Ham antenna on ball mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddog90

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone ever converted an old school CB ball mount to run a ham antenna?

hCdKsXc.jpg

PYRa2dR.jpg

Thanks

CB is often referred to as 11M by hams, since it occupies about that wavelength. 10M is a popular ham wavelength, and you can talk all over the world on it when solar conditions are right.

So, it wouldn't be difficult to trim a cb antenna to tune 10M. Other than that, I suppose you could use that base to mount something like a hamstick or other similar vertical antenna. Hamsticks come in many popular HF and MF wavelengths. Personally, I don't like springs on the bottom of my antennas; they make it harder to get good SWR.

If you're wanting to mount a VHF/UHF ham antenna, you'd be better off using a conventional NMO mount.

not an expert on antennas, but I would think that it should be possible to work out mounting a ham antenna on that kind of base if you keep the wiring proper. After all it's just 2 wires coming out in principle. Although the fact that the mount may be grounded to the body may matter. I would also think that it would be important to keep the length of the cable and wiring to the appropriate value for the frequency of interest. But just guessing here.

What bands do you want to operate on?

NMO is a good mount with tons of antenna options but there are a couple antennas that use the 3/8" thread. Since you already have the other mount they are something to consider.

THe MFJ-1414 does vhf/uhf but it is an MFJ which can be hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom