Loose Steering(especially at higher speeds) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So it sounds like a good course of action is to try some of the simpler adjustments first...and then if need be, pull out the box and send to Redhead.
^^ This is what I would do.

So it sounds like a good course of action is to try some of the simpler adjustments first...and then if need be, pull out the box and send to Redhead.

Absolutely !

@jpoole Has given you a pretty comprehensive list of things to check.
A lot of these are relatively low dollars and are all wear items.
Start with the basics and low dollar items first.
The listed items all contribute to handling. A little wear or play in all these adds up to loose, vague steering.
If all the little things aren't addressed or in good order you could spend that $3k on the steering box and still have loose steering.

Thanks...I am definitely printing this info up and taking to a shop here in Birmingham. The shop it's in right now is more of general repair facility but I have heard there's a good shop in town that does a lot of LC's.
What shop in B’ham?

40mm of play is factory.
40mm of steering wheel play is factory? 20mm in either direction from straight? and under what conditions? - static with engine off, engine on, travelling on pavement with no discernible steer in either direction? Is this in the FSM? sorry for all the Qs here but have smae problem but only with 50mph+ gusting on hwy.
Thx

40mm of steering wheel play is factory? 20mm in either direction from straight? and under what conditions? - static with engine off, engine on, travelling on pavement with no discernible steer in either direction? Is this in the FSM? sorry for all the Qs here but have smae problem but only with 50mph+ gusting on hwy.
Thx
1614803465022.png

Is it just me or does $3000 seem excessive for a steering box and pitman arm? And how would a pitman arm wear out anyway?

All of the above are great advise. Replacing suspension bushings, tie rods and drag link ends will help. The tie rod and drag link ends are fairly easy with a ball joint remover. Also a failed steering stabilizer can allow the wheel to wander a bit and it's fairly easy to replace.

All these suggestions are great and I tried them all. None of them really worked or made any significant difference. At the end of the day you will most likely need a new steering gear box or get a rebuilt one. I ended up putting a new steering gearbox in mine that I purchased through eBay for $1,500 that had the 105 shaft. As for a rebuild I did rock auto and never again. There are other other places that are better and members have had good luck.

So as for the new gear truck drives great no loose steering or play from side to side. Actually feel safe in highway now.

All these suggestions are great and I tried them all. None of them really worked or made any significant difference. At the end of the day you will most likely need a new steering gear box or get a rebuilt one. I ended up putting a new steering gearbox in mine that I purchased through eBay for $1,500 that had the 105 shaft. As for a rebuild I did rock auto and never again. There are other other places that are better and members have had good luck.

So as for the new gear truck drives great no loose steering or play from side to side. Actually feel safe in highway now.
A rebuild kit is about $100 for the steering box. The rebuild kit only addresses leaks. Adjusting the steering box afterwards is still required.
While you're in there, you could do the 105 sector shaft upgrade as well.

Partsouq
  • Sector shaft $248
  • Pitman arm $86
  • Rebuild kit $104

Amayana
  • Sector shaft $225
  • Pitman arm $88
  • Rebuild kit $91

Thanks for the post of FSM freeplay @lumbee1 - a full 40mm seemed loose to me from my 80.

I kept the miles low on my black 80 by driving the LX450 & the 40th AE I had.
IIRC it’s still under 150K / black 80 & with 315’s on OE 16’s I swear I’m far closer to 20mm / 1cm each way before input starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom