Catch can - results after 1,000 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So about a month ago I installed a cheap catch can on my 04 LX after seeing others complain of oil in the manifold. Knowing most motors can benefit from a catch can I ordered up the best catch can I could find on eBay and got to work. Install was quick and dirty because I wanted to see if this was in fact needed.
DBB8588A-25E4-4F23-85FE-C79F25D30B7A.jpeg

Yesterday I finally reached 1,000 miles so I opened it up to find quite a bit of oil.
3EA0E0E4-6035-4808-9240-E5428DEBACC4.jpeg

So after seeing this I feel at least my motor will benefit from a catch can. I’m moving to TN next week so I have cleaned the can out and will be checking it once we arrive. That will be roughly 2100 miles so I’m expecting at least double that amount of oil. Would definitely be interested in seeing others results to get a better feel if it’s just mine or if it’s the 100 motors in general.

Also side note I’m interested in seeing how the oil looks after the trip. Oil in the can looks pretty glittery but my engine oil is clean so I’m guessing the oil catch or hoses I used had s*** in them.
385FFCB7-3F66-4643-A864-82F03C98FD2D.jpeg

I agree that these engines can benefit from a catch can and am glad to see you have good luck with the install.

One thing I noted on my 80 Series which I had installed for several years, is that on long trips I collected less oil than when I was just daily driving and my trips were less than 10-15 miles each way.

Where did you get your hose and was the fit snug on the engine fittings?

@molonlabemike thanks for posting I have a couple catch cans I was going to install along with some other stuff but I think I may go ahead and put them on first. I got two, one for each bank.

@94SRUNNER makes sense because on short trips there is a lot of condensation that builds up and more blow by with cold rings.

A few spider legs and you *may* just invent a "tasty" new beverage!

I agree that these engines can benefit from a catch can and am glad to see you have good luck with the install.

One thing I noted on my 80 Series which I had installed for several years, is that on long trips I collected less oil than when I was just daily driving and my trips were less than 10-15 miles each way.

Where did you get your hose and was the fit snug on the engine fittings?
We shall see but I do believe you are right. Most of my driving lately has been shorter trips aka less then 100 miles at a time. For hoses I had some extra 3/8 fuel hose that I stuck in hot water to loosen up then slipped them over the fittings.

That's pretty cool. Bonus points if you can add a drain back to the pan, perhaps with a little inline filter to prevent your lines or the can from adding any crap to the primary oil filter. Catch cans are something I think should be on most engines. More OEMs seemed to be including them 5-10 years ago. I'm a bit behind on modern engines so maybe it's even a standard thing by now? 🤷

That's pretty cool. Bonus points if you can add a drain back to the pan, perhaps with a little inline filter to prevent your lines or the can from adding any crap to the primary oil filter. Catch cans are something I think should be on most engines. More OEMs seemed to be including them 5-10 years ago. I'm a bit behind on modern engines so maybe it's even a standard thing by now? 🤷

a oil return would be pretty slick (no pun 😂). I had that on my STI years ago and it was a no fuss and no mess setup. I figure with this the cost of entry is really cheap and install is super easy most guys on here could do it in an hour with limited tools.

@molonlabemike thanks for posting I have a couple catch cans I was going to install along with some other stuff but I think I may go ahead and put them on first. I got two, one for each bank.

@94SRUNNER makes sense because on short trips there is a lot of condensation that builds up and more blow by with cold rings.
I will be interested in seeing yours, I may copy.

Make a how to:)

Typically, the muck found in catch cans is not the type of stuff you want to recycle into your oil pan.

Typically, the muck found in catch cans is not the type of stuff you want to recycle into your oil pan.
I concur. The material I collected in the catch can on my 80 Series was a mixture of oil and water (from condensation). It went straight into the used oil carboy.

I know the Oil Separator on my 80 Series will catch a pretty good amount in just 500 miles.

Oil Sep.jpg

That is a lot of oil. What lines exactly are you putting these things in?

Appears to be a bunch of metallic sediment in it. What is that?

Im afraid the steel wool would contaminate the oil with metal. Does it still work well without it?

Just put a copper 'brillo' scrub pad in there. The oil vapor will collect on that and condense. And it isn't going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom