A Question on gearing and tire size. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a built 2006 100 with 136k mi. I have front and rear bumpers, winch, sliders and roof top tent all coming in around 650lbs. I’m running nitro 33’s with 1” spacers and Ironman 2” lift suspension.

My LC drives great except for the occasional tow of 5k lbs (race car and trailer) to the track. The higher gearing from the switch of 31 to 33s and the additional weight is really noticeable.

I’m now considering getting a travel trailer which comes in at about 4500 pounds. And as a result I’m thinking about re gearing. My question is do I go to 4.3 gearing to bring the final drive gearing back to approximate factory specs with the larger 33’s. Or do I move up to 4.88 gearing and go for bigger tires, possibly 35’s. I figure if I’m gonna spend the money, I’d rather not get a minor correction in gearing. Any thoughts?

The cheapest and easiest option is to just get some 4.30 diffs from an earlier model 100 for $400 a piece at a salvage yard and slap them in. I think going from 4.10s to 4.56s would be ideal for your setup, but I have an early 100 with 4.30s, so my opinion is prob useless.

The cheapest and easiest option is to just get some 4.30 diffs from an earlier model 100 for $400 a piece at a salvage yard and slap them in. I think going from 4.10s to 4.56s would be ideal for your setup, but I have an early 100 with 4.30s, so my opinion is prob useless.
I didn’t know earlier 100’s had 4.3. It seems the only option for aftermarket is 4.3 or 4.88, nothing in between. Are you aware of 4.56 gears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom