Oil Pan Clearance Issues 5.3 Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
Happy Sunday folks,

I’ve got a LC9 5.3 Vortec E-Rod stock crate package from GM Performance, about 15k on swap. Trip inspection after the front right corner of the pan has rub/contact from axle. Has anyone had this happen?

Just to clarify the motor and transmission were installed by proper people and nothing modified from the usual swap. icon4x4.com did the restore and the Old Man lift. Everything is per spec and still have scaring on the pan. There is 8ish inches clearance from the axle to the pan, and it’s not worn out suspension.

My Toyota dudes at the shop are going to drop the suspension bumper about an inch to keep any future contact and looking at a Holley low profile pan from Summit.

-What am I missing?
-Stock parts with E-Rod
-Emu lift in excellent shape
-No signs anywhere of an “event” (airplane world talk for something bad happened)

Has been in the shop 2 of the 3 months I’ve owned trying to fix all the major screw ups from the Toyota shop in Encinitas, so priorities have not been looking for this type stuff. Though I caught it while laying in the dirt on i10 in Arizona broke down having owned it 24 hours...

DC8F80A1-798A-4DAC-9B4F-26EE4B289FE5.jpeg

I use the GM hotrod pan on all my swaps. Hard to tell what pan that is in the photo.

^^^ this.

Ouch. Looks like it’s leaking too. Check motor mounts too they may have settled enough to cause a clearance issue. If the engine placement is too far down and/or forward this may be an issue regardless of the pan used. Fully stuff in your suspension and see what’s going on take measurements etc for a new pan. May be able to get away with just clearancing that pan. More bump stop should help but a bandaid fix IMO.

Post more pics of the truck and swap! Motor mounts, details details !!!

Ouch. Looks like it’s leaking too. Check motor mounts too they may have settled enough to cause a clearance issue. If the engine placement is too far down and/or forward this may be an issue regardless of the pan used. Fully stuff in your suspension and see what’s going on take measurements etc for a new pan. May be able to get away with just clearancing that pan. More bump stop should help but a bandaid fix IMO.

Good comment, shop guys said the same thing. Since that’s been the only place they’re going to drop the stops down about an inch to get me on the road for my Ozarks trip. But with that much travel in suspension we suspect last guy had a hard hit or 2.

This is an Icon build? And it broke down on the way home?
Icon built in 2012 and Jamie Thomas bought it and Top Line in LA did the swap. Between 2013 and last November Jamie and his shop did horrible things, Jamie is oblivious to maint and the Toyota guy he had maintaining it used him as a cash cow cause he was worth 50mm. Well when I showed up unannounced with my 3 page pre-purchase Toyota shop in Encinitas knew the gig was up and started hiding the bodies, forged documents and signed it off. I’ve spent about 10k fixing their forged, signed off items. Very sad deal

That hurts. Just goes to show that just because a rig is “professional” built, doesn’t mean it’s correct. There are some really nice swaps and builds done by members here that I would trust way more than a “pro” job

That hurts. Just goes to show that just because a rig is “professional” built, doesn’t mean it’s correct. There are some really nice swaps and builds done by members here that I would trust way more than a “pro” job
Agree, I’ve learned more little details here than anywhere, unlike other groups this line of vehicle comes with little older group not so toxic. As for icon they did a good job, Encinitas shop is bs. I don’t like taking to the mat with folks, I’d prefer to work things out. But hide stuff or lie then gloves off. For the last 3 months I’ve been unable to leave the city limits because they had it so screwed up. They haven’t gotten both barrels yet, have my last bill coming and venue in Dallas, that’ll get some attention. Hopefully a few trips spring will get back on track. When you drop 50k on a lie, well those are fighten words...

When I get more pics I’ll post.

4A58CC9B-9DAF-470F-8A3C-CAA2DF7598AC.jpeg

A0C38412-C49E-41E0-91F4-75ACC78E34DB.jpeg

02554B99-9936-405C-87D6-C9B68CC11792.jpeg

8C65B40A-6EC2-463A-8664-EDC6D290E31C.jpeg

32CB7C7A-3572-4836-9B8F-376CB9AC3315.jpeg

Had similar issues with the oil pan

I ended up using the Holley -3 it’s lower further back and then grinding one of the cooling fins off the inside of the diff housing

also had to make some wicked bump stops, pass side only has about 2-3 inches of travel now

The problem is the motor is too far forward. “Should” cut the motor mounts and cross member out and slide the whole thing back

it’s a whole lot of work but what should have been done from day one.

it sucks and is a lot of work and I know his because well I have made that same mistake before

Stop by on your way to the ozarks, can gander, chit chat, maybe rally up

ozArks are almost my back yard

🍻

I ended up using the Holley -3 it’s lower further back and then grinding one of the cooling fins off the inside of the diff housing

also had to make some wicked bump stops, pass side only has about 2-3 inches of travel now

The problem is the motor is too far forward. “Should” cut the motor mounts and cross member out and slide the whole thing back

it sucks and is a lot of work and I know his because well I have made that same mistake before
Well you have described exactly what is going on with me and exactly what I didn’t want to hear! That’s for this. I’ve dropped this into my little notebook labeled “life is hell”

Well you have described exactly what is going on with me and exactly what I didn’t want to hear! That’s for this. I’ve dropped this into my little notebook labeled “life is hell”
Bring the rig on up. We can yank it out, do some custom work on it and slap it back in all nice and dandy like

would take a long weekend but doable to restab and make new motor mounts

Stop by on your way to the ozarks, can gander, chit chat, maybe rally up

ozArks are almost my back yard

🍻
Wait a minute, I had to look you up being in Kansas! At first with a user name “your cruiser would be jealous” I thought you were Jim the owner of Land Cruiser Restorations! If so that’s be a really expensive trip to see you cause I’d end up leaving it with you for a month! Lol, send me a message. Btw I have a kid ive mentored last 10 years that lives in KC and is driving to meet me at White Rock Mountain.

I was on summit and looke at the -1, it’s cool they show profile drawings or overlays so you can see the variations of dimensions. I’ll have to go back and look, thought the -1 was the lowest one. Pick up the cruiser today from the local guys, they are dropping the stops down about 2”. With what I’ll be doing I hope I never have to reach that much travel of suspension, I’ll order a pan, but the chaos of what money has flown out of my pocket the reposition of the setup will have to be a Q4 goal when Santa arrives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom