Stock rims offered on 1979 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning folks,

I recently acquired a 1979 FJ40 that was buried in leaves and snow. Now that I got it home and cleaned up, it appears to be mostly original. One thing I am not sure about however are the rims. Did FJ40s in 1979 only come with the split steel rims, or were the white rims in the picture attached an option as well? Im confused because I have seen similar rims on other FJ40s, but they also look a lot like budget rims sold at local auto retailers. If these aren't original, I do have a set of rims from an 87' Toyota pickup. They don't seem as deeply dished as the FJ's current rims, but I thought they would be a good option? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

40 series trucks either came with white steelies, 16 inch split rims (non USA) or 15 inch welded rims (USA market)
Edit: white rims were only used 1980-the end of the 40 series run, so it wasn’t a 1979 option but I wouldn’t replace them. It’s close enough.)

Good morning folks,

I recently acquired a 1979 FJ40 that was buried in leaves and snow. Now that I got it home and cleaned up, it appears to be mostly original. One thing I am not sure about however are the rims. Did FJ40s in 1979 only come with the split steel rims, or were the white rims in the picture attached an option as well? Im confused because I have seen similar rims on other FJ40s, but they also look a lot like budget rims sold at local auto retailers. If these aren't original, I do have a set of rims from an 87' Toyota pickup. They don't seem as deeply dished as the FJ's current rims, but I thought they would be a good option? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 2617573

View attachment 2617574

This is a listing from classic cruisers, I guess you can compare the images and such. The inside is silver, which is a little suspicious. Doubt the OEM ones had silver inside. Those don’t look original.

79 with 15 inch steel rims.View attachment 2617667
Yes these are correct for a 79’ and available from several sources.

The chrome wheels you pictured are from an gen 2 IFS Mini truck/4Runner and likely will not work on a solid axle 40.

The 79’s have a breaks in production months making a few parts slightly more difficult to source as they were changing several things, good idea to have the production month stamped in the drivers door handy when buying parts.

40 series trucks either came with white steelies, 16 inch split rims (non USA) or 15 inch welded rims (USA market)
Edit: white rims were only used 1980-the end of the 40 series run, so it wasn’t a 1979 option but I wouldn’t replace them. It’s close enough.)

the 2 pics from the OP are not stock rims
the white spoke rims were on all 1981+ 40's, they are the same as the chrome 60/62 rims but are white. mini trucks also had the same spoke rims but were a goldish color
1979 would have had the grey rims with hubcaps

Different markets varied - Australian 40/45/47 series petrol or diesel of this era all had the gray split steel rims without hubcaps except for the LX model 40. My 1978 had a wheel swap after a few years for the LX chrome wheels. The white rims were a popular replacement for a wider wheel on Land Cruisers and other vehicles like Ford F100s.
From an advertisement of the towards the end of the series.

1616052126450.png

Good morning folks,

View attachment 2617573
Neither wheel in your photos is OEM.

My US-spec 1/80 FJ40 had gray steel wheels with hubcaps as delivered. White spoke FJ60-format rims came later in the FJ40 cycle.

This is a listing from classic cruisers, I guess you can compare the images and such. The inside is silver, which is a little suspicious. Doubt the OEM ones had silver inside. Those don’t look original.
The rims we offer are not silver inside? Not sure what you are seeing. These are used FJ60 silver wheels blasted and powder coated white inside and out. No need to be suspicious- just give us a call if you have questions.

The white wheels on the 40 (and 60) probably started about 8/80. But they are/where 6 spoke not 8 spoke.
I have both. My original 6 spoke white ‘15s for my ‘82 and those after market 8 spoke white in 16 to run 235/85/16 for better ground clearance.
but your 79 probably would have come w the steelies and hubcaps.

The rims we offer are not silver inside? Not sure what you are seeing. These are used FJ60 silver wheels blasted and powder coated white inside and out. No need to be suspicious- just give us a call if you have questions.
Yea I must have worded that wrong or something. I was comparing the OEM rims you offer to the rims that are pictured bu the OP. The OP has silver interior, while yours do not. Also the shape is slightly different, so I concluded they were not the same. Sorry for the mix up

The red and blue stripe on the white spoke rims used to be a dead give away that they're aftermarket. American Racing was one of the big sellers back in the day.

I’m just seeing this right now. I own Classic Cruisers and the powder coated wheels are from the 60 series and are not chrome on the inside - not sure what you are seeing. They were originally chrome but are fully powder coated inside and out. And of course will work on all 40, 50 and 60 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom