Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve always wanted to move my gas tank under the body and behind the rear axle...

I turtle out on my gas tank. I’ve gotten it bent up just about right now I barley get hung up on it anymore though... 😂
One thing to note. On my white Turbo80. I do have an LRA Aux 24gallon tank. I've already dented it in pretty damn good. I don't like how low it sits in the spare tire spot for HARD wheeling. Medium trails is fine but I tagged it reallllly good only once when I took the hardest line. If I were to do it again or ever have time, I would plate that location.

I still don't like that spot since it puts all the weight in the back and not distributed.

I'm going to stop myself and not go to far to the extreme ends where it reaches buggy territory. I think I'm settled to leave it 6", 39s, armored on factory power and drive train using marlin low range 3.11s and 5.29s. I can take it to that extreme but it will take a lot of work, time and money.

I'll play with it as is and will keep my eye open for another 1st gen 4Runner to build a dedicated crawler. I've had 2 in the past and they always have a sweet spot in my heart. Edit: That's only after my kids out grow wheeling with me.

I was reading your signature too Redgrrr. There's nothing special about 80 front locker motor. They are standard toyota 8" diff locker motors. You can find one off a 4runner, pickup, FJC, Taco, etc. if you're looking for a replacement.

Last edited:
One thing to note. On my white Turbo80. I do have an LRA Aux 24gallon tank. I've already dented it in pretty damn good. I don't like how low it sits in the spare tire spot for HARD wheeling. Medium trails is fine but I tagged it reallllly good only once when I took the hardest line. If I were to do it again or ever have time, I would plate that location.

I still don't like that spot since it puts all the weight in the back and not distributed.

I'm going to stop myself and not go to far to the extreme ends where it reaches buggy territory. I think I'm settled to leave it 6", 39s, armored on factory power and drive train using marlin low range 3.11s and 5.29s. I can take it to that extreme but it will take a lot of work, time and money.

I'll play with it as is and will keep my eye open for another 1st gen 4Runner to build a dedicated crawler. I've had 2 in the past and they always have a sweet spot in my heart. Edit: That's only after my kids out grow wheeling with me.

I was reading your signature too Redgrrr. There's nothing special about 80 front locker motor. They are standard toyota 8" diff locker motors. You can find one off a 4runner, pickup, FJC, Taco, etc. if you're looking for a replacement.

I think my 80 needs more weight behind the rear axle. It’s way light back there going at speed. I’d be happy with 20gallon max fuel tank maybe even less if it tucked up tighter. Right now it’s crushed up and can only put in about 16-18 gallons when the gas light comes on. So I’m guessing there is still 2-4 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on. But our trails here in South Dakota are 20-40 min out my front door. You can wheel all day and only burn half a tank.

37” tires 5:29s and marlin low range gears have been about perfect for me.

I have a fj cruiser motor in there now to replace my original 80 series one that was fulll of water and just done.

I've got the 24 gallon LRA aux tank also and have managed to get a fair size dent that I can only attribute it to smacking a ledge. On a trip with a group into the Doll House in the Maze District in Utah, quite overloaded with RTT, awning & camping gear, not to mention my big-ass Kaymar bumper, I was dragging butt more than I liked, :rolleyes: so it had to have been on that trip and just went unnoticed at the time. Yep, a skid plate would be a smart thing to have, since it's so exposed for departures. But, for weight distribution, yes, its got the leverage - being out past the axle. Much like a winch on the front end. I'm sure that was the biggest contributer to my butt dragging problem on the Maze trip. Since then I've installed air bags, which were necessary, when adding the tongue weight of a squaredrop trailer. I don't recommend air bags for hard wheeling, though. Pretty sure they'd handicapp the articulation that you want for that kind of terrain.

I've got the 24 gallon LRA aux tank also and have managed to get a fair size dent that I can only attribute it to smacking a ledge. On a trip with a group into the Doll House in the Maze District in Utah, quite overloaded with RTT, awning & camping gear, not to mention my big-ass Kaymar bumper, I was dragging butt more than I liked, :rolleyes: so it had to have been on that trip and just went unnoticed at the time. Yep, a skid plate would be a smart thing to have, since it's so exposed for departures. But, for weight distribution, yes, its got the leverage - being out past the axle. Much like a winch on the front end. I'm sure that was the biggest contributer to my butt dragging problem on the Maze trip. Since then I've installed air bags, which were necessary, when adding the tongue weight of a squaredrop trailer. I don't recommend air bags for hard wheeling, though. Pretty sure they'd handicapp the articulation that you want for that kind of terrain.
My turbo80 runs bags and I air all the way down to 5psi (factory spec) when wheeling and it does limit flex a bit. My 80 is setup for more expediton then hard core crawler.

Ive done extremely hard lines on it but regret it every time since thats not what its built for.

I am not doing airbags for this build. I want every mm of flex I can get out of it. This is a very different build and different purpose.

Update. I modded the 4x4labs tire carrier and have 39 spare and a triple can gas carrier.

I think there are very few 80s that run tires this big and even have it mounted on a swing out.

Heres some spare tire and bumper height data for those interested.

Turbo80 on OME Js and 35s.
Bottom of tire to floor 32.5".
Bottom of bumper 22.25"

Crawler80 on Tourflex 4 and 39s
Bottom of tire to floor 35.25".
Bottom bumper 26.5"

I forgot to take a measurement of my 37s so using math it'll probably be in the middle of the above data.

20210225_130415.jpg

Not related to my build. I helped a buddy pickup a 1st gen Tundy Double Cab last night. He borrowed me and my trailer to grab it.

It's going to be a fuuuuullll size rock crawler. He's bobbing it and building a flat bed. Removing factory axles and cutting it all out. Using ford 9.5 axles, ARB f&r lockers, 5.13s and 4linking. Keeping the 2uz and auto and adding marlin rf1a 4.7 gear and adapter. He'll be at 200-1 with his ratio. I thought the 80s was big.
But damn he will do Rubicon Fordyce and JV. Hes selling his fully 4linked WJ build.

And this weekend I'm working on fender trimming and hopefully welding in hydro and hooking it up.

Its in seriooooouuuusssss need of hydro with 39s. 37s was a pain but she ain't happy with 39s.

So far im really happy with going 39s. Not to loud on the street and they roll smooth. No beads or weights. The extra approach and departure angle is night and day. Diff is tiny bit higher too. I'm actually thinking of not going 6inch lift and maybe keeping it 4s.

I do need to buy heavy Dobi 4s tho and cancel my Dobi 6s.

However having that extra 2 inch would be really nice as long as I keep it crawling. Would give me more belly clearance.
The extra belly clearance is nice, but at sacrifice of road manners- more oversteer on road; and COG- top heavy off road. I ran a 6" lift for 15 years thru the progression of 35s, 37s, 39.5s, 40s, and 42s. Once I went past 37's I felt like my biggest handicap was just being too tall and top heavy to be comfortable on challenging obstacles. I just dropped down to about 3" but haven't gotten a chance to wheel it being winter.

Keep in mind if you are trying to somewhat mimic Broski's build, I believe he has 2.5"vt front springs w/1" spacer and 1" tough dog rear springs with a 1" spacer. So 3" front and 2" rear. Is that right @Broski ? I have 3.5"vt front springs and 2" tjm rear springs.

The extra belly clearance is nice, but at sacrifice of road manners- more oversteer on road; and COG- top heavy off road. I ran a 6" lift for 15 years thru the progression of 35s, 37s, 39.5s, 40s, and 42s. Once I went past 37's I felt like my biggest handicap was just being too tall and top heavy to be comfortable on challenging obstacles. I just dropped down to about 3" but haven't gotten a chance to wheel it being winter.

Keep in mind if you are trying to somewhat mimic Broski's build, I believe he has 2.5"vt front springs w/1" spacer and 1" tough dog rear springs with a 1" spacer. So 3" front and 2" rear. Is that right @Broski ? I have 3.5"vt front springs and 2" tjm rear springs.
Currently I am running Trail Tailor Tourflex 2F coils with no spacers in the rear. I am getting 3" of lift from them.
In the front I have Dobinson C97146vt with no spacers. I am getting 31/4" lift with these springs.
When I first got the 39s I was running slinky mediums with a 1" spacer for about 4" of lift in the front.
And a hole lot of cutting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice trim work there, but if you want less the a 3.5" bumpstop back there with more uptravel then you will need to pie cut much deeper into the inner tub.
This, what Gary said or maybe the 6" lift kit.

That's impressive. My 40" Nittos on racelines tip the scales at 145 per corner.
You guys can't be serious o_O I'd have to call 911 if I got a flat. I might be able to pick it up, but I'd have no accuracy to get it on the studs:bang:

old mechanic trick my buddy taught me. Use a big f.....n pry bar as the leverage to lift. The other hand guides it on. I always carry a 3 foot pry bar in the truck. Multi purpose tool.

While that works for mounting it on axle.

I hurt my back lifting that 39 inch monster onto the studs on the 4x4labs swing out. 125 is heavy but what makes it worst is the giant size and its awkward to hold. I can barely get my arms around it.

I'm actually second guessing myself and not carrying a spare anymore. I always bring a flat kit and a can of foam slime. However, my luck with tires is not so good lately. I've shredded 4 tires thus far in the past 3 years. Back of my head tells me I need a spare cause all 4 times a flat kit would not have fixed it. that weight and departure angle has me concerned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom