Tie rod clearance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is any clearance enough? I bought 4 tires and wheels at a great price from friend. But then discovered that they don’t quite fit. I put a set of one inch wheel spacers and they fit fine. I’m not comfortable running spacers for all the known reasons. I recently rebuilt the entire front end and decided to look at clearance issue again. Anyone remember the technical term “rch “? Well that is what I have. With everything in place I need 1/16 to clear the knuckle arm and outer rim. As I see it all I need to do is grind the outer top edge of the arm 1/16 and all is clear. In my mind since the arm and the outer rim position does not change it should not matter if I have 1/16 or an inch. Have I missed something obvious? Thanks for any input

F348C3A9-232B-47D3-8CC6-14E942FB30CE.jpeg

E6724240-6C87-4D9A-A477-CDE374C216A8.jpeg

Been there , done that. Wheels on stock cruisers fitment requires 3.25 inch backspacing. You must measure before you commit. Personally, I would not use more than 1/4 inch spacers.

Wheel back.PNG

There is not enough thread engagement on that tie rod. If it was me i would not grind down the steering arm.

If you run spacers, you should also consider longer lug nut studs.
Definitely address the reduced thread engagement caused by the spacer..
I have had good success with extended thread lug nuts.

For various reasons I need to run 1/4" spacers on my '79 fj55. I have used them in the past with no problems. Looking on Amazon I see quite a few options, but don't see the center bore dimension. Some look like they won't fit the hub. Chevy style. Anybody got a link to some that work with our toyotas? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom