Advice - FJ60 with SOA, extended Bilsteins, arched springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Looking for a little advice on a potential purchase.

I'm looking at an FJ60 that has a solid body/frame, normal wear and tear on the interior but definitely in need of a bit of love. Mechanically, the thing is a beast: SOA, extended Bilsteins, 35" tires, re-arched springs, air lockers front and back, and vortec 350 with low miles.

The issue is that its got (I'm guessing) 6-8inches of space between the top of the tires and the arch. I know that to many here, that's ideak. And I think it's pretty darn cool too - but I'd use this as a daily X fishing truck and just don't need that much lift. I can deal with 3-5" but not 8".

What are my options to lower it a few inches? I'd prefer to leave the SOA in place, if possible.

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 6.20.22 PM.png

The ideal springs for spring over axle mounting is old worn out flattened original spring packs that don't have extra leaves.
Unless you're in love with the fake monster truck look, I'd avoid buying a SOA cruiser if you want to enjoy driving it on pavement.

stock flat springs are your only easy option, anything else is going to be a lot of cutting and welding, like he said it's probably not the right 60 to meet your goals

Thanks @OSS. The springs were just re-arched, how much would that drop the lift - 2-3"?

Also read that the extended bilsteins can be used to raise the ride height by 2.5" inches.

Wondering if between the flat springs and new/adjusted Bilsteins, I can get 3-5" lower....?

Thanks @cruisermatt - def not equipped at the moment for the cutting and welding. If this one doesn't work out, I'll be 2/2 - see this thread: Warning / Scam: Fraud on a black/grey 1988 FJ62 selling online - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/warning-scam-fraud-on-a-black-grey-1988-fj62-selling-online.1242202/#post-13737709

shocks don't change ride height. No one can guess on how much different changes are going to effect anything without actual good pictures of the current setup

Keeping SOA would mean replacing springs, but then you'd still have a tall truck. Ditching SOA would be cheaper while providing a better ride. With the re arched springs you could probably run 33" tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom