Tail light question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most FJ40's seem to have their tail lights mounted on the bumper....... my FJ has them incorporated into the rear quarter panel, have seen a few photos of that as well. Is their an explanation behind when this occurs?

Most FJ40's seem to have their tail lights mounted on the bumper....... my FJ has them incorporated into the rear quarter panel, have seen a few photos of that as well. Is their an explanation behind when this occurs?
The earlier model 40 cruisers had them mounted under the fender, the later model 40s had them inside the bumper. Here is a picture of mine with original location for ‘75-84....

08FA6AE8-6E11-4054-958C-175FAEDB4AD7.jpeg

The second image is earlier model cruiser rear light location

E6A1C475-BBEF-4F8B-BE17-33A467A73EBA.jpeg

the issue i will have is the spare tire is going to cover the passenger side tail light.
yea, the tire may be quite a bit of work, because when you move the light, it will have a hole, and then you have to move the light, but then it will be uneven with the other light on the other side....blah blah. It is certainly possible but you will either need to do some welding, or make a bondo sculpture. The wiring shouldn't be too bad, just a matter of moving wires from one place to another, but filling in the holes will be tricky.

Troutbum's 40' is an early model. The tailights bolted on the ends of the rear crossmember, like in Pura's second pic. Back in the day, folks moved the taillights into the 1/4 panel so they wouldnt get broken on the trail.

You can buy the lights and brackets new from a couple of places and put them back where they started. Leave the ones you have or fill the holes.
Here’s a couple of pics from when I cleaned mine up.

C657BFCB-4D9B-44D0-BFDD-88ADE919ECB7.jpeg

E015CA57-A84A-4D31-9601-D6461E5D686F.jpeg

I put a set of these on mine in the stock location, they required a tiny bit of messing around to fit but they are way more visible than the originals which i have saved packed away. The pictures in the auction show two different types, the ones i received are the later pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom