already done! LOL My favorite feature of the CCOT vs any other options was the receiver. It has the round cable stalk with the top facing release button. The stalk could be about an inch shorter, but I suppose it accommodates other usage cases, not sure.

I have this, if you want it and see if you can make it work for you.

I really appreciate the offer. I've torn into mine far enough to know that if the plastic in the mechanism is broken, there's no realistic way of fixing it and still have it be safe. So I am committed to buying new belts/mechanisms.

I have the CCOT belts in my '78. They were easy to install and work OK. Sometimes the inertia reel gets stuck and I can't pull it out. They did not seem very robust to me at install. Had I known at the time I would have gone with

These from Seat belt planet

Veteran owned and "assembled" in USA.

1617057646557.png

I have the CCOT belts in my '78. They were easy to install and work OK. Sometimes the inertia reel gets stuck and I can't pull it out. They did not seem very robust to me at install. Had I known at the time I would have gone with

These from Seat belt planet

Veteran owned and "assembled" in USA.

View attachment 2630117

You had me at "veteran owned". Intrigued! Thanks.

I used seat belt planet, SKU305 version belts front and rear as I recall. Attached the upper point and retractor roll cage I put in at the same time. Used a GEO Tracker bench seat in the back. On front seats I ran the outboard mount point back to the fender, so when retracted there was no tripping hazard to get in the back, as if that was the only entanglement of getting in the back of a 40. I used the short 4.5 inch rigid mount receivers as I got tired of the strap mounted ends in my 73 falling down and rattling on the center console. The are nice to buckle into, but stick up real rigid and you can bang you elbow on the whole deal. Maybe the short cable would be better. I mounted them to the seat attachment point where the stock ones were.

My only gripe is that the retractor brake is so damn touchy that they lock up with any movement of the occupant, or any little jostle or bump, which is occurring about 99% of the time a 40 is in motion. They can be tiring off roading because they will lock hard with any sway or movement, not letting you naturally bob and weave with the truck. Also limits leaning forward for stuff, and they even lock if you pull ever so slightly too fast. Forget buckling if you are already moving.

I'm not sure how to remedy the issue. I like the belts overall, but they are way too touchy. But been putting up with if for 6 years, too cheap to try another.

I used Seatbelt Solutions and they are OK, just too long. They need to be about 110" to keep the slack out of the belt when retracted to prevent the unused belt from banging around unless it is fastened. Called Seatbelt Solutions and they will shorten them up for $50.00 plus shipping. Otherwise they are fine. Ordered them from Summit Racing and the price was reasonable.

I ordered my rear ones too long, they also bang around and won't retract fully. I just leave them buckeled when not in use. On mine I noticied the end of the strapping is just sewed over a small steel rod. To shorten them you take the covers off the retractor, let them out all the way, slide out of retractor and then cut off to shorten. Then you just need to fold over the end again and resew with room for the little metal rod to slip into the hole left. The wraps around the retractor probably hold most of the force. You could probably sew it by hand with a big needle or awl settup. I've been meaning to just set our better sewing machine in the back of the 40, pull the ends over and see if we can get it to sew them. It may result in many broken needles and wife enragement too (we both loose patience with sewing projects).

I used seat belt planet, SKU305 version belts front and rear as I recall. Attached the upper point and retractor roll cage I put in at the same time. Used a GEO Tracker bench seat in the back. On front seats I ran the outboard mount point back to the fender, so when retracted there was no tripping hazard to get in the back, as if that was the only entanglement of getting in the back of a 40. I used the short 4.5 inch rigid mount receivers as I got tired of the strap mounted ends in my 73 falling down and rattling on the center console. The are nice to buckle into, but stick up real rigid and you can bang you elbow on the whole deal. Maybe the short cable would be better. I mounted them to the seat attachment point where the stock ones were.

My only gripe is that the retractor brake is so damn touchy that they lock up with any movement of the occupant, or any little jostle or bump, which is occurring about 99% of the time a 40 is in motion. They can be tiring off roading because they will lock hard with any sway or movement, not letting you naturally bob and weave with the truck. Also limits leaning forward for stuff, and they even lock if you pull ever so slightly too fast. Forget buckling if you are already moving.

I'm not sure how to remedy the issue. I like the belts overall, but they are way too touchy. But been putting up with if for 6 years, too cheap to try another.

I am finally back in Utah and was able to try out the Seatbelt Planet set I bought.

The build quality seems great. However, the belt is simply too long when mounted to the roll cage mount. As a result the belt will not retract all the way. I take my top off, so I do not want to mount to the roof mount point.

Disappointed.

I only installed the passenger side as my old passenger side is now on the driver's side and still works.

Sigh.

I just installed a set from Cool Cruiser of TX and I think they are pretty high quality. Only had them installed a few months now but no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom