Advice on Tundra 18" Steelies (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hijacking this thread for a second. Just have the torsions cranked temporarily but probably ordering a lift sometime this year. Anyone running 285-70-18's? Just under 34" tall or about .5" taller than the 275-70-18's.

I don't, but will be moving to a taller tire when these wear out. Plenty of room for them.

Just an fyi. For all those people that think the steelies are that much heavier. I weighed the stock aluminum 18s and the tundra steel 18s and the steels were 6lbs heavier.

Pretty insignificant if.you ask me.

The Tundra 18's with the round hole (33.4lbs) are lighter than the Tundra 18's with the 5-spokes (39lbs). The foreign spec LC 16x8 steel wheels are ~40lbs.

@neoworm I went to a new tire (same diameter) that is 6 lbs heavier and the difference was quite noticeable. However, all the weight gain was on the outer diameter of the wheel/tire combo.

@neoworm I went to a new tire (same diameter) that is 6 lbs heavier and the difference was quite noticeable. However, all the weight gain was on the outer diameter of the wheel/tire combo.
Sure, whatever, If you say so.

Remember, unsprung (suspension, tires, wheels, rotors, brakes) equals to about 4-5 times static weight. Meaning if your wheels weigh 24lbs total more than stock, it's like driving around with an extra 120 lbs on your seats. Add in heavy tires and that will hurt even more.
I guess for a truck this big it shouldn’t be too bad, but on a sports car unsprung weight makes a huuuuge difference

Are there 16" steelies that fit the 100 series?
Yes, I ran a set on mine for like 10 years. Hard to source from overseas but there are 2 or 3 different versions available on the 70/100 series around the world that would fit a US-spec 100 series. Most are silver/pewter color from the factory.

Yes, I ran a set on mine for like 10 years. Hard to source from overseas but there are 2 or 3 different versions available on the 70/100 series around the world that would fit a US-spec 100 series. Most are silver/pewter color from the factory.
They seem to be plentiful stateside. Why did you order from overseas?

Remember, unsprung (suspension, tires, wheels, rotors, brakes) equals to about 4-5 times static weight. Meaning if your wheels weigh 24lbs total more than stock, it's like driving around with an extra 120 lbs on your seats. Add in heavy tires and that will hurt even more.
I guess for a truck this big it shouldn’t be too bad, but on a sports car unsprung weight makes a huuuuge difference
Hey Im genuinely impressed if you can tell the difference on your 6000lb pig. 👍 You should probably get a cold air intake, I understand they add like 50hp. 😁

Last edited:
Why don't Amazon, UPS and FedEx trucks have aluminum wheels? Serious question. There's no one more focused on logistics/efficiency than those guys. They do nothing but accelerate and brake all day everyday. If that unsprung 6 lbs was that significant to our 100s, imagine what it is for a 15,000 lbs delivery truck.

also:
IMG_2844.PNG

Hijacking this thread for a second. Just have the torsions cranked temporarily but probably ordering a lift sometime this year. Anyone running 285-70-18's? Just under 34" tall or about .5" taller than the 275-70-18's.
I'm running 285/75/18s on my Tundra steelies. Minimal rubbing.

They seem to be plentiful stateside. Why did you order from overseas?
I wanted OEMs, and at the time that I ordered mine there weren't many options for steel wheels available for the 100 series. I now run the Tundra 18" wheels but I think I'd rather go back to 16" wheels at some point.

Wanted to do an update on this thread and thank everyone who shared their advice and photos.

Finally found a set of 5 at a reasonable price on a site allusedrims.com. They were $105 each (plus shipping), and the guy I talked to from the wheel site said they check them for trueness and refinish with powder coat. They looked brand new out of the box, was pleasantly surprised with their condition. I've been after a set for a while, but the stuff on ebay looked pretty beat up and could never get a complete set. They are pretty expensive from the dealer (lowest I've found was around $190). So this was a good deal overall, I would recommend buying from them.

For tires decided to step down from 305/65/18 to 275/70/18. Even though the steelies are 6lbs heavier than the 29lbs Tundra alloys I had before, going down to a skinnier tire probably compensated for the added weight. Acceleration feels a tad better, and the truck feels easier to turn and stop. And no more rubbing at full lock.

Overall, happy with how they turned out - thanks all for the advice.

lc100 tundra steelies1.jpeg

lc100 tundra steelies2.jpeg

lc100 tundra steelies3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom