Cummins swap time! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driveway got pushed back a few days for contractor reasons, so I began cleaning the x-fer case and transmission little bits here and there over the past few nights. It appears that at some point in Japan the x-fer case was opened up! there is Orange gasket sealant on it instead of the grey Toyota stuff (it was grey, right?) Makes me wonder what I'll find inside of it when I open er' up. Placed an order for some gear oil so I can tear down, rebuild, and refill all at once.

I am getting legitimately upset with the lack of response from Wit's end about my current refund issue. I could be putting that money towards other parts of the swap. A simple response could change my current opinion but I really doubt I'll even get that, after the current amount of time that's elapsed.

Orange FIPG is toyota form in place gasket for transaxle applications. Grey would indicate it had been opened up and resealed with grey RTV. FIPG is the good stuff.

Oh! Well hell that's good to know! Guess it may never have been opened lol.

Hey, sorry if missed the info on that NV4500-HF2AV adapter. I feel like I went through the thread like 3 times. Can you give some more details on it? Or a link to the product? Thank you!

Hey, sorry if missed the info on that NV4500-HF2AV adapter. I feel like I went through the thread like 3 times. Can you give some more details on it? Or a link to the product? Thank you!

Which one? The wit's end one from @NLXTACY that I am still attempting to get my refund back for? The product itself looked great but I can't give info for how it performs as I never received the entire kit and did not install it.

Or the Australian one? They are almost done with them and then when he has them listed for sale and I receive mine I'll do a bit of a product review on them.

Which one? The wit's end one from @NLXTACY that I am still attempting to get my refund back for? The product itself looked great but I can't give info for how it performs as I never received the entire kit and did not install it.

Or the Australian one? They are almost done with them and then when he has them listed for sale and I receive mine I'll do a bit of a product review on them.

Ah gotcha. I read it wrong. I thought you already had the Aussie one. How does it differ from Joey’s?

Ah gotcha. I read it wrong. I thought you already had the Aussie one. How does it differ from Joey’s?

The Aussie one replaces the input shaft inside the transfer case and has the mating splines for the nv4500, where Joey's is a shaft you replace in the nv4500 that mates to the transfer case splines. Since I am already opening up the xfer case I opted to just only do work inside of it, instead of opening both the nv and the hf2a.

If I was not doing the overdrive x-fer case gear, I would have stuck with Joey's kit.

The Aussie one replaces the input shaft inside the transfer case and has the mating splines for the nv4500, where Joey's is a shaft you replace in the nv4500 that mates to the transfer case splines. Since I am already opening up the xfer case I opted to just only do work inside of it, instead of opening both the nv and the hf2a.

If I was not doing the overdrive x-fer case gear, I would have stuck with Joey's kit.

Very interesting. Does this keep the 2wd or 4wd NV4500 mainshaft? I’ll have to look into it. I appreciate the info. Any company name? I liked but couldn’t find anything solid.

Very interesting. Does this keep the 2wd or 4wd NV4500 mainshaft? I’ll have to look into it. I appreciate the info. Any company name? I liked but couldn’t find anything solid.

As far as I know it's only for the 4wd NV4500 shaft. I'm unsure if he has a 2wd shaft option - I can ask! I thought the only difference between the two was the rear housing, the shaft is different also? Mine came out of a 4wd dodge so I never really gave it much thought. He is currently working on his website, my understanding is he's been doing swaps for a long time and is working towards making it his official full time business as it's a pretty popular swap in AUS. the company is called rockbug industries.

If using the Jonesy’s or Wits’ End it will be a modified 2WD shaft installed in the NV4500 with the 4WD tail housing. I have both adapter plates from both companies and without measuring anything they look the same. I got all my NV4500 rebuild parts from All State Gear.

If using the Jonesy’s or Wits’ End it will be a modified 2WD shaft installed in the NV4500 with the 4WD tail housing. I have both adapter plates from both companies and without measuring anything they look the same. I got all my NV4500 rebuild parts from All State Gear.
I have both the original adapter and one of Joeys. The design is largely the same, just wilth some refinement on Joeys version. All State Gear is a great spot to get your rebuild parts from, thats where I got mine also.

My driveway is finally poured, and once it finishes setting I can finally continue working on the cruiser.

In the meantime I have been slowly tinkering away on the transfer case. I got it pulled apart, got everything out of it, and began pulling gears off for replacement. I am pleasantly surprised with the condition of the insides, further strengthens my idea that the PO in japan really did care for it over the 15 years he owned it.

I pulled the two bearings off of the input shaft, and set them aside for the new shaft when it arrives. I got the snap ring off of the output shaft and am mustering up the courage to put the bearing splitter on it and try pressing the upper bearing and gear off so I can install the other Overdrive gear.

I may pick up a parts washer and scrub the hell out of the outside of the case, or I might just put it back as is since it wasn't greasy. we'll see.

And then, the cherry on top that just really finished the day off right. I scored some basically brand new Falken wildpeak 315/75R16's for basically free! dude got hit by a drunk driver and it totaled his truck and he saved them. thankfully he walked away unharmed!! Teaching him how to import for the tires, it is well worth it to me! With those, my gearing should be right where I want it. The steelies they're on don't look half bad either. I'll rock them for a while and then swap the tires over to my Lodio drives.
IMG_20210108_174401.jpg
IMG_20210109_144203.jpg
IMG_20210109_144210.jpg
IMG_20210109_145441.jpg
IMG_20210113_151239_01.jpg

Overdrive gear is on the output shaft, still waiting on the input shaft to arrive. Also did the x-fer case portion of the part time 4wd kit while I was there. That was a pain to do with the case out of the rig. it is NOT easy to break those bolts free that hold the differential in the gear housing! I forgot to take pictures because a friend was over helping me and we got it done quite fast. Whoops.

The 35's are mounted! Well, 3 out of the four anyhow. A valve stem broke when guy was breaking the bead on the old tires. I can't get the 4th one done until my new valve stems arrive. They use very small shanked valve stems! 6mm! I thought about drilling the mounting hole on the wheel wider but it was too close to a curve in the lip so I ordered new stems.

I also bought some 2" wheel spacers just in case the tires were too wide and I kind of wanted to make the wheels sit out further for the flares. I didn't pay attention when I ordered them and they have a hub centric lip on them that stops the spacer from sliding all they way over the hubs on the cruiser. Damnit. I'll probably just go turn that out on a lathe and call it good.
140449651_876389733178494_1243017972233578260_n.jpg
141954250_861373324710637_5341740365521029404_n.jpg

Had some down time today and recently acquired some nice new shocks, so I installed them! all 4 of my old shocks were dead. I found it kind of silly the guy in japan got a set of Rancho's to install on it. swapped my 2" spacers with a cool dude for his 1.5" ones, and when my the new wheel studs arrive I'll install them and the part time kit. Eventually I'll order the springs to match the shocks, and the rest of the lift.

I've been cleaning and fixing misc bits, like trying to fix my mirror flop, slow windows, cleaning heat shields and skid plates, and pulling broken or unused parts out of the rig. Nothing worth taking photos of, just little things.

Also tinkering with how i'll get my exhaust done. the rear dump manifold is not going to work I think, so I found at 90 degree center dump for dirt cheap I think might fit the bill. Whenever it arrives, I'll do a test fit and update! I've decided to remove the toyota clutch booster and master cylinder and swap over to a dodge one as I was told the toyota one isnt quite up to the task of the NV4500 and was causing me a majority of my turbo / exhaust fitment issues.

Since spring is nearing, I really should take advantage of the nicer weather when we have it and work on the interior. I want to do sound deadening and install speakers / sub / amp to replace the old factory speakers. I bought everything needed before the cruiser blew up and was too sad to do it then. We'll see if I can get off my butt and do some of it, lol.

Here's some photos of what's happening. There's my new hf2a kit! Super stoked. I'll try and remember to take a bunch of photos during the shaft install while I re-assemble the hf2a.

New arp studs for my spacers. I don't "need" spacers but I want the extra 1.5 inch to give me a closer fit to my flares. I've always disliked how short the factory wheel studs are and I've never liked how few threads grab on my lugnuts. I'll install those when I do the axle side of the freewheel kit.

And lastly, my new manifold. This should allow me to clear both the clutch master and give me enough room to manage the intake and exhaust. It's manifold number 3, lol. RHD poses some different issues on the Cummins swap.
received_231208535349491.jpeg
IMG_20210303_121346.jpg
IMG_20210303_121745.jpg
IMG_20210303_121727.jpg

Man. This hurts me physically. Of all things, my wife has latched onto an ‘85 Westphalia. So my swap will likely be pushed back a bit. D**m 1FZ won’t die.

Good for you man, this is exciting!

Well, Poopy. The center exit manifold pushed the turbo into the steering shaft. it was so close! if it didn't drop down an inch or so after the 90 degree bend, it would have worked. I was so close! I ordered the adapter to use the factory dodge manifold even though I kind of didn't want to do it. I *could* have flipped my RV manifold and done a top mount but that would have required me to modify my hood and I'm trying keep it mostly factory looking.

Just some misc photos for eye candy. X-fer case guts with the part time kit installed, the nv4500 after a quick clean, and what the new hf shaft looks like all ready to be shoved in the case. I should have my case back shortly and can assemble it to the nv all while taking some nice photos!
IMG_20210226_134657.jpg
IMG_20210226_143604.jpg
received_293497292128223.jpeg

I wish I was better at video. I really want to do a youtube channel for it but I'm no good at recording myself lol.

Finished pressing the arp studs into my spacers. Finally, I feel like I have enough threads grabbing on ALL the lugs! And the 1.5 inch extra offset will greatly help the wheels fill the fender flares whenever I get around to installing them. Now to bolt up the other 3.
IMG_20210317_164324.jpg
IMG_20210317_174547.jpg
IMG_20210317_175542.jpg
IMG_20210317_173647.jpg
IMG_20210317_174754.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom