Time Capsule, 67 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Others have reproduced the rivets a number of ways. I think you can still buy an equivalent for ship building and the like. You'd need the (air) hammer and anvil/die. Wouldn't be too hard if there's a corresponding inner frame hole to work through.

The other way I've heard of is by using a high grade bolt and nut. Once installed just carefully grind the head to look like a rivet. Probably could give the inner nut the same treatment and then weld it to the bolt shank. Just make a note of it in the records so future generations will know the score. Gorgeous 40!
Thanks for the info, I read through the threads, I will post some more pics specific to my situation in hopes that we can all reach a consensus on the best path forward. Just for reassurance, my buddy with the collision center that is helping me with the frame, this is the garage at his house:
20210131_135932.jpg
20210131_135913.jpg

Appears to be a factory mirror. Driver's side only, nothing on passenger side.
20210323_181533.jpg

Door hinges have never been messed with.
20210323_172152.jpg

Such delicate windshield wipers.
20210323_172217.jpg

Are you saying those seat vinyls could he original? I don't see any tool marks on the screws now that you mention it, plus there is a color matched piping on the metal backing.View attachment 2624350

Those seat covers are definitely originals. The red canister is likely a Engine block Heater for keeping the engine warm in extreme cold when sitting. I’ve seen a few in my early ones over the years.

Such an amazing find and time capsule! Congrats!

I’m with JP on the seat covers being original mainly because the rig still has the white pyramid material on the running boards, so this rig must of spent its unused time garaged or such.

That is the horn relay with its cover, score. The “L” Elephant Horn is the low frequency horn, score, the missing one would have an “H” for high pitch frequency. Brake master’s been replaced, still has original tin cup clutch master, score. Remnants of the original hood pads are still there, they are of some fabric sort vs. the solid rubber replacements now available. (JP’s @ClemsonCruiser mom might be able to make some for you, 😂). Wipers original, score, heater shutoff valve original, score. Etc., etc., etc. Yeah, that’s a score!

Hard to tell from first pics but looks like drivers side apron is a little high, so maybe there’s some body alignment wiggle room to get that hood aligned. Coeur d’Alene sticker for oil changes, maybe the rig spent some time in Idaho.

Last edited:
Good eye on the tires.
We are on the same page with preservation. My vision for this is to gently correct the front corner damage 1mm at a time. Then all new rubber bits throughout including the cooling, brakes, seals and even the suspension bushings if they can still be had.

I have a 1967 that's in similar shape as yours, i.e. a bone stock rig. I am going to be going through the same in a month or so... new bushings, brakes, fuel, all the cooling lines, etc.

Toyota doesn't have part numbers going back before 3/69, so do post up any interchanged part numbers that you come across and I'll do the same.

@Goforth (a fellow 1967 owner) shared this with me which I have been using to build my list of parts: FJ40 Parts Catalog Index - The Old Cruiser - https://www.theoldcruiser.com/toyota-land-cruiser-parts-catalogs/fj40-parts-catalog-index-93658-67/

Steve was kind enough to stop by the house coming home with this beauty. It is very cool with so many original features.

I lusted over that radio for sure!!
LOL, you can stop the lust if you buy the OEM AM radio I have for sale in the classifieds :cheers:

I do not recognize this. Does not look like any 40 I have ever owned.

1616605320947.png

I have a 1967 that's in similar shape as yours, i.e. a bone stock rig. I am going to be going through the same in a month or so... new bushings, brakes, fuel, all the cooling lines, etc.

Toyota doesn't have part numbers going back before 3/69, so do post up any interchanged part numbers that you come across and I'll do the same.

@Goforth (a fellow 1967 owner) shared this with me which I have been using to build my list of parts: FJ40 Parts Catalog Index - The Old Cruiser - https://www.theoldcruiser.com/toyota-land-cruiser-parts-catalogs/fj40-parts-catalog-index-93658-67/

Having restored quite a few early 40/45s I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised how many original parts are still available from Mr. T. You can still get shocks, bushings, shackles, paper fuel and oil filters, wiring junction blocks, head gasket kits, down pipes, mufflers, all emblems, lights, etc.

They were actually offered thru Toyota. I have pricing on these and other aftermarket parts in the dealer's book showing cost and retail pricing on parts.
Hey John yes that is what I meant, I've got the same dealer pricing and I recall ironically the Ramsey was more expensive than the Toyota PTO :lol:

276CD517-038D-44A8-B7AB-5CC6C441305A.jpeg

00332890-491E-4FD6-87DE-4F5A80CF38BE.jpeg

@whitey45 and ClemsonCruiser when did the larger window carburetor end. I went thru a bunch of different carburetors on my 68. Came with a Carter one barrel in 74. Back in the nineties I finally ended up with a small window one barrel that the wrecking yard had tagged as from a 66. Next time I'm around it need to check the date. I know it was the first time I had to wire an idle solenoid. I sure where but now have three more small window carburetors. Interesting the 10/67 has a smaller window than the 12/67.

I also thought that starter ended around 65 when lug nuts went from 23MM to 21MM and the cool hand primer fuel pump went away.

Screen in front of radiators is quite common on cruisers if they are used in high grassy areas where grass seed is known to clog the radiators causing overheating and at times fires. I grew up in Africa. Pretty common on cruisers there.

Fabulous score. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
What's the date on that literature? Mine is from 1965 and includes all the OEM parts as well as the aftermarket parts. Thought mine OEM was more expensive than the Ramsey.

It’s a 1964. You are probably right I couldn’t find my other one where I saw the price for the factory PTO so I am likely remembering wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom