OLD - Breakfast at The Bone, Sunday 3/14 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Way to pick the day clocks moved forward

Decent turnout
20210314_104257.jpg

Since you didn't show up stump we got the left over cinnamon rolls

Sorry I missed it. Had to pull my bathroom ceiling apart this morning and get a starling nest out of the ceiling vent that they started building yesterday. Apparently you have a day or two before they lay an egg and then you’re legally stuck with it- and you’re also not allowed to eat the eggs or the birds so there was no benefit to letting them roost and therefore couldn’t make it this morning. (This is a great excuse that I may use more often.)

Great seeing everyone today, that place is the bomb, long drive but definitely worth it

Sorry I missed it. Had to pull my bathroom ceiling apart this morning and get a starling nest out of the ceiling vent that they started building yesterday. Apparently you have a day or two before they lay an egg and then you’re legally stuck with it- and you’re also not allowed to eat the eggs or the birds so there was no benefit to letting them roost and therefore couldn’t make it this morning. (This is a great excuse that I may use more often.)
Starlings are invasive but have legal protection? Well now i've heard everything.
Do you have to pay for its college?

European starling can and should be removed. They're an absolute scourge.
Perhaps only a tiny step below house sparrows.

As a birding buddy of mine remarked, "If could pull a lever and kill every one of them on the continent, I would do it."

Starlings are easy enough to spot and target. But they move in such large groups that their collective awareness provides them incredible protection.
The issue with the house sparrows is that they look very similar to the native house finch. Thereby making them difficult eradicate. That, and they're tiny. Despite their size, the sparrows will actively wipe out native bird populations. And people think they're just cute little birdies.

Maybe this belongs in the NEPTIC thread? lol

I actually had moderately-reasonable hopes of making this b-fast, but some issues came up around the house this weekend. I do need to get down to Merrifield Gardens, which is right in that area-ish.

Starlings are easy enough to spot and target. But they move in such large groups that their collective awareness provides them incredible protection.
The issue with the house sparrows is that they look very similar to the native house finch. Thereby making them difficult eradicate. That, and they're tiny. Despite their size, the sparrows will actively wipe out native bird populations. And people think they're just cute little birdies.

Maybe this belongs in the NEPTIC thread? lol

I actually had moderately-reasonable hopes of making this b-fast, but some issues came up around the house this weekend. I do need to get down to Merrifield Gardens, which is right in that area-ish.
And both species are very aggressive. Nasty is an apt description.

Starlings are invasive but have legal protection? Well now i've heard everything.
Do you have to pay for its college?
Yeah the google results were a bit confusing and contradictory about if the starlings have an “active” nest but it looks like you’re right. Even their nests are not legally protected. That’s good to know, but I still wouldn’t want for them to start laying eggs before getting their nest out.

“Though federal law allows you to remove starling and house sparrow eggs, it is illegal to remove the nests or eggs of all other birds.” https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/what-do-about-starlings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom