School me (please) on buying new Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YMT

Threads
I currently own a 1st Gen Tacoma, but, I really need a 4 door for family and work needs. I've spent the last year window shopping online and dealerships, and it's crazy how well Tacoma's hold their value- I have decided to buy new, since they're really not much more than the absurdity that is the used car market (think a 5-10 y/o Tacoma still going for $20k +, with 100k miles).
I've never bought a new car, but have owned many (over 50!) used vehicles- experience has taught me that extra gadgets and gizmos will break, and generally keep repair costs high.
I have been checking out the SR, SR5, and TRD Sport packages- some of the features are nice and wanted, while some are needed.
I need 4x4 and a V6, for living in rural mountains, and 4 doors. I do minor towing 3500-5k lbs, long road trips, but this will not be my off-road rig (I have an FJ80 and will be using my 1st gen for crawling). I intend to keep this truck until it dies. My needs seem fairly simple- but seat quality and durability are higher on my list than frills or convenience packages.

So, are the extra features of a TRD sport worth the extra $11 k, or the extra $5k for SR5? What features are you disappointed about, or that broke already?

I'm open to other aspects I haven't mentioned.

You want a manual or an auto? Short or long bed? There are combinations of these on different trims that's available or not so that might narrow down your options.

Double cab is a need. I'd prefer a 6' bed, but will be fine with a 5'.
I spec'd out SR5 and TRD Sport with Double cabs and both beds, and the SR with a double cab and 5' bed only (not available in 6', at least on the website).

I can drive both, but an auto would be easier

I'd look at the TRD Off-Road too. You can get it with the 6ft bed, double cab and then you get the rear locking diff. I get that you won't be wheeling it but if I had a real situation where I needed 4wd I'd want to know I had at least a rear diff lock available should I need it. I like the look of the black fender flares over the body colored flares on the Sport as well.

I really like the Toyota navigation system and think it's worth the price to not have to rely on our tech overlords for navigation. The "bread crumbs" feature is pretty cool too when you're heading in to areas you're unfamiliar with.

Just a word of advice: You initially stated that you needed a 4-door for family needs. I just wanted you to know that the rear leg room on the Double Cab is nearly zero (the access cab is worse). Unless the front passengers are short, or like the seat in the forward position, the kids in back won't have any leg room. OTOH, the Tundra DC has tons of rear leg room, but then the truck itself is much bigger. Please be sure to check this out before you buy.

^ id have to disagree.

I am no NBA prospect (im 5’11, 180lb) but I’m also looking into getting a 4door 2021. I sat in the back seats and was pleasantly surprised how much room there was. I noticed that it was actually comfortable, and thought it would be perfectly fine if I had to sit back there for a road trip.

But again, I’m not a big guy. my 2¢

I really appreciate the feedback, especially about the back seats and the nav. This is exactly the kind of intel I was hoping to get! Please keep adding!

I know not to rely on sales people to provide unbiased information.

I'm not opposed to the TRD Off-road package. The locker is a feature I have given significant thought to as well.

I found the new taco to be extremely uncomfortable and powertrain to be irritating (power band too high, laggy auto, poor ergonomics with manual). I wanted to love the Taco but after multiple extended test drives I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I would get a Tundra or you might check out the Ranger (overall favorite amongst the mid sizes I drove). The lariat ranger fx4 street price is less than a TRD Offroad Taco too.

I was reading over in TacomaWorld (is that the forum some call 'TacoLand'?) about lots of peeps getting a reflash Tune that fixes all the supposed shift issues with the 3rd Gen Auto trans.

A common complaint seems to be that these trans do 'hunt' and are constantly shifting to find the right gear. I suspect Toyota did this as a strategy for either strict emissions or CAFE gas mileage. But everyone who gets the tune says their gas mileage increases ?

Also, there's a TSB TSB-0092-20 where the Dealer will reflash the ECM to fix this issue.

@PirateMcgee can you expand on the uncomfortableness? Was it interior issues?
For me it's the overall seating position related to the steering wheel and pedal height. For the manual it meant kind of twisting sideways at the knee and rotating my hip to engage the clutch. It's just really odd ergonomics for me. I don't mind the low position and have had 3 toyota pickups and a 4runner with manuals this one is just off.

The auto is better in the newer 3rd gens but it's still poorly matched to the engine. The manual is ok but off the line even towing my 1,000lb teardrop was simply not good. After taking a buddies on stock tires with my trailer but unloaded and having to drop into second to go up a hill it gave me flashbacks of my old 22re trucks. It's fine but every other midsize has a better drivetrain. It also doesn't get very good mileage. In fact my GX460 and 470 pull similar real world mileage with none of the power complaints. I can't see spending 35-40k for one and that's on the lower end of what they're going for new.

Last edited:
I completely understand about the uncomfortableness now. I've experienced that many times with various work trucks and suvs I've had. Things just feeling "off" or "wrong". I definitely appreciate you elaborating on the ergonomic issues.

I definitely will be driving several of these trucks, but, will not buy one if I don't like the ergonomic feel, especially given the $35-40k price tag (that's the range I intend and expect to pay, with various deals and promos offered in the next few months).

After reading @Spike Strip post, I think I need to peruse TW too.

Thanks!

I gotta say, though, I'm spoiled by the quality of forum knowledge and etiquette here on MUD. TW is a whole different animal and it's tedious to sort through all the flat-biller crap.

Curious, anyone know if you can get the rear diff locker in the SR5 model ? Access Cab ?

TW is about 10% tech and 90% Chit Chat/Seriously OT. It's really hard to participate in tech threads over there digging through so many s*** posts and nonsense. I really appreciate the mods over here keeping the tech forums tech.

I just towed a ~5500 lbs load about 40 miles in my automatic and it did fine and mine's lifted and on 33" tires. I had the the ECT PWR turned on and was good to go.

Gas mileage is pretty poor. I've never seen higher than 18 mpg and usually hangs out around 15-16 with normal city driving.

TW is a hot mess. +1 to woody for providing us this great venue.

I just towed 3500lbs of steel to the house with mine and had no issues. ECT was on and when I hit a hill I just put it in 4th (A/T sport mode). 5th and 6th are both over drives in the A/T.

@Spike Strip The TRD OR is the only one with the factory locker, but aftermarket are available. Another thing of note is that the OR model has an 8.8 rear end vs the 8.0 of the other models. M/T models also get the 8.8 IIRC.

TW is a hot mess. +1 to woody for providing us this great venue.

I just towed 3500lbs of steel to the house with mine and had no issues. ECT was on and when I hit a hill I just put it in 4th (A/T sport mode). 5th and 6th are both over drives in the A/T.

@Spike Strip The TRD OR is the only one with the factory locker, but aftermarket are available. Another thing of note is that the OR model has an 8.8 rear end vs the 8.0 of the other models. M/T models also get the 8.8 IIRC.

Thank you -- More I didn't know about the OR model ... Only reason I asked is here in So Cal, those models are short-lived on the lot so they're not dealing or in configurations I don't want... Can anyone recommend a South Western dealer good to deal with. I have no prob flying out and driving one home... 🛻

Thank you -- More I didn't know about the OR model ... Only reason I asked is here in So Cal, those models are short-lived on the lot so they're not dealing or in configurations I don't want... Can anyone recommend a South Western dealer good to deal with. I have no prob flying out and driving one home... 🛻
When adding the price of airfare, hotel, fuel for driving it back to Cali, plus taxes for new registration why not just order the configuration you want and have it delivered to your preferred dealer?

When adding the price of airfare, hotel, fuel for driving it back to Cali, plus taxes for new registration why not just order the configuration you want and have it delivered to your preferred dealer?

This is what I will probably end up doing...

This is my first time on MUD in many years, after joining way back when I had an 80. I sold the 80 (2” OME lift, otherwise mostly stock) and got out of 4wd for a while, then bought a T100 in 2014 and replaced it with a barely used 2016 TRD OffRoad double cab short (5’) bed in early 2016. After the triple-locked 80 I appreciate the rear locker though rarely use it. Mine has the premium package with JBL, nav, sunroof etc and is far and away the fanciest vehicle I’ve owned. With 80K miles on it now (bought it with 5K) it has been trouble free and has held up well ... perceived quality and durability is just as good as the Japanese-built 80. I know that may sound like heresy, but it’s also far more economical, faster, and all-around nicer than the 80, which it should be as a 2016 design vs 1990 with a ‘93 engine. Sure, the V6 and 6 speed AT feels doggy at times but realistically it has much more usable power than the 80 and gets 35% better fuel economy too. If you don’t like the gear it picked, the “manual” mode works adequately. Yeah, the seating position feels weird, but I can drive it just as far in a day as the 80 and I’m 25 years older now too. The back seat seems fine for most adults, maybe not NBA players. Sure there are a few annoyances, aspects of the infotainment system are weird but then my 80 was my first vehicle with a CD so I can put up with unpredictable voice recognition. Also, the 5’ bed is actually quite useful for hauling stuff, but too short to sleep in if you have a shell ... which I had, and sold. The long bed is tempting, but even the short bed is at least a foot longer than the 80. So, in summary, I think it’s a great truck, and I’d go for the TRD OffRoad for better suspension than the Sport, unless you absolutely positively want an AccessCab with manual trans which I’m pretty sure is only available on the Sport.

I completely understand about the uncomfortableness now. I've experienced that many times with various work trucks and suvs I've had. Things just feeling "off" or "wrong". I definitely appreciate you elaborating on the ergonomic issues.

I definitely will be driving several of these trucks, but, will not buy one if I don't like the ergonomic feel, especially given the $35-40k price tag (that's the range I intend and expect to pay, with various deals and promos offered in the next few months).

After reading @Spike Strip post, I think I need to peruse TW too.

Thanks!
Hope you have better luck with the fit! I also drove a ZR2 which felt incredibly cheap, a leftover 19' Frontier Pro4x which was all around solid and inexpensive, a gladiator which was great until the interstate, and a couple of Rangers including one with a tune and the ford fox lift. Overall the Ranger was the most comfortable and had the best real-world power delivery. It probably won't be quite as reliable as a taco but the build quality seemed decent.

I also drove a Tundra but it won't fit in my garage so it was out but otherwise is a great choice.

I was looking to replace my gx470 with a truck since I hunt pretty often but ultimately ended up with a loaded used gx460 which was $70k new and $30k to me with 65k miles and all lexus maintenance since new. The comfort, size, power, stereo was the golidlocks for me. Good luck with finding yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom