Fabricating levers so I don’t have to get muddy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks - hope everyone had a good weekend.

I have a TH 350 with a crawl box that currently requires me to jump out and crawl under the rig to select four-wheel-drive and high and low. Fun, makes for some good pictures and teasing, but not really ideal.

I need to fabricate a two lever system to control those from the cockpit and I’m sure this is not the first time someone has done this so, as before, hoping to leverage peoples experience and wisdom here.

Any tips on sourcing or lessons learned?

Thanks!

I have a TH 350 with a crawl box that currently requires me to jump out and crawl under the rig to select four-wheel-drive and high and low. Fun, makes for some good pictures and teasing, but not really ideal.

I need to fabricate a two lever system to control those from the cockpit and I’m sure this is not the first time someone has done this so, as before, hoping to leverage peoples experience and wisdom here.

Thanks!
Wow, I have never heard of that before. Who ever thought that was a feasible idea? I'm sure MUD will come through with a solid solution for you!

Thanks!
Just out of curiosity, why did you instal a th350

Just out of curiosity, why did you instal a th350
TH350 were a pretty common adaptation back in the day. One of mine has a TH350 in it but it's coming out and heading to the curb because it grenaded. Being replaced with a TH400 which is a bit longer unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m kind of special when it comes to stuff like this. Grin.

Backstory on this is that I was in a time rush to get the FJ ready for a charity event and just ran out of time to do it properly.

The rig came with a GM 350 V8 in it, and the TH 350 was what it was made it to. I’ve since replace the engine but the transmission and crawl box combination worked fine so I’ve left it alone.

Keep in mind that my rig has been messed with, quite a bit actually, over the years but I believe there would’ve originally been a lever with a round knob on it under the dash that was used for selecting four-wheel-drive. Let me see if I can figure out a way to leverage that set up.

that leaves the crawl box as my problem child assuming the factory set up could be extended to reach the 4 Wheel Dr. actuation plunger

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is helpful or not. We made this when we installed a dana 300 upside down. Warning, cover your eyes, its in a j##p. It's just some bent flat stk.
20210322_145324.jpg

20210322_145418.jpg

Thanks for the post and the pictures, jeep or otherwise it is always helpful to see how other people have solve the problems like this.

TH350 were a pretty common adaptation back in the day. One of mine has a TH350 in it but it's coming out and heading to the curb because it grenaded. Being replaced with a TH400 which is a bit longer unfortunately.
Drake2;
I have a 429 Caddy V8 in front of a TH400 that's bolted to my '74 FJ40's T-Case.. I used an Advance Adapter kit to buckle the TH400 to the T-Case. Also (hopefully) here is a bit of useful advice, have a quality auto trans shop "build" your TH400.. By "build", I mean make it bullet proof AND put a Trans Cooler on it. Up high, away from the mud!! Mine mounts on the underside of the hood AND has an air scoop on it!) I did all this to my '74 FJ40 back in '78.. NEVER had any heating or any other issues with the TH400.. I put OVER 350K miles on it!! I hauled a lot of weight in a tag-a-long trailer, including a 20 mile one-way trip with 6000lbs of "jaw rock" AND towed several loaded 18 wheelers UP ice-slick grades without a problem!!
Hope this helps.
Charles.

Drake2;
I have a 429 Caddy V8 in front of a TH400 that's bolted to my '74 FJ40's T-Case.. I used an Advance Adapter kit to buckle the TH400 to the T-Case. Also (hopefully) here is a bit of useful advice, have a quality auto trans shop "build" your TH400.. By "build", I mean make it bullet proof AND put a Trans Cooler on it. Up high, away from the mud!! Mine mounts on the underside of the hood AND has an air scoop on it!) I did all this to my '74 FJ40 back in '78.. NEVER had any heating or any other issues with the TH400.. I put OVER 350K miles on it!! I hauled a lot of weight in a tag-a-long trailer, including a 20 mile one-way trip with 6000lbs of "jaw rock" AND towed several loaded 18 wheelers UP ice-slick grades without a problem!!
Hope this helps.
Charles.
Hi Charles, I would love to see some pics of your setup and the 40 in general of course. If you don't mind please PM some pics my way.
Thanks, Drake

1. Marks Off Road should have a complete Toyota transfer-case 4WD floor shifter in stock, used.
2. Your TH350 adapter (Downey or AA) should have a bolt pattern in the passengers side for mounting a steel plate.
3. Make 1/4" thick steel plate, bolt to adapter, and run forward as far as possible (until it runs into something).
4. Mount pivot bolt from 4WD floor shifter into your 1/4" steel plate where it aligns floor shifter with lower shifting chamber.
5. If bottom of floor shifter lever sticks out past the shifting chamber, talk to me, I have the remedy- - -easy deal.

1. Marks Off Road should have a complete Toyota transfer-case 4WD floor shifter in stock, used.
2. Your TH350 adapter (Downey or AA) should have a bolt pattern in the passengers side for mounting a steel plate.
3. Make 1/4" thick steel plate, bolt to adapter, and run forward as far as possible (until it runs into something).
4. Mount pivot bolt from 4WD floor shifter into your 1/4" steel plate where it aligns floor shifter with lower shifting chamber.
5. If bottom of floor shifter lever sticks out past the shifting chamber, talk to me, I have the remedy- - -easy deal.

Thank you, lots to chew on there. Appreciate the ideas all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom