Help diagnose, key stuck in ACC and won't come out (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate all this newfangled gearshift stuff anyway. This is my wife’s truck. I drive a stick!

^^^^

Well....that's the trouble. If She's anything like my Wife this creates a sense or urgency (HER vehicle to drive, not yours).

And of course, your very Manhood is now at stake. IF you manage to fix it, you'll be her hero (if done in a reasonable amount of time). IF not...then Lord help you...because She will remember it as: You having worked on it and it got worse and worse (whether true or not).

And in typical Female fashion will bring this up for years to come (they never forget or forgive). ;)

So....Mud Members, let's help the man figure this out. This could turn into a desperate situation.

He's screwed either way. It was working before he "started messing with it".

My condolences

You guys have no idea...

We go into the mechanic one time to drop it off for a service and the guy says to my wife “Anything you want us to have a look at?” My wife says “Yeah, I think the manifold shields are loose.” Guy looks at me and says, “Dude, you’re screwed. Gotta love a woman who knows when her manifold shields are loose!”

He's screwed either way. It was working before he "started messing with it".

My condolences

A fair point and probably accurate.

But always best to try and 'minimize' the suffrage to come.

You guys have no idea...

We go into the mechanic one time to drop it off for a service and the guy says to my wife “Anything you want us to have a look at?” My wife says “Yeah, I think the manifold shields are loose.” Guy looks at me and says, “Dude, you’re screwed. Gotta love a woman who knows when her manifold shields are loose!”

It's unanimous then. :frown:

While I’m waiting for the battery to charge let me show y’all what I’ve been up to. Like I was saying at the beginning we’re redoing the interior. We’re first owners, raised our kid in there since he was 5. He’s a teacher now. That truck’s been thru family vacations, ski trips, beach getaways, blizzards, hurricanes, a decade+ of football and baseball games and practices, half my son’s teams ending up in it after games to go grab food. The truck is part of the family.

So now that it’s just us we’ve been discussing what to do with it, since we plan to keep it for the long term. 230,000 miles and we’ve just about got it broken in now.

But after 20 years I feel like my wife deserves a new car, so we are making the car new. We just did a paint job and are now doing the carpets, leather, and headliner. I did the sound system a few years ago, and we recently did new AC (we are in Florida...), new suspension, and new exhaust (not the cats, good Lord the price of those things...).

When I did the stereo I did as much sound deadening as I could reach. Now that a trim shop was going to pull the whole interior I wanted to finish the job, and then throw a layer of Noico over that.

So they stripped the car down on Friday and put the drivers seat back in for me to bring home and work on. Then I brought it back to them on Monday. Neither of us are done, I still need to finish the Noico in back this weekend and then get it back in to them on Monday for them to finish up. I would really love to have this thing sorted out when I bring it back in, otherwise I’m worried the soft trim shop will start trying to fix it, and I don’t want soft trim techs messing with my gearshift.

Here’s a few photos. This was a week ago on Friday night at 1am:

D0217E34-4F25-4875-837F-412188E04398.jpeg

So yeah, the Mrs. is really digging me...

it’s ok though, I had a productive weekend, screwing up the gearshift not withstanding:

FE330D48-CA53-4D5B-A1EC-91114E7525CC.jpeg

0A8D3655-6FB9-4FF6-932D-9EEA5FAD4EAF.jpeg

69B66394-E666-471E-9065-E4A5CB5371C0.jpeg

56F71267-E67D-4803-B227-11BCACD106DA.jpeg

That’s already been carpeted over. This weekend is about the back bed. And this dang gear shift.

I agree that a mechanical reason inside the key cylinder is very unlikely at this point, so let's put that possibility aside for now.

The issue with your shifter first NOT coming out of Park and the attendant 'over shooting' of the lever would indicate an adjustment issue to me.

For that problem....I would be inclined to reset it:

1. Loosen the nut on the shift lever.
  2. Move the control shaft on the transmission fully to the rearward position.
  3. Then bring the control shaft back forward (two notches) to the Neutral Position.
  4. Set the shift lever in its Neutral Position.
  5. Hold the shift lever lightly forward (towards the R position) and tighten the Shift Lever Nut.
This way we KNOW we are starting with a correctly oriented shifter/control shaft relationship.

After doing that....check to see that you can start the vehicle in both Park and Neutral.

Report back and we'll go from there.

As for the key not withdrawing from the cylinder we can eliminate one possibility by just testing the Key Interlock Solenoid:

View attachment 2604308

You should be able to find the connector for the KIS by following the wires coming from the bottom of the key cylinder to the harness.
How am I going about the gearshift adjustment? Turn car on with park brake engaged to move shifter? Or do it with vehicle off and use the shift lock override?

Looks good. You didn't happen to 'wrap/insulate' anything that bolts to the body for a 'ground' did you?

How am I going about the gearshift adjustment? Turn car on with park brake engaged to move shifter? Or do it with vehicle off and use the shift lock override?

Vehicle off for this. Use over ride when time to move shifter. Chock wheels or use parking brake.

I'll bet that amp gets quite toasty. Seat heaters can die on that seat and you'd never know!

Looks good. You didn't happen to 'wrap/insulate' anything that bolts to the body for a 'ground' did you?
No sir. Half the time for this job is to cut around every clip hole, ground connection, etc. All good.

I'll bet that amp gets quite toasty. Seat heaters can die on that seat and you'd never know!
I’ll probably notice it more now that I’ve insulated that radiator of a transmission hump.

So I just want to make absolutely sure I understand the instructions here before I mess things up even worse!

Is the nut you want me to loosen this one:

AA9048F2-32A2-4105-B5E0-0938446641AA.jpeg

And then I’m trying to locate the control shaft. The shift lever arm is welded to a cylinder that wraps around the nut and then runs towards the passenger side under some foam that I have disturbed yet:

569A3A7C-9B4C-455A-A45C-7B18922F8366.jpeg

Control shaft is under here?

So I just want to make absolutely sure I understand the instructions here before I mess things up even worse!

Is the nut you want me to loosen this one:

View attachment 2604611

And then I’m trying to locate the control shaft. The shift lever arm is welded to a cylinder that wraps around the nut and then runs towards the passenger side under some foam that I have disturbed yet:

View attachment 2604614

Control shaft is under here?

No, this involves the transmission to shift lever linkage, so you'll be going 'Down Under'.

Shift adj1.jpg

Shift adj2.jpg

There’s a nice drainage valley in my driveway that makes it real easy to get to the land down under. But it’s raining here in Tampa, stopping this afternoon. So I should have some news in a few hours.

There’s a nice drainage valley in my driveway that makes it real easy to get to the land down under. But it’s raining here in Tampa, stopping this afternoon. So I should have some news in a few hours.

Excellent. I've several things to do around the property today but will check back later. You may not find anything amiss there but we need to start from a known point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom