2H Starter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently in search of a new/reman starter for my 2H . Having found conflicting googleformation, does anyone have the actual part number(s) for these?
Is the 2F compatible with this engine too?
Any help would be great, Thanks

I know the 2F isn’t diesel. Just seeing if the starter was interchangeable

2F starters are not interchangeable.

I used a no-name starter on my HJ47 about 8 years ago.. its still there. It was like $US180 (new) at the time. I dont know where you'd source the same in the US. If it helps with parts matching in the US then any starter that claims suitability for HJ60, HJ61 or HJ75 will fit your HJ47.

I used a no-name starter on my HJ47 about 8 years ago.. its still there. It was like $US180 (new) at the time. I dont know where you'd source the same in the US. If it helps with parts matching in the US then any starter that claims suitability for HJ60, HJ61 or HJ75 will fit your HJ47.
Thanks, I’ll see what I can find. The issue I’m running into is the 2h isn’t USDm except in the forklift. I’m actually leaning towards trying a forklift one

when you take the starter apart you can see that the solenoid and motor are on one half and the gear set on the other
two long bolts through motor, three #3 phillips screws through bellhousing side.

simple split on system. When you get the dodge starter you will see.

There are other 1HZ starters out there etc but all cost more because they fit a toyota.

Thanks, I’ll see what I can find. The issue I’m running into is the 2h isn’t USDm except in the forklift. I’m actually leaning towards trying a forklift one

Interesting.. it'll all be about the bell housing used on the Forklift.. I'm doubtful it'd be the same and that it may in fact be a simple two part bell-housing like those fitted to the HJ45.

Has your starter definitely failed? You're not getting the famous HJ47 "Click, no crank" issue are you? This is often just the contacts on the starter relay mounted in the passenger footwell, they need the occasional tidy up.

Interesting.. it'll all be about the bell housing used on the Forklift.. I'm doubtful it'd be the same and that it may in fact be a simple two part bell-housing like those fitted to the HJ45.

Has your definitely failed? You're not getting the famous HJ47 "Click, no crank" issue are you? This is often just the contacts on the starter relay mounted in the passenger footwell, they need the occasional tidy up.

Has your definitely failed? You're not getting the famous HJ47 "Click, no crank" issue are you? This is often just the contacts on the starter relay mounted in the passenger footwell, they need the occasional tidy up.
So I’m not certain in the forklift portion. Still researching a seemingly unknown oddity.
As for the issue, yes that is partially what I’m getting and yup it’s a Hj47.
I’ve disassembled the relay, it all “appears” in order. I can manually manipulate it in naked form to get no response from the starter. I can key op it and get the actuation from the relay but not the starter. However after several attempts I can get a reaction from the starter. Generally once I get this action the starter will operate seemingly ok until I let it sit for a period then nothing again. Also to note the last 2 times the starter has hung in “start” operation I had to stall the diesel to get it to stop.

when you take the starter apart you can see that the solenoid and motor are on one half and the gear set on the other
two long bolts through motor, three #3 phillips screws through bellhousing side.

simple split on system. When you get the dodge starter you will see.

There are other 1HZ starters out there etc but all cost more because they fit a toyota.
This seems logical and reasonably cheap option off to the ‘zon I’ll go

So I’m not certain in the forklift portion. Still researching a seemingly unknown oddity.
As for the issue, yes that is partially what I’m getting and yup it’s a Hj47.
I’ve disassembled the relay, it all “appears” in order. I can manually manipulate it in naked form to get no response from the starter. I can key op it and get the actuation from the relay but not the starter. However after several attempts I can get a reaction from the starter. Generally once I get this action the starter will operate seemingly ok until I let it sit for a period then nothing again. Also to note the last 2 times the starter has hung in “start” operation I had to stall the diesel to get it to stop.

I would definitely be replacing the starter relay at this point and then re-assessing. It doesnt need to be a HJ47 Toyota Starter Relay.. any higher amperage relay will be fine (40A for example). You'll have to snip off the Toyota plug and reterminate it with crimps/plug suitable for your generic relay. Its quite straightforward. There's an above-small chance your starter is fine. By all means continue the search for a new starter in the meantime, its definitely worth renewing it at this stage in its life.

If you can get the parts, it's a very easy rebuild. Swap out the bushing armatures and will be good as new. I had the same problem with my starter and that fixed is. I'm selling that starter now, but sounds like you want to pay less than the $150 I'm asking. I put an amazon knock off in my new engine for 1/3 the price of a Toyota, but who knows how long it will last.

If you can get the parts, it's a very easy rebuild. Swap out the bushing armatures and will be good as new. I had the same problem with my starter and that fixed is. I'm selling that starter now, but sounds like you want to pay less than the $150 I'm asking. I put an amazon knock off in my new engine for 1/3 the price of a Toyota, but who knows how long it will last.
I’d put an Amazon in if I could find one. That was specifically for that purpose. Where ya located?

I know the 2F isn’t diesel. Just seeing if the starter was interchangeable
Diesel starters have more oomph to cope with 3 x the compression

Amazon product ASIN B00R1EIMA8
swap over all the goodies. Ditch the dodge nosecone and old toyota motor/solenoid.

I have had starters reman'd in Tucson for $75 but this is simpler and really DIY.
Would this work for 24v starter on my 2H if swapping over internals like you said. Or only for 12v situations? Or doesn’t matter? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, trying to line up a new starter for my Hj60 and this would be awesome if your suggestion worked for me.

There are so many of those no name starters and alternators in Australia, but very few complaints. It difficult to say if they will last as long as an OEM component, but the price is worth the risk. And many are offering 3 year warranty's .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom