Non-us distributor install issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to install brand new non-us Toyota distributor in 2f engine.
Well, it isn’t going in all the way. It is bottoming out about 1/8” before the mounting bracket hits block.
Through several hours of trying this and that, comparing new to original, measuring, marking, etc I’ve concluded the bottom of the drive gear is bottoming out on the top surface of the hole down in the block. This is the surface just before the hole for the shaft to go down and engage the oil pump. So... not matter what I do this will be as far as it ever will go in. And of course the gear surface is rubbing on that face.
Anyone else run into this?
Possible I have wrong non-us distributor (doubtful as I procured from Marks Off-road) or some weirdness in my motor?
Ugh....

You have to make sure the slot in the oil pump shaft is lined up so when the distributor shaft turns as it engages with the Cam gear, the tapered dissy shaft slides in.

You have to make sure the slot in the oil pump shaft is lined up so when the distributor shaft turns as it engages with the Cam gear, the tapered dissy shaft slides in.
Yep, I have verified that slot and shaft are lined up and engaging. The gear is bottoming out.

Are you using the 61080 or 61180 distributor?

Try a test insertion without the oring installed. See if that's what's hanging up. Final installation will need the oring of course

61180 distributor
i have tried without orIng. Purposely installed not clocked properly to see how far it sits up when shaft doesn’t drop into slot. Then lined up and it drops much further. There is a definite metallic sound when it bottoms out. I put dry erase on bottom of gear, installed, wiggle rotor CW/CCW and then remove. Dry erase was worn off because it was rubbing.

its normal for the 61180 to not seat fully , to the engine block face when indeed the bottom of the dizzy in bottomed out ...........in the oil pump

roughly 3mm

i have ran into this several times

Last edited:
its normal for the 61180 to not seat fully , to the engine block face when indeed the bottom of the dizzy in bottomed out ...........

roughly 3mm

Is this something on the 2F block as well as the 2F/3F block? (Late 2F)

its normal for the 61180 to not seat fully , to the engine block face when indeed the bottom of the dizzy in bottomed out ...........

roughly 3mm
So..... if not bottomed out the clamp doesn’t work and the gear rubs.....did I buy the wrong distributor?

the factory original O-ring is correct on the 61180

SOR sells a SAE oring that WILL prevent full dizzy seating

I appreciate the feedback on the o-rings. Trust me though. I have tried installing without the o-ring. It is bottoming out metal on metal. The bottom of the gear is resting on the internal surface.

Last parts truck I had, I needed to pound the distributor out from the underside with a block of wood. The bore in the block was pretty corroded. Cleaned it out with some emory cloth to get the distributor moving freely. Perhaps you’re being hung up on that.

I don't see how that is possible. Perhaps the gear pin is sticking out and hitting something?

The bottom ends of the two dissys are identical:

dissy.jpg

dissy1.jpg

Does the necked down section with the pin go inside the end of the oil pump?
I covered the bottom of gear in dry erase marker, then installed distributor, twisted rotor back and forth and then removed, the dry erase had been rubbed off, that is why I concluded the bottom of gear was rubbing on top of oil pump. There is definite metallic sound and solid feel when installing. What do you think is bottoming out? The end of shaft looks like it can go into pump quite a ways

Just the tapered end of the shaft fits in the top of the pump shaft, maybe a half-inch or so ... The pix are a little deceiving, but from the machined part of the neck down, the two dissys are identical. I put a caliper on them.

Don't know what else to say unless you can post some pix...

Last edited:
Ground wire is larger size connector & MUST HAVE hooked up with stand alone polarized dedicated ground fyi ........

DSCN2598.JPG
DSCN2697.JPG
DSCN2699.JPG
DSCN2700.JPG

DSCN2599.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom