A Good Night Sleep In Your Truck ? Mattress,Lighting,Platform Design,CPAP machine and power for it. What else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@sdnative, the interior dimensions are 90" x 50". Pretty large by mat standards, so the megamat duo will fit fine.

This summer I bought (and very shortly after, sold) an AluCab Gen3 RTT. The primary reason for selling was the small interior width. Coming in at around the same 50-51" wide, it was simply impossible for the two of us to get comfortable. No room to place hands anywhere, stretch out, etc.

If you haven't had a tent that narrow before, I suggest trying to come up with a space of that same size, and spending a few nights sleeping in it. Vertical side walls and all.

By comparison, the 60" wide FSR M60 Adventure tent we had earlier was a luxurious palace; huge difference in comfort.

So what did you replace it with or are you done with RTT's?

This summer I bought (and very shortly after, sold) an AluCab Gen3 RTT. The primary reason for selling was the small interior width. Coming in at around the same 50-51" wide, it was simply impossible for the two of us to get comfortable. No room to place hands anywhere, stretch out, etc.

If you haven't had a tent that narrow before, I suggest trying to come up with a space of that same size, and spending a few nights sleeping in it. Vertical side walls and all.

By comparison, the 60" wide FSR M60 Adventure tent we had earlier was a luxurious palace; huge difference in comfort.

Good point and definitely worth considering. My wife and are both average height slim build so I know we'll be comfortable in that space. For reference a full size bed is 54" x 75", so it's narrower still at 50" x 90". I can see how that wouldn't work for some. The length will be good to accommodate some bag space at our feet.

Some of the widest dual sleeping pads like the Megamat Duo 10 LW+ are 52" x 77.6" so if that doesn't work, then the RTT definitely won't work. I'm hoping to get this mat to use in the Superlite. GFT said even though it's wider by 2", the fit should be fine.

There's wider wedge models on the market like the Roofnest Falcon XL at 58"x 88" (interior). All a trade however as I actually want a narrower and slimmer RTT with hopes that it'll have less frontal area to reduce noise, drag, and weight. The 3 major things I didn't like in my previous RTT.

Good point and definitely worth considering. My wife and are both average height slim build so I know we'll be comfortable in that space. For reference a full size bed is 54" x 75", so it's narrower still at 50" x 90". I can see how that wouldn't work for some. The length will be good to accommodate some bag space at our feet.

Some of the widest dual sleeping pads like the Megamat Duo 10 LW+ are 52" x 77.6" so if that doesn't work, then the RTT definitely won't work. I'm hoping to get this mat to use in the Superlite. GFT said even though it's wider by 2", the fit should be fine.

There's wider wedge models on the market like the Roofnest Falcon XL at 58"x 88" (interior). All a trade however as I actually want a narrower and slimmer RTT with hopes that it'll have less frontal area to reduce noise, drag, and weight. The 3 major things I didn't like in my previous RTT.
Friends don't let friends buy roofnest. They just ripped off an ikamper design.

Friends don't let friends buy roofnest. They just ripped off an ikamper design.

Probably true. You can add CVT and probably some others in as there's multiple variants of what are essentially rebranded mass produced tents.

overlanding-europa-vanlife-roadtrip-wildcamping.jpg

There's a time and place for RTTs, ground tents, campers, etc. Sleeping inside an SUV just seems like a worst of all worlds option. No space, no moisture management, no privacy. Being able to load the Superlite on and off so easily really seems like an ideal solution.

Then let us sharpens your perpective, our needs and habits!

Privacy:
I have tinted windows. It is not possible to see inside at day. In my over 360 nights sleeping inside, I did always stay wild. So the privacy thing dont count so much one my travels.
But from time to time we also did spend a night in a city, if we was dancing or on a party. With an towel between both frontseats nobody is able to see inside.

For crowded campsites it is probably not the perfect setup, but you can draw/undraw inside. If you feel uncomfortable you can use too a awning with side and front option:

20121030_112333.jpg
20121030_112352.jpg

But at 2020 we did decide to travel in the future without roof rack and awning, because we did rarely use it (1x complete with front and sides, 20x with top and one side).

No living Space
Space for sleeping is there, living has to happens outside. For a movie day because of rain it is ok too in the cruiser (guess more than in a RTT or tent). The Parkheating Device gives a good temperature in cold night. The Aircon helps to get your stuff dry when you did arrive wet from outside.

Most ways to camp from ground tent, to RTT, to sleeping inside has limitations. Where can you have sex with your wife? The limitations are there on all solutions, too in a RTT are the positions very limited.

For shure, you have more overlanding comfort (specially together with your wife) with such of that:

VW-T6-1-California-Beach-Camper-2020--169FullWidth-e9f77d45-1638240.jpg

But it is not so capable during offroad passages, not the same comfort for extended driving. For XXX we did also use the surrounding nature.

No loading place / luggage car

All who plan to sleep inside, they have to plan very detailed what they bring to their journey. These 60l compressor fridges dont will work with that plan. I have a tiny 15l Engel fridge. During the transafrica an additional 15l Engel fridge as a freezer. They fit below the sleeping plattform. A 15l Fridge is ok for Butter, Meat, Sausage, Cheese, Salmon, ham, milk, Beer. Other stuff like eggs, vegetables, potatoes or salad dont had to be cooled.

Any gear has to be prooved for package size and comfort. Table/Chairs are very deeply researched to get the most comfort with less used space. Folding bowl, ultra lightweight travel towels - we did use them.

I did have a 85l Water tank built in, for washing, drinking, even a hot shower (if the car engine is running). Everything is done for get "more days" self sufficent life bevore we had to restock food/water/fuel. Maybe it helps to watch my list of the most important overlanding gear to see what was helpful.

no moisture management
Let described you have no issues, when using windows soxx and unsing the chimney effect together with a opened roof window. You dont have everything wet, when sleeping with 2 Persons.

If you had to close the windows all night because of noise at sample, your Aircon would dry everything inside of 15 mins. Did I mention the park heating device, who helps to bring comfort on colder nights?

These windows soxx are thinner than your tent walls, gives you too the feeling of sleeping inside of the nature. But you can regulate the amount of noise.

Conclusion
What was not queried has to be named too: you can do stealth camping. I did spent severall night in the middle of a city.. No one even think that we was sleeping inside...

In my eyes a RTT or Groundtent is ok for weekenders, for holiday trips - but has his comfort limitations for travelling extended time. But maybe you can bring newer perpectives and experiences for all readers here? Changing focus helps always - so im courious too!

I dont try to bull**** here, i did spend over 360 nights inside, did travel over 68350 Miles (110`000 km) that way. There is not the "perfect solution" out there. But you can find that solution who fits your needs and travel habits at best... Any way has his pro/cons - to name them detailed like above - helps to think through in detail, helps to get the best compromise between our individual sleeping/packing/travelling needs.

Surfy

Last edited:
I dont try to bulls*** here, i did spend over 360 nights inside, did travel over 68350 Miles (110`000 km) that way. There is not the "perfect solution" out there. But you can find that solution who fits your needs and travel habits at best... Any way has his pro/cons - to name them detailed like above - helps to think through in detail, helps to get the best compromise between our individual sleeping/packing/travelling needs.

Surfy

I love going backpacking. When I take my truck, why not be comfortable? 95-liter two compartment fridge/freezer, cold champagne, good food, 300 pounds of dog, and our own personal cabana.

ultimate-ranger_h.jpg

Since we're talking comfort, a heated blanket like this is nice to pre-heat your sleeping bag or take the edge off. I have a similar one with a 30-45 minute timer so it shuts off automatically if you fall asleep. I run it off of my Goal Zero 400 along with my cooler. And yes, I'm an old man and something like this sure is nice!

Amazon product ASIN B017AULI3A

Last edited:
Not in this case?

Sorry. I just came across this and made the connection here...

View attachment 2564327

I really like the look and stance of your truck. Nice work.

Ha, I was just driving when Stuart jumped out to snap that one. We were out scouting a location for Kevin's (in the backseat there) birthday dinner, that I catered for everyone.

Note that sleeping on top of drawers and the folded second row drastically reduced head room. Depending on your needs for the second row you can remove it and install resistors into the airbag plugs. This gives a mostly flat floor that is roughly 6’5 front to back and all the headroom you could ever need. Toss a megamat in there.. great, roomy sleeping area.
Agreed but removing the second row is also a hassle. I did it anyway and tried the Hest sleep system from REI along with a custom platform to level the bed. Like the platform but the Hest no good for side sleepers so I returned & ordered a custom Tochta Utopia 10” tall RV mattress. Will post if it is an answer.

60B7AA14-6B76-42DC-9CBA-D16B15E3C75B.jpeg

62AB8AC6-FD91-4057-8DA6-26F583BEDA8E.jpeg

6C5BEB74-DCAD-4593-A555-B98AD329BA74.jpeg

15E4F0FF-4C5B-4307-A745-E14DB4D61276.jpeg

But how did the hunt go?

One of our worst years for ducks but still great times hanging out. I do think camping is better in some ways than renting cabins. I miss the fellowship once we turn in for the night

Agreed, short of Early Teal it was a crap season overall. We covered Texas and Arkansas and dare I say Stuttgart was worse than down here on the coast?! Looking forward to next year but I sure hope that we get some cooler weather sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom