Awnings, let's see them (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW OVS is cheaper than that and they offer a 10% will-call discount on top of that or you can find 10% from some of their vendors with free shipping. Only issue is the wait.

1611966352386.png

1611966417655.png

1611966442010.png

Sorry for spamming this thread all, but I've been putting a lot of time into this and I'm hoping it can help everyone.

I've noticed something interesting when watching a video on the OVS awning. The awning is not very long. This means that the ribs of the awning are not very long. My cheap chinese Fauxwing when mounted on the side of the roof rack was really long. The ribs extended the full length of the mount which means more coverage area.

While the OVS has the extra hinge at the front for additional shade, the coverage at the rear is not that good due to the shorter ribs.

You can see here that my awning goes from the rear hatch to a little past the top edge of the windshield.
1611992444484.png

1611992787114.png

1611992825724.png

1612015965508.png

Taken a few weeks back, before Christmas, the lock down in full force, so setup in the neighbours garden to air out the tent. The awning is fitted to the roof rack allowing tent access from the other side. IIRC it is an 'Easy Awn 2000'? There was a 'frill' along the front which according to an off road buddy made it look like an ice cream sales awning, so that got trimmed off pretty quick!

Surprised at how light the construction is and yet quite strong, easy to pull out and lower the legs, I have been toying with the idea of fitting sides or at least one to keep rain with crosswinds at bay, like all things I have not got around to it yet.

Something not apparent or easily seen in the photo is I had the wind deflector of the roof rack strengthened and widened, this now protects the aluminium housing of the awning from getting beaten up by trees etc.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
One other thing to keep in mind is that some awnings require poles while others are freestanding. The freestanding ones are going to be faster to set up and put away and offer a cleaner, unobstructed canopy.

Agree but they have to be heavier to self support, so that is not so good. I am not sure about strength in high winds as I do not have any experience.

Regards

Dave

Agree but they have to be heavier to self support, so that is not so good. I am not sure about strength in high winds as I do not have any experience.

Regards

Dave
53lbs for the 270LT vs ~30lbs for a 2.5m awning. I don't know about yours, but my 80 will never notice 23lbs. It's already brutally slow. Haha

53lbs for the 270LT vs ~30lbs for a 2.5m awning. I don't know about yours, but my 80 will never notice 23lbs. It's already brutally slow. Haha
I agree, I want the toys but there is always a penalty to pay. I am maxed out on weight with the 80 but diesels tend to pull without too much trouble. LOL.

Regards

Dave

Yeah, its the 4k. This is the sweet spot in my opinion.
Do you think the 2K will be too small for the 80? It says for "small SUVs", but the 80 is about the size of a new 4Runner...not sure what small SUV (other than 2 doors) means anymore.

I've noticed something interesting when watching a video on the OVS awning. The awning is not very long. This means that the ribs of the awning are not very long. My cheap chinese Fauxwing when mounted on the side of the roof rack was really long. The ribs extended the full length of the mount which means more coverage area.

While the OVS has the extra hinge at the front for additional shade, the coverage at the rear is not that good due to the shorter ribs.

You can see here that my awning goes from the rear hatch to a little past the top edge of the windshield.
View attachment 2569514

View attachment 2569520

View attachment 2569521
Link on your cheap Chinese Fauxwing? Cheap is right up my alley!

A little off subject here but why do people load the awnings on the driver side? I realize the thought is to go dispersed camping 90% of the time but 100% of campers and camp grounds in the states are setup to have passenger side entrance/ exit. Whether your intent is to stay a night in a campground or not it puts the back of the rig to the road and everything on the wrong side and exiting your 80 in your undies where everyone and their brother is walking by to the s***ter in the morning or kicks up dust in the eggs and coffee when cooking off the tailgate. Is it because all the cool gear comes from down under and they do it backwards there and we follow suit?
That is an EXCELLENT point.

Literally just changed an order from driver to passenger because of it.

Damn you !!!!

My heart was all set on the $1000 OVS 270, but when i consider the ironman can be detached [ that is a HUGE consideration ] comes with lights AND has that fully enclosed room option. I can get all that and more and still save $$$.

So now I say Thank You !! lol

I picked up the ovs 270LT a few weeks ago and used it Anza Borrego this weekend. Sorry, no pics of it open but its perfect for what i wanted it for. Paid 614 out the door. Tough to beat for a 270.

I have been wanting an awning to attach to my roof rack for awhile. I am wondering what options are out there. So if you have an awning on your rig, post up some pictures with the details on your particular model. Make sure to include pictures showing how it is mounted to your roof/roof rack.

Thanks

Don’t have many pics at the moment but I found the best bang for the buck was simply an ARB. The legs drop down and for me that is important plus it is quick to set up. Also quick and easy to guy it down which is nice in my opinion. Also has side options.

I had the Ezi-Awn Manta as well, didn’t like it.

See if I can find a few pics of using the ARB in Baja. A 3-person tent fits perfect under it. I was just running Thule rack on that truck with the awning mounted to that.

Awning is on the other side, best I got at the moment. This was more than six years ago. 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

EF43400C-3507-4086-BCD2-D1DFEADAEF15.jpeg

Cheers

Here was the Ezi-Awn on my 100.

EC0D04FE-F842-4086-8954-957208F1E399.jpeg
D40420DC-E3AF-47A4-8F03-AF96FEBFC253.jpeg

It was definitely a bit of a pita to setup compared to the ARB. What I disliked most about it was it didn’t like wind, even guyed down.

I will be going with an ARB when I get another, cheap, simple and suits my needs.

Cheers

1AF10A46-28E1-43B8-B455-A8438CC8BEBE.jpeg

Where's the propeller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom