For Sale Boulder CO 1997 40th Unmolested (no lockers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(187, 172, 172)
Outside Link
https://www.boulderh.com/inventory/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-/319373
"Affordable" decent condition 97 40th Edition under $10k for someone starting out wanting to customize their cruiser their way.

284k Miles $9,988

Recent work over the last few months, REBUILT FRONT KNUCKLES WITH NEW KNUCKLE AND WHEEL BEARINGS, NEW BIRFIELD JOINTS, NEW TIE ROD ENDS, NEW FRONT BRAKE DISCS AND PADS, NEW STEERING DAMPNER, NEW WINDSHIELD. Note Vehicle has Automatic 4WD; NO DIFF LOCKERS.

Link to seller; 533rd 40th Cruiser

I just bought one in very similar condition and miles. Mine has a pretty clean belly vs this one. Price point is not bad if that frame is solid. You know the suspension, interior, and engine could all need work so sub $10k with another $10k of improvements and you have a nice driver, you save another FJ80, and you know exactly what you have if you keep it or even decide to sell. Again, if the frame and body are clean you have a perfect LS swap candidate. That front end work is a big plus if done right. Could save you at least $2k.

Need more photos or a good inspection to be sure but looks really staight and clean.

Last edited:
I ended up picking up this ride :)

There were several issues at delivery but the dealer ended up making it right. Good people. She's getting a nice overhaul on "urgent issues" - many leaks, suspension, radiator, hoses, steering pump, and the bearings were not done properly to my surprise. The frame is good (Thank God). Going to put money into all areas (Full sand and Paint, Full new Interior, Suspension, Engine overhaul). I've just put $7k into all the mechanicals and will be picking it back up today/tomorrow... She's been in the shop since I got her a couple weeks ago.

New leather should be delivered tomorrow from LCH and full "Essex" carpet came in from ACC last week. Nice little refresh. While at upholstery shop, I'm getting a new headliner and full Dynamat done. This will be a weekend cruiser not a full off-road project. More like "factory-plus".

PO did a lot of work on 8/2019 with 275k on the clock (baseline). The only thing that wasn't done was HG which was replaced at Toyota in 2005 with 170k on the clock. With the miles, I'm thinking either do a proper rebuild. I like the idea of an LS but I really want this to stay original. Nice bonus it had all the keys, owners manuals, plenty of receipts, factory alarm still works, original 40th floor mats in decent condition, and it passed CA emissions on first go! I can't wait for her to be done. I had a 91 years ago and so glad to have another 80.

I ended up picking up this ride :)

There were several issues at delivery but the dealer ended up making it right. Good people. She's getting a nice overhaul on "urgent issues" - many leaks, suspension, radiator, hoses, steering pump, and the bearings were not done properly to my surprise. The frame is good (Thank God). Going to put money into all areas (Full sand and Paint, Full new Interior, Suspension, Engine overhaul). I've just put $7k into all the mechanicals and will be picking it back up today/tomorrow... She's been in the shop since I got her a couple weeks ago.

New leather should be delivered tomorrow from LCH and full "Essex" carpet came in from ACC last week. Nice little refresh. While at upholstery shop, I'm getting a new headliner and full Dynamat done. This will be a weekend cruiser not a full off-road project. More like "factory-plus".

PO did a lot of work on 8/2019 with 275k on the clock (baseline). The only thing that wasn't done was HG which was replaced at Toyota in 2005 with 170k on the clock. With the miles, I'm thinking either do a proper rebuild. I like the idea of an LS but I really want this to stay original. Nice bonus it had all the keys, owners manuals, plenty of receipts, factory alarm still works, original 40th floor mats in decent condition, and it passed CA emissions on first go! I can't wait for her to be done. I had a 91 years ago and so glad to have another 80.
Post some photos of those seat covers when you can. I am curious of their quality and match to OEM.

I just got mine back from an OME lift install. Going to install the wheels and tires this weekend. Refinished OEM's and 315/75/16's

43FE6D52-D027-4972-BED8-89510C860278.jpeg

I just got mine back from an OME lift install. Going to install the wheels and tires this weekend. Refinished OEM's and 315/75/16's

View attachment 2616853
Oh that looks awesome! I just replaced 3/4 shocks and other bits. But I think a small lift is in my future. Did you refinish the wheels? They look amazing. Mine are pitted pretty bad and once I get it back from paint I’ll get the wheels addressed. The body work will be 4-6 weeks. I think I’ll get a slightly larger Michelin tire when I refinish the wheels in late May.

I bought refinished wheels from a supplier in LA. Cheaper to buy them and have them shipped than my local wheel refinisher.

How are you addressing the 40th Anniversary logo? Could you save the "40" numbers? I always throught I would just have a good graphics guy recreate the entire thing and print them in vinyl as a reproduction. Thankfully, mine are good and I have a good paint job.

RKT

I bought refinished wheels from a supplier in LA. Cheaper to buy them and have them shipped than my local wheel refinisher.

How are you addressing the 40th Anniversary logo? Could you save the "40" numbers? I always throught I would just have a good graphics guy recreate the entire thing and print them in vinyl as a reproduction. Thankfully, mine are good and I have a good paint job.

RKT
Do you mind sharing the supplier for the wheels?
Yes, I’m able to save the “40” numbers. The body shop said they can replace with quality adhesive once the work is done. I ordered new stickers for the “Anniversary Edition” from cruiserparts.net. They are scheduled to deliver today along with the foams and leather from LCH. I’ll let you know how it all looks.
The pic below is from the body shop yesterday. It’s about a $6500 job to strip the paint, seal it, apply 3 coats of antique sage and then another 3 coats of clear before they color sand prior to delivery. They gave me a decent deal. Other shops wanted ~$8k to do the same work. I picked up new bumpers, bumper extensions, flare seals and clips, and belt window mouldings from Toyota dealer as well.

D2A887F1-3E6A-44AD-8BBE-8ECA57F42BE7.jpeg

Wow, You are going to have a fantastic rig there. Fortunately my paint is good. My body shop is doing the front bumper and one small rust spot in the rear left rocker next week.

Wheel supplier is in LA. They had 6 total wheels in stock. I bought 4. LA seems to be the place to find them as they are more common and they are in better shape due to weather. You may get luck finding a local place and save the shipping. Your wheels could be redone by one of those traveling trucks that go to dealerships. I bet your body shop could hook you up.

I paid $170+$30 shipping per wheel. My local (100miles away) shop quoted $250 and seemed like I was bothering him.

Ralph Milhoan
1-800EveryRim - OEM Wheels
12078 Florence Ave
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Wow, You are going to have a fantastic rig there. Fortunately my paint is good. My body shop is doing the front bumper and one small rust spot in the rear left rocker next week.

Wheel supplier is in LA. They had 6 total wheels in stock. I bought 4. LA seems to be the place to find them as they are more common and they are in better shape due to weather. You may get luck finding a local place and save the shipping. Your wheels could be redone by one of those traveling trucks that go to dealerships. I bet your body shop could hook you up.

I paid $170+$30 shipping per wheel. My local (100miles away) shop quoted $250 and seemed like I was bothering him.

Ralph Milhoan
1-800EveryRim - OEM Wheels
12078 Florence Ave
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Awesome! I’ll take a look locally to see if I can find a nice oem set. The body shop says they have a guy that can do them but I’m waiting on a quote...

The leather came in as well as the stickers etc. Color and design are great... they also seem very durable. Not as “soft” as I expected for both the foam/leather. I went with the 100% leather option. It all looks very nice. The only thing I don’t like is the logo tag on seat bottoms lol.

BAE1A31A-417F-4A80-A922-AC5C399A3FB8.jpeg

EB4293DA-0037-4EF6-9CF7-F1663DC6BDE8.jpeg

B1CDDC5E-A905-469A-BAD1-F40E816121F7.jpeg

E877E59D-D393-4AD4-8515-1FCE4D3EE59F.jpeg

D0B545ED-3E9D-415B-8825-64C61EEA7DC0.jpeg

Those seats look really nice. Too bad about those tags. A good upholstery shop may be able to mitigate those tags. Surely there is a better place to put them. It will probably keep me from ordering a set from them. Folks who are OCD enough to restore LCs to original specs strike me as the type who would prefer not having the tag in such an obvious spot.

The decals look perfect. I may order a set just to have for a front plate or tool box. Keep us up to date. Weather is bad and I am waiting for the Sun this weekend.

Did your decal set come from LCH? They are not listed on their site.

E06FDBDB-3223-40FA-ABD3-10791CDD89B2.jpeg

Last edited:
One interesting side note on the wheels. Ralph said that the grey color will be slightly darker than expected. He is correct. He said that the gray fades over time and the fresh paint is a bit dark to the eye. Looking at the photos and comparing my old wheels to the new set, I agree. If you are really wanting the lighter color, spend a bit of time with the restoration service to ensure the right color. My guess is that the restoration shops only have a few colors pre-mixed and loaded in their guns each day to improve productivity and cut costs, however, if you look at the original press photos and ads of the 40th anniversary and collectors editions the wheels do look very dark.

Just a thought, you seem very detail oriented and that is one thing I have learned in my wheel rabbit hole:)

Those seats look really nice. Too bad about those tags. A good upholstery shop may be able to mitigate those tags. Surely there is a better place to put them. It will probably keep me from ordering a set from them. Folks who are OCD enough to restore LCs to original specs strike me as the type who would prefer not having the tag in such an obvious spot.

The decals look perfect. I may order a set just to have for a front plate or tool box. Keep us up to date. Weather is bad and I am waiting for the Sun this weekend.

Did your decal set come from LCH? They are not listed on their site.

View attachment 2617854
That’s a beauty! It’s got a great stance to it- I’m assuming that’s with the OME lift?

I got the stickers from here: https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index...=23313&zenid=d33d1418804fabf40b3304f17efc3e4c

I also ordered a new steering wheel from them. They said 4-6 weeks for it to be made. I’ll be sure to update on quality and finish. OCD for sure! I’ll also ask my upholstery shop to see about removing the labels.

One interesting side note on the wheels. Ralph said that the grey color will be slightly darker than expected. He is correct. He said that the gray fades over time and the fresh paint is a bit dark to the eye. Looking at the photos and comparing my old wheels to the new set, I agree. If you are really wanting the lighter color, spend a bit of time with the restoration service to ensure the right color. My guess is that the restoration shops only have a few colors pre-mixed and loaded in their guns each day to improve productivity and cut costs, however, if you look at the original press photos and ads of the 40th anniversary and collectors editions the wheels do look very dark.

Just a thought, you seem very detail oriented and that is one thing I have learned in my wheel rabbit hole:)
That is spot on! I was wondering if my eyes were deceiving me or if the wheels had a darker paint. Thanks for the insight- I’ll make sure to chat with the refurb guy. I think I actually like it a tad lighter but keeping it original is also very important to me.

As a side note for those seeking steering wheel or shifter recovering - I sent my '94 steering wheel and shifter to Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and they turned out amazing. Turnaround was 5 days. He added a little extra padding to the steering wheel to give it a bit more heft. Results were precisely what I expected and I am meticulous, especially for the key touch points. Cost was reasonable.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case others are looking.

As a side note for those seeking steering wheel or shifter recovering - I sent my '94 steering wheel and shifter to Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and they turned out amazing. Turnaround was 5 days. He added a little extra padding to the steering wheel to give it a bit more heft. Results were precisely what I expected and I am meticulous, especially for the key touch points. Cost was reasonable.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case others are looking.
Thanks @tseck73 - The thicker rim sounds like a great touch. I'll update everyone when mine gets delivered sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. That 5 day turn around is incredible!

Successful weekend projects. Now going to take advantage of the good weather and clean it's belly and do the paint correction. I purchased the Drcolorchip package and am surprised to see how well it works. Excellent product!!!

BBE1DE5F-0D59-47CC-8B64-2A34452681CF.jpeg
F9C7E33F-58D9-4BAC-80CE-65949824F94C.jpeg

Successful weekend projects. Now going to take advantage of the good weather and clean it's belly and do the paint correction. I purchased the Drcolorchip package and am surprised to see how well it works. Excellent product!!!

View attachment 2622488View attachment 2622489

Such a great looking rig! I haven't used Dr. ColorChip but good to hear first hand feedback. I can't wait to see mine once she leaves the body shop (Hopefully by 3rd/4th week of April).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom