fzj80 motor tick (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my experience, a failing power steering pump pulley can also tick.

PS pump doesn't need a "nick" on the gear. If it was replaced or rebuilt then there is a chance it was installed without exact clearances which causes "gear chatter" hence the ticking. That's what happened to me. Mine sounded a little quicker than that on the ticking.

PS pump doesn't need a "nick" on the gear. If it was replaced or rebuilt then there is a chance it was installed without exact clearances which causes "gear chatter" hence the ticking. That's what happened to me. Mine sounded a little quicker than that on the ticking.

was yours dependant on temperature? did it change based on engine load? I am chasing "can full of pennies" noise with little luck so far

was yours dependant on temperature? did it change based on engine load? I am chasing "can full of pennies" noise with little luck so far
Mine was not dependent on temps at all. It was the same ticking sound

Greetings all. I have FZJ80 1997 with215k kilometres on ODO. I have this sound since I bought a car back in winter 2017. My mechanic opened and measured valves and it was in 0.2-0.3 range so it was all good it seems. We changed the right camshaft and put it all together. The sound is still here. I don't know what to do. We will open it again next month, I'll change all the valves plates and the left camshaft as well because I have a donor engine 1fzf.
I'll post some more videos of that sound during a drive time.
All the best.

Greetings All,
I still haven't found what I'm looking for 🙂

Remove tappet cover and check camshaft, rockers and all bolts are tight. look for any signs of wear on the camshaft lobes.

(we did it, everything is tight and there are no signs of wearing)

Then look at the timing chain see if it has excessive play. There is a guide and a tensioner which has a spring to keep tension when engine is off and while the engine is running, oil feed thru the tensioner keeps it under tension.

(Chain was a bit loose so we fixed it)

Check the guide is not loose and the tensioner has the slipper pad that runs against the chain. Check this is in place.

(all good now)

Then check the main crankshaft pulley is tight.

(it is)

If this all checks out. Drain oil and remove sump here you will be able to check any play on the connector rods from the Crankshaft to the piston.

(it seems alright)

Look for play on the Connecting rods.

(no play all tight)

When you drain the oil, use a clean bucket and look for any debris in the oil. It will tell you a story. Can filter old oil thru a white cloth.

(we did it, no debris at all, all clean and I changed the oil in a process)

But when I started the engine again an old sound was still there...
As an old song said: "...but I still haven't found what I am looking for."

Than we removed tapped cover again, removed camshafts, and all 24 valves out and I"ll just change that all to see what will happen...

I'll provide some photos and videos...

I had an a small car accident (first in my 25y of driving, I am getting old I guess:) so it will stay in a garage and that was probably a blessing in disguise so we will, hopefully find what is wrong and what is the source of that sound. I am not an optimist though 😁.

Al the best

Kenan,
Sarajevo, BiH, Europe

Screenshot_20200508-052732_Photos.jpg

20200506_191007.jpg

20200506_171503.jpg

20200506_171458.jpg

20200506_170244.jpg

have you tried running your motor with the power steering pump out?

The numbered shims is how Toyota balances each motor. I had to order several when I rebuilt my motor to adjust for different clearances.

Im dealing with this now, i pulled my whole front at once since i replaced my radiator. New water pump, thermostat, re built the powersteering pump, crankshaft seal, distributor o ring, oil level sensor gasket, new belts, ordered the blue hd clutch for fan never came from wits end off road!!! Decided not to wait easy change, denso radiator (for now), all new hoses, cleaned powersteering reservoir filter, new hoses for it too, oil pan gasket, phh hose, all new heater valve hoses, e.t.c... wouldn't start, so i top dead centered it on mark on "0" re stabbed distributor on number 1, she started, now i have a concerning ticking as well. With a hose to my ear i searched the 2 concerning points. Crankshaft area and powersteering gear.... that crankbolt very hard to get a 100% 305lbs...i have a 300 3/4 with a friend holding 14mm on flex plate. Got 300 with a little extra no cheater bar...but who knows with the +-4 lbs ... but it felt ok. Powersteering gear mehhhh not so sure... everything felt ok used a 5/8 box wrench to gap the gear. Im hearing the ticking not from powersteering area but right under the crank shaft....its a ticking noise... gets quiet when i turn wheels left or right all the way and hold. Let off starts again. Gets faster with rpm.. which both would i presume since they run together. It runs good so im not thinking its a tooth off on the distributor....my concern was steering but it sounds dead under crank with hose to ear. Any thoughts??

Pull the pump off and run the motor, that will tell you if it's the pump or not.

Chased my tick after my HG job for over a year. Used a stethoscope and started probing and as other early 2006 posts have suggested, it was the fuel injectors that I had serviced as part of the HG job. For those still chasing down the issue, head to Harbor Freight and spend $5 on a stethoscope; you would be amazed at what you hear.

Greetings all. I have FZJ80 1997 with215k kilometres on ODO. I have this sound since I bought a car back in winter 2017. My mechanic opened and measured valves and it was in 0.2-0.3 range so it was all good it seems. We changed the right camshaft and put it all together. The sound is still here. I don't know what to do. We will open it again next month, I'll change all the valves plates and the left camshaft as well because I have a donor engine 1fzf.
I'll post some more videos of that sound during a drive time.
All the best.

Mine sounds exactly like the first video of it idling, though its not really noticeable at idle over all the exhaust leaks(muffler has been used as a skid plate WAY more than it should). Its been that way for years now, its never gotten louder so ive just left it alone.

Hey @Mcfobos, you ever solve it? My 94 makes the exact same noise. I've taken the @spikederailed approach so far 😅 But it would be great to know where to start looking if you found anything! Thanks!
Hi Prismo, well I'm still on it. Haven't got much time to finish it. What I did is that I did the shims on the right side, I think it is the exhaust side 🤔 so it is much better but still the tick is there. As soon as I done the left side I'll post it here whatever the outcome is. So as far as I'm concerned- it's the valves/shims
Hey @Mcfobos, you ever solve it? My 94 makes the exact same noise. I've taken the @spikederailed approach so far 😅 But it would be great to know where to start looking if you found anything! Thanks!
Hi Prismo, well I'm still on it. Haven't got much time to finish it. What I did is that I did the shims on the right side, I think it is the exhaust side 🤔 so it is much better but still the tick is there. As soon as I done the left side I'll post it here whatever the outcome is. So as far as I'm concerned- it's the valves/shims.

Good luck

Hi Prismo, well I'm still on it. Haven't got much time to finish it. What I did is that I did the shims on the right side, I think it is the exhaust side 🤔 so it is much better but still the tick is there. As soon as I done the left side I'll post it here whatever the outcome is. So as far as I'm concerned- it's the valves/shims

Hi Prismo, well I'm still on it. Haven't got much time to finish it. What I did is that I did the shims on the right side, I think it is the exhaust side 🤔 so it is much better but still the tick is there. As soon as I done the left side I'll post it here whatever the outcome is. So as far as I'm concerned- it's the valves/shims.

Good luck

Hey, Mcfobos! Did you ever get the issue? I literally have the same issue -- I played the video and my girlfriend asked me from the other room if I recorded a video if my truck. Hahaha. I just got a 94 and just slowly doing some maintenance items, but this is pretty high on the list.

Anyone have this issue fixed? Replaced the PS pump and made sure the gear was correctly installed -- sound is still there. Does anyone think this is a sign to get the engine rebuilt?

Anyone have this issue fixed? Replaced the PS pump and made sure the gear was correctly installed -- sound is still there. Does anyone think this is a sign to get the engine rebuilt?
Check the timing, that fixed my issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom