Noob attempt to replace front rotors pads and bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you so much Flintknapper for digging up the cone washer part number. What is the part number for those 6 nuts that hold the flange on? I think FSM shows them as non-reusable.

Nut is......90170-10039

Lock Washer.......90201-10075

There's always this site to help. (Some ISP's are blocking the image though)

Should look like this (and you can click on the component's PN in the image to jump to the actual PN.
1613633566730.png

this is how far I get after 3 hrs LOL

Now I need a trick to separate the rotors from the hub? I don't want to hammer the wrong part and busted the hub?

any youtube trick recommendation? thank you

9d4NwZC[1].png

KCawS0Z[1].png

yPgI2KO[1].jpg

let me try that. I mount the hub on the wheel and hammer the rotor with a long pipe. but no go still.

Let me try stack of wood

0ByMyjK[1].png

Victory 💪 on separating disc to the hub

Only defeated by stuck brake pads pin 😢

Maybe time for new caliper? My truck is super rusty

16144827467085090417327630818584.jpg

Victory 💪 on separating disc to the hub

Only defeated by stuck brake pads pin 😢

Maybe time for new caliper? My truck is super rusty

View attachment 2598622

You can drift those pins out with a punch....but yes, I'd be considering some re-manufactured calipers if all of them look like that one. I rebuilt mine....but I started with something not quite so degraded.

Stay after it.

Completed.jpg

Rock auto reman ok?
Is that assembly complete just hook the brake line or do I need some piston and rubber seal or something?

I always order not enough items 😝

Dumb question - can you buy the bearings pre-pressed? In that video series if I recall correctly, he didn't press the bearings and just omitted it.

I have a small tabletop hydraulic press - 6600lbs for smaller fabrication. Not sure if that's enough weight to give em a proper pack pack packeroo

You don't need a press, you can just hit the races out with a brass drift. I prefer to cut the old race and use it to reinstall the races.
Thanks, good to know. Dude's videos are great. Although, everyone's saying how meticulous he is, but when he skipped that part - I was like, uhhhhhhh bruh

Is it easy to install the new one using the old?
I Need youtube for reference 😝
Yes, you need to make a relief cut in the old race so it doesn't get stuck when you use it to tap the new one in. IMO removal is more tricky than install, take your time and make sure to use brass tools when possible.

Rock auto reman ok?
Is that assembly complete just hook the brake line or do I need some piston and rubber seal or something?

Reman calipers come complete, ready to bolt on.

Rock auto reman ok?

I’ve had a set of these on my truck for over a year, very happy with them. Shot them with some black caliper paint before installing.

Callahan CCK05431 [4] FRONT + REAR Premium OEM Calipers + Hardware [fit 1998-2002 Lexus LX470 Toyota Land Cruiser] Amazon product ASIN B07VVSFYMK

Tip: Always power wash entry area you'll be working, before the start of service.

It's also best practice to wash undercarriage and the entire brake caliper, pads & rotors the best you can after driving in snow, rain, water crossing, sand, mud, dust roads, etc. Then drive to dry.

how much is the shop rate for this job anyone know? dealer or indy. so I can bask in pride LOL

Gaining some confidence in doing this now :). thanks for the tips and replies.

I am attempting to remove the old race, cut it and use it to install the new one. second day now still on one side haha. wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom