For any who are interested in the "blues" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a tough decision coming up in terms of what color I will paint my 6/72. Early on I planned to go with Cadet Blue after seeing some of the FJ Company rigs they have done. Unfortunately when looking up many of these old paint codes (to include cadet and river blue) didn't return anything here in California. Most likely a California problem if you ask me. These are the paint codes and sprayouts we've done so far. Lots of great options for anyone who might be looking to paint a blue FJ40 in the future. @jim land Dirty Blue is a great PPG option, thanks to him for all his posts. Calvary Blue is the color you are seeing on the new Tacoma's and Tundras. Truth be told, I'm leaning to Rhonda. Take a look for yourself, first picture is in the shade, second in the sun.
IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6701.jpg

great post. i have a '72 as well and will be going through this sooner than later so it's good Information. i was under the impression mine was horizontal blue? would that be the capri blue here?

I guess blue cars cause cancer in California.

@steffan I got these paint codes off of https://paintref.com/ the first set of numbers is the toyota paint code. For example, horizontal blue is T-806. The second set is the PPG code, The third is the dupont code ... Gleam, Horizontal and Capri all look similar until you see them on here. Keeping in mind this is a digital representation of the paint but still slight differences.
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 10.01.11 AM.png

It's the PPG Delfleet Essential 196450. AKA Jim Land Blue.
It's crazy to me how much the sun/shade and not seeing it in person can play tricks on your eyes. Your pictures in the shade look just like Jim Land Blue, in the sun my first guess would have been gleam then you split the difference and I had to guess Capri!

It's crazy to me how much the sun/shade and not seeing it in person can play tricks on your eyes. Your pictures in the shade look just like Jim Land Blue, in the sun my first guess would have been gleam then you split the difference and I had to guess Capri!
It really does change a lot with light. I really like it. I wish I had complete pictures to show but that's all I have painted to date.

SweetPea, thanks for starting this thread - hope i'm not derailing/ taking it over. I've been going through this for a while now and could not nail down a color so I just decided to go with the original color and forgo the decision. however, now i'm having a hard time deciding what the original color truly is. these shots seem to be the best representation

tempImageul7PR0.png

tempImageXbIvUl.png

SweetPea, thanks for starting this thread - hope i'm not derailing/ taking it over. I've been going through this for a while now and could not nail down a color so I just decided to go with the original color and forgo the decision. however, now i'm having a hard time deciding what the original color truly is. these shots seem to be the best representation

View attachment 2606472

View attachment 2606473
@steffan I think you are validating my predicament haha! The first pic looks like Capri, second pic looks like Gleam! If you haven't taken off your vin plate yet, underneath the vin plate should be a well preserved paint sample. You should check out this thread too, just proves how much variation there has been over the years...https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/show-off-your-blue-fj40.469645/

of those, I vote Rhonda as well.

Like you I wanted to do Cadet Blue, but getting it seemed hard. I ended up going with Arles Blue (mid 90's Land Rover) after seeing another rig on here. It's a bit darker, but I like it a lot. I haven't sprayed paint, just tinted bedliner so far, but you can see the color here:

pSU3V2VCQU6BNF7uJ0ZcnQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom