Real time help needed - can’t open the lower tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I out with my kids exploring and surf fishing on Cape Hatteras. I just went to unload my 2020 Heritage Edition for the night and I can’t get the lower tailgate to open. I also notice that it doesn’t seem to be closed completely on the drivers side. I can hear it trying to release but it seems like there is something not working on the drivers side. Anyone have an idea how I can get it open? (I’ve had the truck two months so don’t know all the quirks yet or if this is a common issue)

Some images below from the trip we are on.
E2B5CC60-5EDD-4D7D-B83D-E30661C0D1C8.jpeg
676D2433-5215-4BED-936B-E4E7E4F37CA6.jpeg
1C971FCD-51B4-4F78-B03C-FACF1B6A4568.jpeg
82FB4B57-9CC4-4514-B241-11A1FDBFB015.jpeg

I’m having the same issue (in real time) and a lot of trails to drive tomorrow. Any fix for this?

Try to push it closed.
disconnect the battery for 10 min
Try to lock unlock with the fob

I can’t push it closed. I guess I’ll try the battery next. Do you know what would be causing this? Thanks -Gino

Probably wasn’t latched all the way and the electro latch is in between states.
It’s not common but has happened.
Maybe has a sweater or stick in it. Can’t close, won’t open.
Push hard to try to get it closed.

We got it done thanks to @EH200! I’ll post details later, but now we’re headed to the trails. Thanks MUD.

I have a 2017, and had a golf ball roll and drop down in the gap on the side. It prevented me from opening the tailgate. Just a thought, maybe something is in the gap.

Ok folks, we’re back from wheeling in Moab, and I wanted to follow up on this. I don’t know exactly what caused it, but the latch was essentially in between states. It wouldn’t close all the way, nor would it open. Ultimately, we removed the trim panel on the tailgate which involves gently popping a few plastic trim pieces (I used a bottle opener because that’s what I had), and then removing the two bolts on each side to release the trim. Getting this panel out was difficult because we have drawers, so the room to work was extremely limited as you can see in the photo.

Once we got the panel out, my wife was able to get her hand into the driver side of the tailgate, and manually release the latch. Once she located it, it was easy for me to find the latch as well. With the tailgate open, I cleaned up the latch mechanism and put the panel back on. Good to go now, and going forward I’ll regularly clean the latch areas!

Here is the video that @EH200 texted me that night, which is from an Aussie 200 group. The video saved our bacon, and let it be known in the MUD community that I owe EH200 a beer.

C958DD4D-7C0A-4E01-8EEB-86D1E68779CE.jpeg

Ok folks, we’re back from wheeling in Moab, and I wanted to follow up on this. I don’t know exactly what caused it, but the latch was essentially in between states. It wouldn’t close all the way, nor would it open. Ultimately, we removed the trim panel on the tailgate which involves gently popping a few plastic trim pieces (I used a bottle opener because that’s what I had), and then removing the two bolts on each side to release the trim. Getting this panel out was difficult because we have drawers, so the room to work was extremely limited as you can see in the photo.

Once we got the panel out, my wife was able to get her hand into the driver side of the tailgate, and manually release the latch. Once she located it, it was easy for me to find the latch as well. With the tailgate open, I cleaned up the latch mechanism and put the panel back on. Good to go now, and going forward I’ll regularly clean the latch areas!

Here is the video that @EH200 texted me that night, which is from an Aussie 200 group. The video saved our bacon, and let it be known in the MUD community that I owe EH200 a beer.

View attachment 2625094
Thanks for the follow-up. I’m sure this will help someone else out in the future.

View attachment 2625094

Glad I could help! Hope you had a good rest of the trip!

My truck was filled with sand over the weekend on Cape Hatteras so I'll probably be doing this again soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom