Pre-startup fluids Checklist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm hopefully starting my 78' 2F this weekend for the first time in over 3 years. Engine wasn't rebuilt but all new seals and gaskets throughout and it seemed to start and run fine prior to restoration.. Plan on checking compression and doing a cold valve adjustment prior to starting her up. Can turn over the crank by hand pretty easily.

Poured a small amount of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder this weekend.
Front and rear diffs have been filled.
T-case and transfer case filled.
Fill with engine oil and prime oil pump. I'm thinking Rotella 15-W30.
Install oil filter.
Fresh gas in new OEM tank and all new fuel lines to and from Sniper.
Power steering fluid
Clutch Fluid
Top off brake fluid
Fill with coolant. Any suggestion on how to do this so I fill it up correctly?

Anything I'm missing.

Thanks for any advice or anything I might be missing.

Drain the coolant it might have right now, then fill to the line with red Japanese coolant

Can you pre-fill the fuel system? I’m assuming with the electric fuel pump for the sniper you could run a few key cycles to get fuel to the unit. Is this necessary? I always try to prefill carbs on a first startup but efi is a different world to me full of wizards and monsters.

Drain the coolant it might have right now, then fill to the line with red Japanese coolant
I installed a new OEM radiator but I’m pretty sure there is some coolant in the block. I pulled the side drain and that is where the new water temp sensor is for the sniper.

Can you pre-fill the fuel system? I’m assuming with the electric fuel pump for the sniper you could run a few key cycles to get fuel to the unit. Is this necessary? I always try to prefill carbs on a first startup but efi is a different world to me full of wizards and monsters.
I think I can cycle the electric fuel pump.

On my ‘76 there are two temp sensors, next to the carb, on the head. I’d remove one when filling with coolant. Even start it up with the sensor removed. This will allow the air to escape and coolant to flow. I’ve had to do this twice this year. It’s worked for me both times.
I like your check list.
I also have an inferred thermometer on hand when starting my 2F. I check the thermostat housing, both to see how hot it gets, and to see if the thermostat is opening and closing as it should.

On my ‘76 there are two temp sensors, next to the carb, on the head. I’d remove one when filling with coolant. Even start it up with the sensor removed. This will allow the air to escape and coolant to flow. I’ve had to do this twice this year. It’s worked for me both times.
I like your check list.
I also have an inferred thermometer on hand when starting my 2F. I check the thermostat housing, both to see how hot it gets, and to see if the thermostat is opening and closing as it should.
Very helpful! Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom