toothaker1219's GX470 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

toothaker1219

SILVER Star
Threads
So I figured it was about time to update my build thread here. Not sure why but when I began this build I started the thread under a different account. That thread can be found here. Vlad brought up in the GXOR Facebook page that we should create and update our threads and being that I was brought up in the old pirate4x4 days I felt that was a great idea. So here we go, catching things up from my last post in 2018.

Went to my very first Appalachian Toyota Roundup. Had a blast wheeling with friends and making new ones in the process.

Photo Sep 01, 17 22 25.jpg

Photo Sep 01, 17 04 00.jpg

Fast forward a few months to the start of 2019. This is when the real modifications began thanks to a new job.

Started with the LFD cross bars that retained the factory rails to give me the most simple wat to mound a RTT.

Photo Feb 21, 17 12 29.jpg

Followed that with the purchase of the Coastal Offroad front bumper DIY kit. The only deal breaker I had in buying a front bumper was that I wanted full hoops over the head lights and grill. At the time only SSO and Coastal offered that option. I had it welded together by my friend Brad who I'm sure is on here somewhere...

Photo Feb 21, 15 45 33.jpg

Photo Feb 23, 09 02 24.jpg

While the bumper was being built my skid plated showed up from Rocksteady. 1/4 inch aluminum with a steel cross member. Installiation wasnt bad, but the cross member was TIGHT between the frame rails and required some persuasion with a BFH.

Photo Feb 25, 16 22 55.jpg

Photo Feb 25, 16 23 03.jpg

I will say that if I did it over I would get steel skids. My wheeling habits have not changed much over the years and I do abuse my trucks.

I followed up the skids with some custom sliders from Brad and picked up my first RTT from CVT.

Photo Mar 30, 17 44 20.jpg

Photo Mar 31, 15 02 48.jpg

Picked up a used Mt. St. Helens from the used/demo/trade in section of CVTs website. Was in great condition and only $900.

Photo Mar 02, 11 27 45.jpg

Picked up some goodies from Kyle at TOO. The Weekend Warrior recovery kit in the GXOR colors.

Photo Apr 19, 16 24 20.jpg

Now I was racing to prep from my first log distance trip ever. Over the next 6 weeks I would depart from Alabama towards Ouray Colorado for FJ Summit. I would leave Ouray and head south to go to work for my two week hitch and then off to Huntingdon, PA for the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival.

The first step in that process was me and two friends making an attempt at welding together my Coastal Offroad rear bumper. This was interesting as I had not done much welding since high school welding class 8 years prior. This was all done the day before I left for Colorado.

Photo Jul 12, 16 43 21.jpg

Photo Jul 12, 21 46 05.jpg

The rear bumper fell under the "good enough" or "ehh that will do" category of modifications for the time being.

Photo Jul 13, 18 30 17.jpg

And then I promptly fell in love with the mid west.

Photo Jul 20, 12 50 06.jpg

It was now time to coat the bumpers in something that held up better than spray paint. I decided to go with Raptor Liner. During this process we also took the time to clean up and re weld some areas on the rear bumper that had been product of my rushing to finish it for the Ouray trip. I didn't take any photos of this process except one. But it shows that you can fit two complete Coastal bumpers in the back of a GX470.

unnamed.jpg

Photo Oct 05, 20 41 14.jpg

Photo Oct 05, 20 41 08.jpg

Photo Oct 05, 20 41 40.jpg

Photo Oct 07, 09 22 42.jpg

Now enter Derrick. Derrick is the founder of Southern Xpeditions. Southern Xpeditions is a veteran founded company whos main goal is to give back to our nations veterans. I've known Derrick since 2013 when we worked together at a local gun shop. Now years later our hobbies and his now business had us crossing paths again. He started helping me with the raptor liner project and has since been a key part in many more projects, and currently I am proud to say I have been working for him at SX for the last year, starting with assisting in social media and now in the capacity of Sponsorship Coordinator. But I digress.

Derrick is a much better welder than I. That made the body mount chop very easy, well for me at least.

Photo Feb 28, 11 14 05.jpg

A few weeks later we set out to do a complete front end refresh on the GX:

Dobinson UCAs
OEM LCAs
OEM Tie-rods
CV Axle Rebuild with OEM boots
OEM Steering Rack Boots
Sway Bar Links

And also we did the Dobinson rear control arms.

Photo Apr 18, 12 02 40.jpg

Photo Apr 24, 11 13 44 (1).jpg

Photo Apr 24, 12 38 26.jpg

And I went back to my high school days and painted the grill.

Photo Apr 25, 13 18 42.jpg

Are your sliders weld on or bolt on?
How easy was the bumper assembly (for a novice)? I'm looking to get one too but I have never welded in my life...

Next up on the list was a Dobinson snorkel. Ill admit I cheated on this install as back when I bought the wheels and tires from Greg he also gave me his fender that was cut for a Dobinson snorkel, as he has since moved to long travel fiberglass fenders. And we both have the same color GX, so it was as simple as unbolt the old and bolt in the new. We did use riv-nuts in place of pop rivets on the pillar so the whole setup could be unbolted. Again, I was bad at documenting this process.

We also removed the OEM roof rack in preparation for something I had being delivered in the next few weeks.

Photo Jun 06, 17 02 24.jpg

Photo Jun 08, 12 10 03.jpg

Are your sliders weld on or bolt on?
How easy was the bumper assembly (for a novice)? I'm looking to get one too but I have never welded in my life...
They are weld on sliders.

For the bumpers, if you have decent welding experience, and some concept of fab work they really are pretty easy. Its just a giant metal puzzle. The instructions were decent and helped a lot.

While I do love the look of a rack-less GX I need the utility space. Insert the LDF GX470 Roof Rack. Installation is super easy. Loosely bolt on the outer rails and then add the inner cross bars. I also took this time to add an Overland Solar 120w panel and controller. And I finally finished the Padholder mount for my iPad.

Photo Jun 13, 13 11 56.jpg

Photo Jun 13, 15 29 28.jpg

Photo Jun 17, 14 08 13.jpg

Photo Jun 22, 15 04 31.jpg

Photo Jun 13, 18 01 16.jpg

A year has passed and it was time to head back to Ouray. I sit here as I type this and I cannot wait to get back there for a third time. For this trip (2020) I stole Derricks CVT trailer so I could set up a base camp and not have to break down my RTT each morning and set it back up every night.

Photo Jul 11, 18 49 26.jpg

Photo Jul 14, 12 45 48.jpg

The 2020 trip came with a few trail and camp fixes. I noticed a odd noise from the front suspension while heading up Sidney Basin. Come to find out my drivers side UCA bolt was loose. Easy fix. The next day while somewhere on Imogene the passenger side sway bar ling came loose from the spindle. The link fell and knocked off the outer CV boot clamp. This was a bit more involved. Thankfully the boot wasn't torn. I keep large hose clamps that are the perfect size for the DV boot. I was able to buy some brake cleaner and a tube of grease from the one local mechanic shop and get everything back together at camp.

Photo Jul 15, 17 39 37.jpg

Photo Jul 15, 17 03 39.jpg

Once back from Ouray I had a few odd jobs to do to the GX before ATR 2020. I installed the height control replacement bezel from Steve at SBE Precision. I haven't installed dual batteries yet but I want to ditch the height control switch and I know this will be useful in the future.

Photo Jul 18, 20 40 15.jpg

Photo Jul 18, 20 40 55.jpg

Next I found a convenient place to store my Hill People Gear OG Kit Bag. This thing is flat out amazing for hiking. Holds all my emergency gear and the back pouch is designed for a handgun. Its a must have for the avid hiker. It come with some extra straps to mount it to a full hiking back pack but I used those to mount it to the head rest posts on the back of the front passenger seat.

Photo Jul 19, 15 14 38.jpg

Now I believe this is the point where I reached peak overlander status. I decided to remove my 2nd row seats, move the fridge up and add a specific spot for the dog. Also pictured is the Dobinson drawers I installed after the November 2019 Black Friday sale. As you can tell I still am bad a documenting installation projects.

Photo Jul 19, 16 59 53.jpg

Photo Sep 02, 16 50 21.jpg

ATR 2020 got a little rowdy. At this point my GX was still open/open, so no lockers. This meant that the solution to most of my traction problems is either more skinny pedal or the winch. Well half way up trail 35 at Windrock I made the wrong choice between the two and blew the rear ring and pinion. And this was on day 1. So I limped the truck to camp and made a huge order with Nitro Gears and Diamond Axle. That's right, it was time for a 9.5 swap. Still had a blast riding in the back seat of Derrick Tacoma though...

Photo Sep 07, 12 48 37.jpg

IMG-9203.jpg

Last edited:
14 weeks later I finally had all the parts to fix the GX. This project couldn't have been done with out help from Derrick and our friends over at Yotamafia. Through Southern Xpeditions we have made a great working relationship and friendship with Breland the found of YM. He let us come down and use his shop for the axle swap.

Diamond 9.5 housing for GX/4runner/FJC
Nitro Complete 9.5 3rd with 4.88s and ARB locker
Nitro Complete front clamshell with 4.88s and ARB locker
Nitro Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
OEM FJC rear axle bearing kit
OEM parking break assembly

Photo Nov 20, 13 17 13.jpg

Photo Nov 26, 19 00 16.jpg

Photo Dec 28, 15 35 00.jpg

Photo Dec 28, 15 45 52.jpg

Photo Dec 28, 17 43 43.jpg

So this post should catch me up to the current status of the GX. After the axle swap was done I decided to tackle some cosmetic mods. I ordered the Depot headlights from eBay to swap out my yellow OEM headlights. I also ordered the black Prado Window trim, but I am saving that install for another day.

Photo Jan 21, 13 04 42.jpg

Lastly, as of 2/28/2021 my most recent install, yet again with poor photo documentation, was an ARB twin compressor using a mount from Instagram user @bandiworld.us

63521289741--50ECCD39-B101-46E9-9DE0-77C01D013C54.jpg

IMG-9303.jpg

How much were the skids? I tried calling these guys but no answer and the website is not showing any pricing. I'm looking at the options and looks like so far ASFIR is the ones I'd get but I haven't gathered all of my options yet.

How much were the skids? I tried calling these guys but no answer and the website is not showing any pricing. I'm looking at the options and looks like so far ASFIR is the ones I'd get but I haven't gathered all of my options yet.
I paid $795 shipped for mine. They were running some deal at the time of my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom