The one ton swap thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What size heims or joints are you going with? 1.25 is a little small for tube links. My heims are 1.25.

Someone lent me a powder coat gun and an oven and now I’m getting these things coated. Beadlock rings will be more of a gold color with stainless flush mount fasteners. You can see the matte finish before the oven

F27AE292-3CCD-40E0-AD12-0F486DC150BF.jpeg

The shadows make them look a bit darker than they appear, I was aiming for more of a gunmetal grey, the color is silver vein but it’s more a darker hammered sort of color than silver.

DD966437-3DD3-4C52-8F8D-ABEA98F5D311.jpeg

03A3F1EA-D46D-44F2-AF54-4F729C2DBD1B.jpeg

Wheels have both a shrader valve and a brass “air compressor tank dump valve” to make airing down quick, and I can check pressure with a gauge while it is dumping air.

7AF9D0CF-6017-482D-9140-EA767FC880D2.jpeg

I’m a little worried about 100% paint coverage so I’m going to clear coat the things with clear aerosol paint to try and prevent rust before I mount them.

Last edited:
I feel like I’m going to need 1 tons after this duramax swap. I’m either going to destroy the 80 tcase or the axles...I guess time will tell what happens!

I feel like I’m going to need 1 tons after this duramax swap. I’m either going to destroy the 80 tcase or the axles...I guess time will tell what happens!

Well.. Ive had this thing for probably over ten years. The carnage has always been rear diff, and a birfield. Actually the spindle bearings in the front a few times.cAnd specifically the pinion usually spits out teeth first.

I think 35" and under is not really a problem and I never had breakage when I had 35's and the auto, and your duramax is gonna be lighter than the 6BT. If you are hard on it though or are going bigger, it may be a worthwhile upgrade, and to be honest if you want to tow and have brakes that are a bit more capable then a SD dana 60 and 14 bolt or whatever may be worth the investment.

Well. Tires are a pain. All of them had a small leak, three had a pin hole near the drain valve. Sand blasted some paint on the weld and rewelded the other between the outer head and tire. A little bit of vulcanizing rubber paint was the fix.

They all seam to like a bit of rubber vulcanizing paint around the outer lip. I kind of think the anti cone ring should be like 1mm less wide but seeming to hold air now.

Started on the rear fenders. Took out 3.25”, gonna have to go about another 1”

B69FE4E2-A7EA-411D-BE98-4B176942C6F0.jpeg

C907D674-704B-414D-8D63-F750727798C8.jpeg

5B387AD6-3473-4FEB-B7EA-25CAA3A94FAB.jpeg

0B7DF2C9-C817-4969-8676-53BF2B876108.jpeg

Some more of wheel well widening.

Will weld in some metal later and coat with epoxy primer. Not sure if I want to try the fiberglass myself or pay someone to tackle the fenders.

Tires look to be sticking out about 4.5” past the fenders.

5A7FE9FD-6181-415F-9840-00134B91B63D.jpeg

5BD96933-CA94-4CCB-8A63-8569B36816FA.jpeg

491BF329-9708-4AEF-BE70-26C408752756.jpeg

“Cut, cut, cut your fenders! Gently till you clear!

Holy smokes a wiring wiring harness, keep that extinguisher near!!!”

Remember that song from your childhood?

It’s about 4.5” widened now, seems about right.

4DA183C9-B6C2-4CED-84BD-CB3F1E59E127.jpeg

9B4EEF98-7A1F-4EE6-BE85-9CC694E88524.jpeg

F075F354-4886-4939-BE20-D125A9C7BA01.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, it’s coming along slowly.

I’d like to get the trans back to make sure the angle for the pinion flange is where I want it to be before I finish and weld the upper wishbone.

Front axle is almost ready for being burnt together, waiting on the machinist for the pucks that will slide in the outer knuckles.

The six shooters are in trade for some of the welding work but they were bare so I powder coated them anyways.

I have powder coated almost everything, and stripped and am rebuilding rear calipers. Baked them in the oven bare to get any contamination off them. Will sand blast cabinet them one more time and flap disc the tougher casting before powder coating them. Fronts were new so they just got matching aerosol paint and clear coat. Planning on coating the D60 knuckles and high steer whenever the machinist gets them done as well.

I also purchased some things that I didn’t necessarily need. In the long term I’d like an electric auburn diff up front. I want to be sure I like the 4.11 gear set, as the D60 uses a different carrier for 4.11 and faster gears, and one for 4.56 and slower gear sets but found one of these hard to find Contura lockkng switches. In a full time 4WD rig you don’t want someone accidentally bumping the switch on the highway at speed

Grabbed some 1/2” synthetic winch cable, new aluminum fairlead as well.

EFD3CB24-7979-499E-827E-49F82E386C12.jpeg

F1705BE4-24B7-4E50-842E-FC092105B5A2.jpeg

770E5983-4589-4BC8-BE21-9B1A587DBF53.jpeg

811547F5-A813-42F9-837B-C5E98294D713.jpeg

FF278B2A-D80F-4B8F-98FC-3EE7C337F76F.jpeg

Last edited:
You can very easily find "thick" gears to put higher-ratio gears with the 4.10- carrier. (I just put some 5.38 gears on a factory 3.73 carrier this week....)

My understanding is that they make two different carriers:

these guys list separate carriers for ARB, yukon, ox etc.

Just reading some bad reviews on the auburn now, might read some more and go with something else.

Edit: I need a hand, Im trying to find out which master cylinder to swap to. I thought I had a T-100 master cylinder in the garage for an upgrade, I was going to swap that in, I cant find it now and am looking to probably order off rockauto or something but I want to know exactly what will be best before ordering.

Ill try digging through some swap threads, I think theres probably only 12 people that follow this thread but if anyone knows off hand which thread or which cylinder people are using please post up or post a link.

Last edited:
In the past I used an adapter from Sky off road to go to a one ton master cylinder.

In the past I used an adapter from Sky off road to go to a one ton master cylinder.

Hmm, on an 80 you had it? Which one ton master cylinder? Sounds like the T100 came with both 1” and 1-1/16” and ABS and non ABS.

I’m wondering now if I’ll need that adapter as well. Off to check out the sky off road site

You need a master cylinder bigger than the T100 1 1/16” bore to feed those big calipers. Go hydro boost with 1 1/4” or maybe 1 5/16” bore MC.

You need a master cylinder bigger than the T100 1 1/16” bore to feed those big calipers. Go hydro boost with 1 1/4” or maybe 1 5/16” bore MC.

Well crap... I’m really not wanting to go to hydro boost ($$) and good to know about bore sizes.

I’ll read a bit more and see if I can find some more first hand experiences, but I’m glad you posted up before I order parts.

From Nuke's build thread:

Quick op-ed on brakes...

So the stock cruiser brakes aren't great, but they are trying to stop a heavy vehicle with fairly small rotors. Bigger brakes stop better, but they require more fluid. More fluid means a softer pedal. Unless you use a bigger MC, but then you get lower pressure in the lines. So you aren't really stopping any better if you size it equivalently.

Nowadays, even modern gas engines typically either boost the brakes electrohydraulically (UZJ100, 4th gen 4runners) or they use hydroboost (GM half tons, etc). So we're asking a lot out of the stock brakes.

Given the difference in caliper size, I needed almost twice the amount of fluid displacement to actuate these monster 1 ton front and rear calipers. I tried 4 different GM master cylinder sizes. a 28.6/40mm step bore, a 1.125 straight bore, a 37mm straight bore, and eventually landed on a 1.25" straight bore (off a 95 K3500 or something). The pedal is a bit soft, but the additional pressure really helps the calipers clamp the rotors. The other benefit of having a slightly undersized master is that you may still have a chance of stopping the vehicle if the engine dies or the booster leaks or something. This has real value to me - I want to know that if the rig stalls or dies or someone is under it and the booster is leaking, that I can still just mash the pedal with my body weight and keep it from moving. And this size does.

Well crap... I’m really not wanting to go to hydro boost ($$) and good to know about bore sizes.

I’ll read a bit more and see if I can find some more first hand experiences, but I’m glad you posted up before I order parts.
I'm running a hydro booster with 1 1/8' MC, stock 80 calipers, abs deleted and the pedal travel is well under 2" for normal braking. I could drive any trail bare foot and run the brakes with my big toe all day long. Diesel powered pickups have used hydro boost for years now and even some gas powered passenger cars have used it. It's not as expensive as you might think when compared to new, authentic Toyota parts especially if you can acquire some good use parts. A family owned business in southern CA called VanCo can hydro boost any vehicle and they know their business. If nothing else, they would be a good source of info for you.

You'll be running huge tires and huge brakes, there is no point in toying around with the booster and MC.

I'm running a hydro booster with 1 1/8' MC, stock 80 calipers, abs deleted and the pedal travel is well under 2" for normal braking. I could drive any trail bare foot and run the brakes with my big toe all day long. Diesel powered pickups have used hydro boost for years now and even some gas powered passenger cars have used it. It's not as expensive as you might think when compared to new, authentic Toyota parts especially if you can acquire some good use parts. A family owned business in southern CA called VanCo can hydro boost any vehicle and they know their business. If nothing else, they would be a good source of info for you.

You'll be running huge tires and huge brakes, there is no point in toying around with the booster and MC.
What would you guess you have into it as a total?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom