Beer, Blisters and Blood - Breathing Life Back Into 1991 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would take a really long and close look at your frame, especially the front. I have worked on 3-4 old trucks that were used as plow trucks some as low as 15,000 original miles. They lived hard lives with busted and mangled frames, trashed steering, wasted suspension and more.

Cheers
I think the frame is the only thing right on the LC so far. Just about everything else is toast. In all seriousness, the PO only plowed his 1/4 mi drive way on his estate. I got away lucky with no frame damage.

For those cylinder bores, the scoring does not look horrible. I would pick up a bore gauge to determine if the bore is worn beyond tolerance. That will determine if it is worth honing or boring. In order to achieve a proper honing, you will be disassembling the bottom end as well and you will be removing bearings, you will be removing the pistons and most likely replacing the rings. It does not appear to have a ring groove at the top edge and you cannot catch a fingernail on it. That would be good for basic wear.

I do not see how you know those valves are burned without disassembling them. A burned valve is evident upon disassembly and the etching that occurs. Carbon buildup on the valves does not indicate burning of a valve.

Make sure that whatever you disassemble, make sure to keep it in order and know exactly which part comes from where and in what order.

I would suggest a parts washer to clean up that valve train.

As much gunk is inside that engine, it needs a thorough cleaning.

Thanks @BILT4ME. I though anytime the valves looks that white it was a good indication of overheating and burnt valves.

I'll also get a bore guage and check the cylinders. I might just get everything apart and get it over to the machine shop. I know my crank will need work so I should have them check everything over.

Thanks again for the clarity!!

Last night I was supposed to have just a quick drink and dinner with am old friend. Well, he brought out the Pappy and one turned into a few too many.

Happly I was still up at 6 and had the motor, crank and head ready for the machine shop by 2. The machine shop wait time is about 6 weeks for them to be done. This gives me time to do the fun stuff like clean, clean, clean and order parts.

I am have a formidable list of things to tackle. I think the hard part is mostly be hind me. The rust and dirt severaly added to the tear down time.

Another good thing happened. When I finally got the crank out I was able to get a good measure on the #1 spun bearing. It is sitting right at .23 out of STD speck. They may be able to get a .25 and for sure a .50 grind in it. This is going to save $ and time. Fingers crossed that I measured it correctly.

20210321_093438.jpg

20210321_142155.jpg

20210321_093416.jpg

20210319_192937.jpg

Man, I admire your commitment here. Looking forward to seeing it come back together again! One thing I remember from my FJ62 is the oil galley plug on the 3FE. If you haven’t already addressed it, now would be a great time to do so with the engine out.

Also, nice casual Pappy reference 😳. I hope to try it someday! I have the same bottle of Hibiki on my bar, wife just gifted it to me today for our anniversary 🤙🏻

Man, I admire your commitment here. Looking forward to seeing it come back together again! One thing I remember from my FJ62 is the oil galley plug on the 3FE. If you haven’t already addressed it, now would be a great time to do so with the engine out.

Also, nice casual Pappy reference 😳. I hope to try it someday! I have the same bottle of Hibiki on my bar, wife just gifted it to me today for our anniversary 🤙🏻
Thanks @djsolution. Still a lot of unknowns. This is completely new territory for me. Always appreciate the kind words.

I looked up how much the Pappy is going for. My God it's now up to $2500. The Hibiki is a great whiskey for a reasonable value. It was a good night 🤪. Are you finding the Hibiki getting a little harder to get?

Yeah Pappy is insane, not only crazy expensive but really hard to find! Good on ya for nabbing bottle! I love the Hibiki, my wife ordered it online but I’ve found it locally here in VA at an ABC. Good stuff!

Yeah Pappy is insane, not only crazy expensive but really hard to find! Good on ya for nabbing bottle! I love the Hibiki, my wife ordered it online but I’ve found it locally here in VA at an ABC. Good stuff!
In Wisconsin it is like hens teeth. There are ridiculous state laws about online sellers shipping to the state as well. My brother sends it to me from Vegas. Glad you can get it locally. Cheers

In Wisconsin it is like hens teeth. There are ridiculous state laws about online sellers shipping to the state as well. My brother sends it to me from Vegas. Glad you can get it locally. Cheers
Ok, last whisky post before I get kicked out of tech forums... just a humble brag on my 2 year anniversary gift (which is traditionally cotton btw)...
CE97B508-AE40-4B32-90E3-1437C46BE525.jpeg

Hibiki and a TEQ blanket. I’d say I’m doing something right. Maybe Pappy for a 10 or 20 year hitch, we’ll see. Ok, back to the tech 😆

Ok, last whisky post before I get kicked out of tech forums... just a humble brag on my 2 year anniversary gift (which is traditionally cotton btw)...View attachment 2622133

Hibiki and a TEQ blanket. I’d say I’m doing something right. Maybe Pappy for a 10 or 20 year hitch, we’ll see. Ok, back to the tech 😆
Ahhh, nice whiskey and scotch. It is a tough choice:)

2300 miles from Madison WI to Bozeman MT in 43 hours. Hell of a road trip. Thank you @mason for letting your 3fe go to a good home.

I am one more big step closer to getting my LC back on the road.

20210327_153505.jpg

2300 miles from Madison WI to Bozeman MT in 43 hours. Hell of a road trip. Thank you @mason for letting your 3fe go to a good home.

I am one more big step closer to getting my LC back on the road.

View attachment 2628323

The questionable motor support brackets held.i did a couple stops to see if anything was moving. Solid as it needed to be!

20210327_153511.jpg

20210327_153500.jpg

And.....

Big thank you to @mason for throwing in a host of other parts he didn't need for his V8 swap. These parts are going to save time and $.

Safe and sound until I can play again.

You will notice the completely dodgy hoist at 1/4 ton mark. I did a lot of slow, gentle movements and I was very nervous. I am still a dumb ass for risking this lift. I really wish I would have bought the 2 ton jack. I got lucky today!

20210328_094130.jpg

20210328_095804.jpg

20210328_102509.jpg

Last edited:
After a couple more hours of stuck bolts and breaking bolts I pulled a old transmission and transfer case. It looks like the drive train was parked at the bottom of the ocean. Ill be spending the day trying to get all the needed peices off wire wheel then and get them painted to prevent further rust.

20210404_100415.jpg

20210404_100406.jpg

20210404_100403.jpg

20210404_100410.jpg

20210404_100507.jpg

Got to spend a full day pressure washing the new to me motor, the land cruiser engine bay and the under carriage. The under side is looking much better! The new to me motor was already in good shape now it looks really good.

Next I need to bolt up the transfer case and start connecting the endless amount of hoses and wires.

After cleaning the engine bay I hit a number of rusty spots with a wire wheel. Then pained with a brush and oil based paint. Once dried I hit it with bed liner spreay. Time consuming but much better. There are a number of spots left to do before the drive train goes in.

20210405_194710.jpg

20210405_194719.jpg

20210405_194728.jpg

20210405_194735.jpg

Last edited:
Motor is just sitting in place. Now that my wife has her side of the garage back I am going to take my time getting the rest done.

20210411_144219.jpg

She is alive....sort of. Motor is in and she started right up. There is a very rough idle that I am chasing down. It runs fine when driving. There are many 3fe posts with a similar issue that I am going to start with. Either way, good to have an 80 back in the driveway!

20210530_131036.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom