Dashboard Lights/ TRD Air Intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Do you have any knowledge about the dashboard lights going off after installing a new TRD air intake system on a 2008 FJ Cruiser? I’ve got this for 2 years but it started showing these lights from the very first time it was installed. I replaced gas cap, mass air sensor ( which shows error when running the diagnostic ), changed spark plugs, and cleaned air filter.
After all that, this problem comes and goes sporadically. I noticed after cleaning the system and fulling certain types of gas it improves some.
I took it to the dealership and the charge for getting it fixed, without success. They advise to go back to the stock air system if this continues...

B4836985-8E03-4BE1-AF75-BF60F7AD6995.jpeg

What codes is it generating? All the lights come on for attention. Rarely does the check engine come on by itself. This could be any number of things.
All those in yellow, come and go all together at the same time. The codes is for air mass sensor

The obvious answer is, something on your snorkle installation is interfering with the MAF sensor. Could be something as simple as the velocity of the air at that spot where it is measured has been been changed by the snorkle (Bernoulli principle). MAF sensors in some cars are very sensitive to changes in environment, dirt, etc. I don't know if Toyotas are any more or less sensitive than others in this regard.

The obvious answer is, something on your snorkle installation is interfering with the MAF sensor. Could be something as simple as the velocity of the air at that spot where it is measured has been been changed by the snorkle (Bernoulli principle). MAF sensors in some cars are very sensitive to changes in environment, dirt, etc. I don't know if Toyotas are any more or less sensitive than others in this regard.

What make no sense is that I’m using a TRD accessory made for that car in particular. I even replaced the mass flow air sensor with the same results

What make no sense is that I’m using a TRD accessory made for that car in particular. I even replaced the mass flow air sensor with the same results

Yeah, I have never had a snorkle on any of my trucks, or installed one on anyone else's, just trying to think logically, applying high school physics. Is there by any chance a bolt sticking through inside the body of the snorkle, or have you put a different guard or pre-filter on the intake of the snorkle? Perhaps an imperfect alignment of the snorkle tube or cyclone filter with the intake to the MAF? Trying to envision anything that could disturb the air flow past the MAF even minutely.

Yeah, I have never had a snorkle on any of my trucks, or installed one on anyone else's, just trying to think logically, applying high school physics. Is there by any chance a bolt sticking through inside the body of the snorkle, or have you put a different guard or pre-filter on the intake of the snorkle? Perhaps an imperfect alignment of the snorkle tube or cyclone filter with the intake to the MAF? Trying to envision anything that could disturb the air flow past the MAF even minutely.
I don’t have the snorkel, it’s just the TRD Air Intake system. It comes with a new plastic tube where the OEM air mass flow sensor is relocated. I have run only to turn it slightly up/ Down, but it’s something a haven’t tried. I’ll give a shot...

I don’t have the snorkel, it’s just the TRD Air Intake system. It comes with a new plastic tube where the OEM air mass flow sensor is relocated. I have run only to turn it slightly up/ Down, but it’s something a haven’t tried. I’ll give a shot...

OK, sorry for not reading your original post more clearly. But the same principles apply - look for any minute obstruction or misalignment in the intake system and especially the plastic tube that connects it. I would definitely try a different orientation of the tube and see if that gets any different results. Be sure to reset the OBDII code(s) when testing different alignment configurations; if you don't, it typically takes 10-15 engine starts for existing codes to clear.

OK, sorry for not reading your original post more clearly. But the same principles apply - look for any minute obstruction or misalignment in the intake system and especially the plastic tube that connects it. I would definitely try a different orientation of the tube and see if that gets any different results. Be sure to reset the OBDII code(s) when testing different alignment configurations; if you don't, it typically takes 10-15 engine starts for existing codes to clear.
I will do that!
Many thanks

Pulling battery cable for 20 minutes will also reset the hard codes. BTDT

The TRD cold air kit is notorious for having air leaks. You may need to change some parts to get it to seal properly.
@LOZADAB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom