Left Turn Signal Not Working ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Left turn signal isn’t working when lever on steering is pulled down ... no light on dash, sound or blinking from front or back bulb

But - when I pull the Hazard knob it works

any advice where to start in this issue ?

So do we assume you have a 65 fj45? What other symptoms are there? Have you tried looking for other threads that have your issues? Make sure the bulbs are good and are the correct wattage. Triple check grounds. Clean every contact you see. There must be a bijillion threads on this.

So do we assume you have a 65 fj45? What other symptoms are there? Have you tried looking for other threads that have your issues? Make sure the bulbs are good and are the correct wattage. Triple check grounds. Clean every contact you see. There must be a bijillion threads on this.
It’s a FJ40 - it was working prior, then Just stopped. Seemed odd that it worked when the Hazards were pulled, so I assumed that the bulb, grounds and connection were functioning. I didn’t know the lever on the steering column works and if it could be the issue? I’ll research the older threads - thanks

The year is kind of important too. You know if you don't want to explain what vehicle you are talking about everytime you start a thread put it in your signature line. If it was working and then just quit, why not do the easy thing and check your lights. Chances are one died. Read the threads and learn how the system works and why the hazards are a good diagnostic tool.

Great advice - it’s a 1978 FJ40. This might make you shake your head, but IF the bulb lights up when the hazard light is pulled , doesn’t that mean the light is good? I figured the bulb works or it doesn’t

Your premise that the bulb is either good or not is valid. If BOTH the front and rear left bulbs light up then I would do the cheap and easy things first. Clean the sockets until they are nice and shinny. Triple check the grounds. There are several threads showing how to add grounds to the housings, a real weakness from the factory. Next, make sure the turn signal switch in the steering wheel is good. Again clean the contacts. If you have a multimeter you can look for voltage on the bulb contacts to confirm the switch works before tearing into the steering column.

Sometimes when mine fail I run the hazards for a short bit and they come back to life (77 model). I think the hazard switch involves a lot of the circuits and it overcomes some 40 year old connections. But I should investigate closer some day, probably when they fail altogether.

Just make right turns👊👊👊

i see this more ofter now at my shop

its a huge labor of love to remody it 1 wire at a time

it can cause all his symptoms above inspect all these under dash plugs very very well

UV rays cause this over age and time i have been told

dash 1.JPG
dash 2.jpg
dash 3.JPG
dash 6.JPG

A somewhat related problem on another 78 Fj40; all of a sudden rear passenger turn signal doesn’t work. No power to the light assembly when the column lever pushed up for right turn I get one flash/click and nothing. Hazards work the front passenger signal but not the back still no power. Sound more like a switching issue or wiring? Thank you.

A somewhat related problem on another 78 Fj40; all of a sudden rear passenger turn signal doesn’t work. No power to the light assembly when the column lever pushed up for right turn I get one flash/click and nothing. Hazards work the front passenger signal but not the back still no power. Sound more like a switching issue or wiring? Thank you.

also a possible Internal or external HAZZARD switch stand alone issue too ..............

dont overlook this possible direct cause topic in any way ............

this should be your 10/77 later Hazard switch , photos below of a NOS specimine in my LAB collection for TECH Reference to assist you .............

i help folks with refurbished and restored and NOS hazard switches hands down more then any other switch on any year land cruiser

all years hazard switches can be problem matic fyi

this TECH images proper ID shows the 7pin connector yazaki 2.8 series updated plug , you will be looking for here NO other plug connector under dash even resembles this in visual detail

unplug and inspect in detail male terminals on switch side for arc, melting , burned up it may be clear ad day or minute and hard to tell have sen all extreme levels here

nest look for any melted wires in top switch circut board where solder joints are

any internal short circuit i have ever seen here will leave smoking gun evidence out side like i outline above , so NO NEED to take switch apart ....fyi

good hunting

DSCN8196.JPG
DSCN8200.JPG
DSCN8201.JPG
DSCN8202.JPG

78 fj40 I always start by changing the flasher relay
. Weak flasher relays can cause issues on these rigs ,
they only have one flasher relay also.
the crappy flasher relays always seem to work fine when testing the 4 ways.
But will fail when turning on the turn signal. Usually the light will light up though
,it just doesn’t blink
Even Toyota has an upgrade kit to use a more modern flasher relay because of this issue ,, it may be a broken wire from your turn signal switch or lever .

78 fj40 I always start by changing the flasher relay
. Weak flasher relays can cause issues on these rigs ,
they only have one flasher relay also.
the crappy flasher relays always seem to work fine when testing the 4 ways.
But will fail when turning on the turn signal. Usually the light will light up though
,it just doesn’t blink
Even Toyota has an upgrade kit to use a more modern flasher relay because of this issue ,, it may be a broken wire from your turn signal switch or lever .
Thanks guys....hazard switch looks perfect so cleaned contacts and put it back. Pulled the flasher relay and will replace....fingers crossed.

Okay, does my 77 have two flashers? The clicking seems to come from the same place. Hazards work but the turn signals blink once or twice and stop.

Check bulbs and connections

Thanks guys....hazard switch looks perfect so cleaned contacts and put it back. Pulled the flasher relay and will replace....fingers crossed.
So where do you get a flasher relay from? I have a '78 and when i pull hazard switch out the light just stay on solid. no flashing. I do hear the relay click when pulling flasher out, but not when i push knob in.

There are a few vendors that sell them. But sometimes take it apart and see if it is just corrorofed internsll. Maybe that was the switch
Either way...

You could also have bad connections at the bulbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom