Headliner peeling back after windshield install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

leucadiacruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello 'Mud - My insurance covers windshield replacement with a small deductible so after taking a pretty substantial rock to the windshield of my 2003 LC last summer, I took it to my local dealership collision center to get it replaced. I’ve had good luck with them in the past on my 62 and my 80 with windshield replacements, as well as some body work on the 100. Once the estimator got the windshield out, he was able to see that the previous owner had an aftermarket windshield installed, and that installer had used some sort of bolts to lock in the glass, which had involved drilling the A pillar leading to rust. I went and checked it out and agreed to have them do some metal work on the A pillar to get it back to stock which would come out of my pocket. I picked it up and the work looked good - satisfied customer.

A couple months later, my son pointed out that the head liner fabric and pad had started peeling back at the top of the windshield. I reached out to the collision center and after finally getting in touch with them I am getting some push back on why this is happening - that it doesn’t necessarily have to do with the windshield replacement. With as thorough as the estimator was on getting the A pillars right again, I am pretty confident he would not let the rig roll out of the shop with a headliner peeling back. Have any of you had the front windshield section of headliner peel back over time/on its own without removing the windshield? What is the fix? Does the windshield need to be removed again? Does the complete headliner and pad need to be replaced? Any insight appreciated!

Hard to see in attached pictures, but pad is peeling back substantially as well.
IMG_1777 2.jpeg

IMG_1776 2.jpeg

IMG_1775 2.jpeg

Fortunately if the windshield was installed correctly and this was not due to new water intrusion issues, a headliner can be taken out the back and either replaced, repaired or recovered.

I’ve used two products in the past. The permetex worked well on a Mercedes alcantara headliner. The key is to not over- wet the material but apply as much as possible.
I might try spraying some on a brush (very messy and sticky) and then coating the area and repairing in place, then removing yourself and having a professional repair of that does not work. A professional will not be expensive and will be properly done, which is very hard and time consuming for an novice. Last choice would be having someone do the whole repair as that would be a fortune...

but really for my projects all around, the permatex was better in the hot weather.

A03DB596-F851-4572-8691-F672969FB68C.jpeg

Fortunately if the windshield was installed correctly and this was not due to new water intrusion issues, a headliner can be taken out the back and either replaced, repaired or recovered.

I’ve used two products in the past. The permetex worked well on a Mercedes alcantara headliner. The key is to not over- wet the material but apply as much as possible.
I might try spraying some on a brush (very messy and sticky) and then coating the area and repairing in place, then removing yourself and having a professional repair of that does not work. A professional will not be expensive and will be properly done, which is very hard and time consuming for an novice. Last choice would be having someone do the whole repair as that would be a fortune...

but really for my projects all around, the permatex was better in the hot weather.

View attachment 2597793
Thanks @baltistyle The pad has also seperated and I wonder if any amount of adhesive will get it back down. I hadn't though of water intrusion being a possible culprit. Good to know about both products and thank you.

Yeah, the right thing to do would be to get a pro to fix it. A couple hundred bucks and they will use the right adhesive. But knowing me I'd just mask everything off real good and use that spray adhesive and reattach myself. It's pretty easy, spray wait 15 seconds and stick it on.

Thanks @baltistyle The pad has also seperated and I wonder if any amount of adhesive will get it back down. I hadn't though of water intrusion being a possible culprit. Good to know about both products and thank you.
Yes, masking well could work but it will be in the air and very sticky. You have to spray from a certain distance to take advantage of the vortex it creates, imo.
In my experience it is harder to attach the fabric back to the headliner vs to the Fabrics backing, hence the need for the best glue, AND A CLEAN SURFACE ON THE HEADLINER to attach to. You CANNOT attach to old glue.

Last bump before I put this one to bed - anyone have experience with their 100 series headliner at the top of the windshield separating on its own? That is, with just age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom