1973 FJ40 SM465 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice I usually bolt the bellhousing to the engine first and then slide the tranny itself into the bellhousing. But your way works too. ,,I hope your clutch setup has a lot of travel a lot of guys have issues with that tall finger pressure plate and the Toyota clutch slave and master cylinder. ,, I would set up all the clutch stuff and check travel before u bolt in all the seats and gas tank. ,,

Nice I usually bolt the bellhousing to the engine first and then slide the tranny itself into the bellhousing. But your way works too. ,,I hope your clutch setup has a lot of travel a lot of guys have issues with that tall finger pressure plate and the Toyota clutch slave and master cylinder. ,, I would set up all the clutch stuff and check travel before u bolt in all the seats and gas tank. ,,
I hope it works! You’ve got me worried about the clutch. The old setup worked with a similar pressure plate but that was to the original 3 speed transmission. It had a weird GM bellhousing though. It was like a half shell. The bottom was missing.
I have to take the slave cylinder off because I didn’t stick the pushrod in when we mounted the transmission. Hopefully it will change gears when I get that on.

Instead of messing with the slave cylinder or any of the pedal stuff, I just got some longer bolts for the bellhousing to the block, put them in, and slid it back a bit. I was able to slide the bolt in the interior hole. I hooked the return spring to the outside hole. The clutch pedal is TIGHT but feels like it is throwing out enough. Gonna put it through some gears tomorrow and turn the crank shaft and see what it does. It looks like it’s gonna work but I want to test a few things before I put the transfer case on and put the seats back in.

906A9138-642E-4FEE-B6AB-D1679E0288D8.jpeg

It's been too cold and rainy to get any work done. I am ready to mount the transfer case. I am really second guessing this 7" long AA adapter. It's going to push the TC way far back and will make the rear driveshaft pretty short. Are there any other options out there? I have seen where others have used a Classic Cruisers adapter that is only an inch thick (not 7") but I cannot find them anywhere on their website. I would love to be able to use my current driveshafts if possible.

When you get it running I have a shift plate that shows the correct shift patter for the 4 speed SM465 transmission. If interested send me a PM. I sell my shift plates to fellow Mudders for $24.00 plus the ride, Small flat rate box Priority.

4 speed sm465.JPG

When you get it running I have a shift plate that shows the correct shift patter for the 4 speed SM465 transmission. If interested send me a PM. I sell my shift plates to fellow Mudders for $24.00 plus the ride, Small flat rate box Priority.

View attachment 2586708
Nice! I will definitely get back to you for one of these. I'm getting closer to getting this drivetrain swap done.

Well, I started this boring thread but I’m gonna finish it. I got the adapter and TC hooked up today. That 7” AA adapter pushes the TC WAY BACK. It’s really close to the frame cross member but is just below it when I lower the transmission some. I’ve got to figure out if I can use the propeller crossmember I have or go with something else. Anyways, I think there was some progress today. The driveshaft has to be shortened a lot too.

A3D8F183-B0F8-4C00-9170-48114BEBCAD5.jpeg

EDF992C5-7283-44EB-A629-A92CA1822259.jpeg

B1AA98A0-A91E-473A-B8E6-279082124B26.jpeg

5A6A5A4A-7A6B-441B-BA23-DB7E02CEE30D.jpeg

All the TC linkage is under the passenger side floorboard and the gas tank.

D8E890FB-9568-4DCB-AAE8-1BAA93C5D08C.jpeg

B657689E-072A-4427-9B8E-84968DA91C28.jpeg

Looks like it is time for a twinstick. If possible i would no go with the propeller cross member. I've only seen them leak. Does that AA adapter have a crossmember mount on the bottom?

Looks like it is time for a twinstick. If possible i would no go with the propeller cross member. I've only seen them leak. Does that AA adapter have a crossmember mount on the bottom?
Thanks for the heads up. I don’t see a crossmember mount on the bottom (here’s a picture). I do like the previous owners setup for the crossmember. They had two heavy 90 degree bend mounts welded to the frame that bolted to a steel crossmember that would bolt to the transfer case. I’m gonna see if I have a picture of it. If possible, I may try to do something like that.

7B9E57CC-6BA8-4D46-963A-CA4460479FE0.jpeg

Holy cow that's a long adapter. Classic cruisers didn't have any more plate adapters?
I know! It’s pretty ridiculous. When I bought this setup I didn’t realize how far back this was going to put stuff. Ignorance on my part. Nah, they don’t have them anymore. I didn’t have the output shaft drilled/tapped either and already have the transmission installed. Next time I will find a plate adapter and tap the output. I guess I’ve got to roll with this for now. It won’t be bad but it’s causing a lot of extra work.

Hey, I was looking at the plate you made for your transfer case linkage setup. Do you have a template of that? I have a plate that will mount to the side of the SM465 but it's nothing like how you did yours. Yours looks pretty cool.

I know I’ve had a million questions but really need help here. The previous owner had made a crossmember that bolted to the front of the TC, had a bushing under that, then was bolted to the steel bar that went from frame rail to frame rail. I can’t use that same location to mount the crossmember now with the SM465 and especially with the 7” adapter. I need to go back like 7” if I try to do it the way they had it. Problem is there is a frame mount where I’d need to bolt/weld new brackets. My big question is do I have to make a crossmember that is attached to the FJ40 TC? Can I make one that just holds the transmission in place? I can’t use that propeller style crossmember because I am so far back now. The rear output yoke of the TC is in the rear frame crossmember now. Im going to have to cut it out now and move it back some.
So question is, can I support the SM465 somewhere and be good? Any advice, pics, etc would be good. Thanks!

B17A7AF1-4B36-4321-8371-B711F2885AE9.jpeg

200EC35B-5322-40D0-919A-AE1B33CA6B4A.jpeg

242D71A6-0D47-4F3C-A971-AAECF4C76AA9.jpeg

8044101A-4E1A-4E24-9937-E4555C27EBD4.jpeg

I know I’ve had a million questions but really need help here. The previous owner had made a crossmember that bolted to the front of the TC, had a bushing under that, then was bolted to the steel bar that went from frame rail to frame rail. I can’t use that same location to mount the crossmember now with the SM465 and especially with the 7” adapter. I need to go back like 7” if I try to do it the way they had it. Problem is there is a frame mount where I’d need to bolt/weld new brackets. My big question is do I have to make a crossmember that is attached to the FJ40 TC? Can I make one that just holds the transmission in place? I can’t use that propeller style crossmember because I am so far back now. The rear output yoke of the TC is in the rear frame crossmember now. Im going to have to cut it out now and move it back some.
So question is, can I support the SM465 somewhere and be good? Any advice, pics, etc would be good. Thanks!

View attachment 2613074

View attachment 2613075

View attachment 2613076

View attachment 2613077
Here’s what they made disassembled.

B8B8B438-DCAB-45C8-96C0-CB2FD44FBADA.jpeg

Not sure of your fabrication desire level, but this is what I’m planing to do when I get time- sm465 transmission crossmember mount - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sm465-transmission-crossmember-mount.541541/
Basically, removing to pto covers on the sm465 and creating a cradle in their place. Then creating a crossmember to mount it to. Currently, I’m running a plate adapter and AA crossmember on my Orion. Since I switched to the Orion(cast iron), this project has moved to the back burner tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom