AHC Suspension Conversion (IronMan Foam Cell vs. OldManEmu) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice IMFC. How’s the ride? Comparable to OEM AHC?
I had AHC for only 2 weeks and maybe 50 miles so I really can't compare. Foam Cell rides great though!

You're gonna hate life when it comes to removing the rear parts. Let me know if you need moral support. I don't mind watching with a cold beer in my hand. LOL.

Ha, I don't imagine it'll be too bad after watching that video above. I've wrenched on all my cars for the past 20 years to include full motor swaps, AT->MT conversions, wire tucks, and more. And beers for this type of work are necessary, so feel free to come on up to Round Rock if you want a cold one once the parts come in :beer:

Just like IM, Tough Dog has great reviews on this forum and on other websites. They are an Australian company too but unlike IM, they are made in Australia and are adjustable depending on the terrain.
Be weary, i had tough dogs on my 80 about 3 years ago and the shocks started rusting after 12 months (superficial rust mostly but after 12 months......) they were also very stiff like the OME. They may have changed and improved since then but i will never trust them again after paying top dollar, plenty of great suspension options out there

The lift is measured from the center of the Axle to the bottom of the fender well.

View attachment 2613595

I'm running a Dobinsons IMS suspension with a 2" lift in the front and 3" in the rear to replace AHC. I've read that rake combination gives a good ride. The Dobinsons IMS use an internal floating piston. I learned about Dobonsons IMS from the 4Runner community. I am happy with the ride. It feels like the AHC setting that is between Normal and Sport setting. Note that I'm running metal bumpers, and rock slide. so I am heavier than a stock LX.

View attachment 2613596
I’m considering Dobinson for my 2008 LC. What weight springs did you put on this?

Be weary, i had tough dogs on my 80 about 3 years ago and the shocks started rusting after 12 months (superficial rust mostly but after 12 months......) they were also very stiff like the OME. They may have changed and improved since then but i will never trust them again after paying top dollar, plenty of great suspension options out there
Thanks! Placed an order for IM foam cell pro 2” stage 2. Can’t wait to have them installed.

I’m considering Dobinson for my 2008 LC. What weight springs did you put on this?

I'm running the heaviest Dobinsons springs I could get. The Dobinson's rear bumper weighs between 230 to 250lbs. I removed the stock trailer hitch at the moment. Not sure how much the stock bumper weighed. I should have plenty of extra spring capacity left. Lots of lift in the rear still to be used.

1616504932758.png

1616505340365.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with what the new wheel hub to well measurement after the IMFC install on their LC100?

Is it correct to assume the rear heights are set and you can adjust the from wheel height with the torsion bar?

Also what rake is everyone using?

Here is a photo of the stock heights:
E1C98337-9CAD-442E-9023-42B181EC060B.jpeg

The lift is measured from the center of the Axle to the bottom of the fender well.

View attachment 2613595

I'm running a Dobinsons IMS suspension with a 2" lift in the front and 3" in the rear to replace AHC. I've read that rake combination gives a good ride. The Dobinsons IMS use an internal floating piston. I learned about Dobonsons IMS from the 4Runner community. I am happy with the ride. It feels like the AHC setting that is between Normal and Sport setting. Note that I'm running metal bumpers, and rock slide. so I am heavier than a stock LX.

View attachment 2613596
Is it correct to assume that the rear height is not adjustable but the front is? Would you recommend a 1 or 2 inch rake?

Also does anyone have comments on whether to change the upper and lower trailing arm on the veichle?

Also does anyone have comments on whether to change the upper and lower trailing arm on the veichle?
The rear height is non-adjustable, you can add spacers to the springs to make the rear higher if you want. To lower the rear you would have to swap to a rear spring with a lower spring rate.
I did not have to change the upper or lower trailing arms. I did have to change the front upper control arms to get my alignment in spec because I went to the bleeding edge of front lift. I measure 22 inches on each side from hub to fender. I had to get aftermarket UCA's to get the caster into spec.
I have about a 2 inch rake unloaded and about an inch rake loaded. I am using the rear C springs for more weight. Im still on factory 31 inch tires in this photo but it will give you an idea of the rake you get with ironman foam cell c spings.
Profile (2).jpg

Last edited:
The rear height is non-adjustable, you can add spacers to the springs to make the rear higher if you want. To lower the rear you would have to swap to a rear spring with a lower spring rate.
I did not have to change the upper or lower trailing arms. I did have to change the front upper control arms to get my alignment in spec because I went to the bleeding edge of front lift. I measure 22 inches on each side from hub to fender. I had to get aftermarket UCA's to get the caster into spec.
I have about a 2 inch rake unloaded and about an inch rake loaded. I am using the rear C springs for more weight.
Thanks! Yea that makes sense with so much front lift you definitely need to change control arms. I think the stock front is 19”. A 3 inch lift is gonna change caster by >3 degrees, beyond what you can adjust.

I'm in the same boat here.
2005 LX470 w/150k and the AHC system is leaking from the rear drivers side line. The RAM's (can't call em shocks) are whooped and I just ordered the IM stage 3 kit and waiting to install. Adding AHC fluid anytime the system shows me it's low (roughly every few weeks) so it doesn't go into limp mode. The accumulators are good (measured a difference of 13 before the leak started) and I may try to save AHC bits, but just want a regular suspension now. Good info as I was curious about the difference in ride.

subscribed, thank you

Truck is in the shop right now. Should be getting it soon. Will update everyone on how this goes!

Hey guys, just got the IMFC Stage 2 installed today!!

Foam Cell Pro 2" Suspension Kit Suited for Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 - Stage 2 - https://ironman4x4america.com/foam-cell-pro-2-suspension-kit-suited-for-toyota-100-series-land-cruiser-lexus-lx470-stage-2/

The overall driving impression is that:
  • Highway: Factory Most Comfort to Comfort Setting compared to stock
    • This is super smooth! Closer to the most comfortable setting on the stock with nob turned all the way to the left
  • City Road: Factory Comfort to Sport (Not the Sportiest setting with nob turned all the way to the right) compared to stock
  • I have a 1" rake between the front and rear
  • ~2" lift all around
  • I ended up getting the differential drop kit
    • As you can see the Rack&Pinion is almost straight
Pictures linked here:

Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift kit installed - with pictures - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ironman-foam-cell-pro-lift-kit-installed-with-pictures.1010774/post-13802753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom