New to Me 2007 TLC 234k Miles...$17k. What Did I Do??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a barley broken in 100 series for what seemed like a bit of a high price but to me seems well worth it and I couldn't be happier; only having ever driven Toyota Corollas you can definitely see the difference in their flagship. A few factors went into this, after looking at the market for months nationwide I realized the price of these beasts is high for a reason. This particular vehicle had 1 owner, no rust, drove great, and most of all had solid maintenance records. The miles per year are pretty high but seems like the person did mostly highway driving and did all maintenance at the same Toyota dealership every 4 months. This particular vehicle was in pretty damn good shape and had new tires put on so I snatched it up. At $17k I'm comfortable with putting another $7k into it.

I'm going to do most of the maintenance on it myself, kind of Toying around with taking the 3 hour drive to visit Duggy's garage in Houston at some point but for vehicle history continuity sake I want to take it to the Toyota service center for the water pump and timing belt. What more should I ask them as a while you're in there measure?

What does a $17k LC need that costs $7k?

What does a $17k LC need that costs $7k?
Kind of the point of the post, what are the general if you could what would or should you do for a re-baseline as a new owner? After general pm wanted to explore lift options but kind of confused about that with the AHC. Would replace CV, diff, install diff drop, control arms. Want front and rear bumpers at some point. Interior drawers most likely. Do a power converter setup. Probably put in the sus PX6 screen...

Separate your needs and wants - start by baselining and then get into mods at a later date. Not sure what all your trucks needs but the general list includes TB/WP, seals, plugs, coils, heater tee's, radiator, alternator, fan, t-stat, fluid flushes (brakes, transmission, transfer case, diffs, engine oil, coolant, power steering), bearings, steering rack, etc...

As for AHC, you should keep it as long as you can before switching to a traditional suspension. Search around the forum, there's tons of great info - The ABCs of AHC, Why You Should Keep Your AHC, etc..

As per baselining “Needs”, check on your scheduled maintenance first. If you can’t find evidence for it being done, then assume it hasn’t. Get your rig up to speed on Toyota’s listed maintenance items, then move into the enthusiast specific items like AHC fluid’s etc that Toyota list wouldn’t include.
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Separate your needs and wants - start by baselining and then get into mods at a later date. Not sure what all your trucks needs but the general list includes TB/WP, seals, plugs, coils, heater tee's, radiator, alternator, fan, t-stat, fluid flushes (brakes, transmission, transfer case, diffs, engine oil, coolant, power steering), bearings, steering rack, etc...

As for AHC, you should keep it as long as you can before switching to a traditional suspension. Search around the forum, there's tons of great info - The ABCs of AHC, Why You Should Keep Your AHC, etc..
Thanks for the links. I feel like the Toyota schedule is a bit lacking and going through this forum is basically my jumping off point.

This link isn't too bad actually 100 Series Land Cruiser: Maintenance - Away on Adventure - https://www.awayonadventure.com/100-series-land-cruiser-build-series/maintenance/

Congratulations! I think paying a little more for a well maintained truck without rust issues is a good choice.

Baseline it and drive it and then fix anything that breaks, which won't be much. 307K miles on our 2000; still going strong. 234K on our 2004; drives like a new car. If it needs a timing belt, do that, but I would not start throwing parts at it, as those parts probably have at least another 150k of life before they have an issue. These things are built for like a 20 year service life in a harsh environment. Should easily get you to 400k in the states with proper maintenance.

If you plan on keeping the rig for a while (many miles, many years), I would venture that documented maintenance records will suffice without the need for it to be done at Mr. T and entered into the big database. If you plan to drive the rig into the ground (or at least try), it may be worth your time/money investment to start doing the maintenance yourself, and keeping the receipts and create photo evidence that the maintenance was performed. The collection of tools you'll acquire will almost all be non-Hundy specific (except a few, all of which won't break the bank anyways).

Congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: MJK
If you plan on keeping the rig for a while (many miles, many years), I would venture that documented maintenance records will suffice without the need for it to be done at Mr. T and entered into the big database. If you plan to drive the rig into the ground (or at least try), it may be worth your time/money investment to start doing the maintenance yourself, and keeping the receipts and create photo evidence that the maintenance was performed. The collection of tools you'll acquire will almost all be non-Hundy specific (except a few, all of which won't break the bank anyways).

Congrats and enjoy!
All good advice, appreciate the feedback. I’m pumped

Also pay attention to all the records you got from the po, cross reference that to the baseline checklist. For example if your transmission fluid got drained 20k miles ago and you have records of multiple intervals of that service no since spending the money in the redundancy. Same could be said with belts and all kinds of stuff. I grabbed a 19pc wp/belt/thermostat/etc kit when I bought mine because I had no confidence of what they did to ready the vehicle foe
Resell. I think they kicked the tires and spit on it and said it was ready lol

Also pay attention to all the records you got from the po, cross reference that to the baseline checklist. For example if your transmission fluid got drained 20k miles ago and you have records of multiple intervals of that service no since spending the money in the redundancy. Same could be said with belts and all kinds of stuff. I grabbed a 19pc wp/belt/thermostat/etc kit when I bought mine because I had no confidence of what they did to ready the vehicle foe
Resell. I think they kicked the tires and spit on it and said it was ready lol
After registering on the Toyota website I was happy to find a lot more detail than the original carfax had reported. Here are a few things within the last 40k miles. In the last picture it seems like the transmission had some major work, is there anything I should be on the lookout?

1616005914403.png

1616005929550.png

1616005945056.png

2 front axles and 1 hub flange, along with new wheel bearings for one side. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare hub flange, and MAYBE swap out the other side preventatively to better fix the new(er) axle groove pattern.

Excellent news is that you've got a couple of newer front axles, should be good for a while (just pay attention to keep grease in the boots and replace torn boots).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom