Fj62 Desmog Kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lc Fam! After disabling the smog system on my 88 Fj62 using the "BB" method, Im confident that the benifits are well worth the effort. My next stop is to remove the smog system all together. In the las week, I came across a site selling a complete desmog kit. Now that im circling back, I cant find the site again. Any suggestions?

Lc Fam! After disabling the smog system on my 88 Fj62 using the "BB" method, Im confident that the benifits are well worth the effort. My next stop is to remove the smog system all together. In the las week, I came across a site selling a complete desmog kit. Now that im circling back, I cant find the site again. Any suggestions?
Hi, I purchased the kit here: Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 & FJ80 3FE EGR & Smog Pump Delete Kit Desmog - https://lermscustoms.com/collections/toyota-landcruiser/products/egr-smog-pump-delete-kit-toyota-landcruiser-tacoma-4-runner-t100-fj80-fj62-3fe

Shipping was not quick, and a few MUD members had problems receiving parts from this vendor. I didn't. Shipping took a few weeks, but everything arrived. I had already partially de-smogged my '62, so I didn't need the new belt that the kit came with, so I'll likely sell it.

There may be vendors on this site who offer the kit, and frankly, I would go with them, if available.

I'm in KY. We don't have yearly enviro. tests. Double check with your locale. As long as you don't have required inspections, and as long as you don't plan to see you truck to a buyer out west... go for it.

My Cruiser has been running beautifully after the de-smog, and after an engine overhaul. MPG remain unimpressive (I'm getting a combined 12), but I knew that going in to this madness :)

Removing smog equipment is illegal
Yeah so is collecting your own rainwater. We own the vehicles; we can do WTF we want to them. Government overreach be damned.

Removing smog equipment is illegal
I'll take my chances. HA! But in all seriousness, it is actually not illegal. All that is required by an individual is to be responsible for complying with state level regulations. Certain States require emissions certification, California for example. My state has ZERO regulations in this regard. My understanding is that a state licenced mechanic shop is prohibited from removing this type of system, much like a state licensed muffler shop is prohibited from removing catalytic converters. I am neither, therefore there are no regulations governing what I can and can not do in this case.

More to your point, regardless of legality, I propose the more important factor in cases like this is personal responsibility. It stands to reason that a smog system was put in place for good reason. And in 1988, this system was considered effective. This technology, however, was not advanced nearly enough to actually reduce emissions long term. In short, the system will post lower emission values when tested in a controlled environment. The faulty logic is that MPG is meaningfully decreased, meaning more fuel is being burned to travel the same distance. In addition, the technical components on these vehicles have not aged well. I'm sure in 1988, my smog system operated much better than it does today. In the case of the FJ62, my evaluation is that the smog system in a zero sum game in 2021......at best. More likely, the antique smog system equates to higher emission levels. Several threads on this matter confirm that a desmogged FJ62 in 2021, will yield the same testing results as an FJ62 with the factory smog system in place.

Hi, I purchased the kit here: Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 & FJ80 3FE EGR & Smog Pump Delete Kit Desmog - https://lermscustoms.com/collections/toyota-landcruiser/products/egr-smog-pump-delete-kit-toyota-landcruiser-tacoma-4-runner-t100-fj80-fj62-3fe

Shipping was not quick, and a few MUD members had problems receiving parts from this vendor. I didn't. Shipping took a few weeks, but everything arrived. I had already partially de-smogged my '62, so I didn't need the new belt that the kit came with, so I'll likely sell it.

There may be vendors on this site who offer the kit, and frankly, I would go with them, if available.

I'm in KY. We don't have yearly enviro. tests. Double check with your locale. As long as you don't have required inspections, and as long as you don't plan to see you truck to a buyer out west... go for it.

My Cruiser has been running beautifully after the de-smog, and after an engine overhaul. MPG remain unimpressive (I'm getting a combined 12), but I knew that going in to this madness :)
you nailed it! This was the kit I have been trying to find again. Just ordered it.

Yeah so is collecting your own rainwater. We own the vehicles; we can do WTF we want to them. Government overreach be damned.
F'n'A! Preach it, brother.

I’ve reported this thread to the EPA
I've got a lot of Canadian friends (yes, I know that my buds are only a small sample of the wider population), but all of them have a biting and sometimes cynical sense of humor.; and they are chilled at the same time. I'm hoping that your post is reflective of the Canadians that I know. If not... dang, it's time to give up that lovely Cruiser to save the planet.

I've got a lot of Canadian friends (yes, I know that my buds are only a small sample of the wider population), but all of them have a biting and sometimes cynical sense of humor.; and they are chilled at the same time. I'm hoping that your post is reflective of the Canadians that I know. If not... dang, it's time to give up that lovely Cruiser to save the planet.
My thoughts too. If he's being sarcastic, well played. If not, then, well, we all know what to think.

Absolutely! I'm hoping for a snarky reply and a good laugh, but these days, I'm just about out of hopium... at least my truck is running like a top!

P.S. My daughter likes Stitch too.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this for some time now. Do you have to adjust timing after doing this? Any other vendor selling? Hearing those issues completely turned me off from that link about.

Been thinking about this for some time now. Do you have to adjust timing after doing this?
I will defer to @Spook50 on this, but I can say that I didn't adjust my timing. My truck has been running beautifully since the full de-smog. If you haven't, check out his desmog write. Excellent! With tons of pics and step-by-step directions.

But, as background, I had my engine out for a full refresh (found badly worn timing gear and bearings) and did valve adjustments, full gasket replacements, etc. Amazingly, it was running fine before all that. But the combo of the full desmog and sorting out some developing problems made my truck pull like it never has before.

One other thing. When I first started up the '62, my idle was higher than normal, which panicked me a little. But, after checking here, it seems that it takes the ecu a bit to adjust to the desmog. After a short drive, idle went back to 650, and rpms throughout the gears went back to normal too.

And one last thing. I left my PCV valve (also new with a grommet) intact.

More info. than you asked for :) Hope that it helps.

I will defer to @Spook50 on this, but I can say that I didn't adjust my timing. My truck has been running beautifully since the full de-smog. If you haven't, check out his desmog write. Excellent! With tons of pics and step-by-step directions.

But, as background, I had my engine out for a full refresh (found badly worn timing gear and bearings) and did valve adjustments, full gasket replacements, etc. Amazingly, it was running fine before all that. But the combo of the full desmog and sorting out some developing problems made my truck pull like it never has before.

One other thing. When I first started up the '62, my idle was higher than normal, which panicked me a little. But, after checking here, it seems that it takes the ecu a bit to adjust to the desmog. After a short drive, idle went back to 650, and rpms throughout the gears went back to normal too.

And one last thing. I left my PCV valve (also new with a grommet) intact.

More info. than you asked for :) Hope that it helps.
Thank you sir much appreciate it.

I’ve read all posts... I want to order the kit, is there that ,ugh of a benefit?

there are no inspections in Florida, so that makes it a no brainer.

please advise..

I’ve read all posts... I want to order the kit, is there that ,ugh of a benefit?

there are no inspections in Florida, so that makes it a no brainer.

please advise..
Hi, @FJ62 Jose. First, my smog pump gave up the ghost. This led me to the initial partial desmog (did a bypass of the smog pump). As far as I know, these pumps are long gone, and putting another 30 something year old pump on my '62, just didn't make sense. We don't have inspections here in KY either (and my truck is considered an "antique" vehicle). The partial desmog did make my engine run much better, and yes, the ecu did compensate for it (if you search other threads here, you'll find that this is normal). I drove it like that for about two years. When I decided to give my engine an overhaul, it seemed like a good time to do the full desmog. The refreshed engine + full desmog produced a great running '62. I mean better than ever... at least for me. I've owned the truck going on 7 years.

After all the reent work that I put into my truck the ecu acted as it did when I first bypassed the smog pump (I'm guessing another reset... I didn't check for any codes, but observed higher rmps at idle, etc. This all self-corrected after a short drive).

Where mileage is concerned, I get a combined 12mpg. I'll be interested to see what my highway mileage is when I take a road trip in the next month of two.

As I noted above, as long as you aren't planning on selling your truck, I don't see a downside to desmogging it. It will run better, and you'll free up tons of room in your engine bay. When I save up money, I'm going for a second battery, new bumpers, fog lights and a winch!

Hope that this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom