Events/Trails March 19-21: Two Night (one if you prefer) Club Campout in Dixie Valley (1 Viewer)

Attending?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That route may/may not be doable that early in the year due to snow, depending on how winter finishes out. I unfortunately wont be able to make that weekend due to a prior engagement... However, I can help out with routes before hand since I spend a ton of time in that area.
There is a pretty neat trail through what's called Arterial canyon in the Sand Springs Range, which is basically the same mountain string as the Stillwaters, just south of Highway 50. You could string that together with another trail that runs up Bench Creek over to the old Wonder mine, and from there either back to 50 in Dixie Valley, or north to Horse Creek, which has a good camp spot in it. Depending on speed of the group, you might be able to that together in a day. Headed back toward Fallon on Sunday you may also be able to incorporate a trail called Bobcat. Its a pretty cool trail over the Stillwaters, but snow might be the hangup. I did Bobcat last year the first week in April and it was snow free.
I can probably pre-run that first day stuff and see if it can be done in a day, and maybe track it? I'm very un-techy on the computer map stuff. Anything other than google earth is pretty over my head...
I'm actually really bummed, I have been wanting to share this stuff with others... If you guys are interested in any of that let me know.
On edit, I have done all of that in my 80, open/open, no sliders, on 35s with no problem. There is a little waterfall in Arterial that might be kind of rough for stock stuff... I think there is a bypass though.

Thanks for the info! This will be fresh exploring for a lot of us. Do you have any GPX or coordinates for the trails you mentioned? @hairy_apple and I are thinking about heading out there for an overnight before the main trip to do some scouting. Maybe the 6th/7th or 13th/14th of March. You wanna join us?

I voted for Dixe Valley, we have already done the other two. I'm supposed to be installing a sprinkler system that weekend. We'll see how it pans out.

Thanks for the info! This will be fresh exploring for a lot of us. Do you have any GPX or coordinates for the trails you mentioned? @hairy_apple and I are thinking about heading out there for an overnight before the main trip to do some scouting. Maybe the 6th/7th or 13th/14th of March. You wanna join us?

Yeah, I should be available for either of those weekends. I'll pm you.

Last call for votes! I'll be converting the poll to an RSVP tomorrow at 5PM. @skidooman sent me a TON of POIs and trails if DV ends up winning the vote. I might need some GPS savvy folks to help me do some plotting.

Last edited:
I updated the poll for RSVP. Here's the final tally for the location votes.

1614366307124.png

In thinking, that arterial canyon trail might not be a great addition to this run. It's a fun trail but a little out of the way.
@Tony_Farson here is, in my opinion, a good trip for a day, with a camp at Horse creek, where there is an old tank, some trees, a picnic table and plenty of room for multiple rigs. It would also get you to camp early enough to do some fishing or explore some more old tanks further north in the valley if that's what you wanted to do. The orange dot is Wonder Mine, the pink dot is camp spot in Horse Creek.
bbcdixie2.jpg

Last edited:
Am I reading this right that the meetup is 9am on ‘Friday’, not Saturday?

That's the plan. We can do it later in the day if that helps folks with work. We can chance it, but thought it would be nice to have a full day on Saturday to explore instead of a 2-hour drive to get there, 4-6 hours of exploring THEN setting up camp, cooking, etc. We would leave Sunday afternoon.

If everyone would rather do Saturday morning then we can do that too. I am good either way since I'll will probably go out on Friday no matter what. Maybe we can do two groups... Those who head up on Friday and those who up on Saturday???

Shoot I didn't see it was Friday departure either... I can modify my recommendation accordingly.

I would be coming Friday after work as well. If you have a specific camp location would be handy, then any late arrivals could always meet at camp. I agree with having a full day Saturday to be able to explore.

Alright I will try to figure out where we are going to try to camp. Might I suggest that those of you going out on Saturday morning caravan from a central location so you are together? We will have our 2M up and reception should be good in Dixie Valley so you can start talking with us as soon as you enter.

Any recommendations on a sheltered spot to camp @skidooman?

If I do it I would do a night run to your camp on Friday after work. No idea what cell service is like out there but if you could post a GPS coordinate that would get someone close they could do a 2M contact to get to camp. This has been a successful strategy before.

If I do it I would do a night run to your camp on Friday after work. No idea what cell service is like out there but if you could post a GPS coordinate that would get someone close they could do a 2M contact to get to camp. This has been a successful strategy before.
This would be my plan as well

@Tony_Farson Horse Creek is probably the best out there and kinda sorta central to the valley.
39.5237448, -118.0151535

Looks like there are structures at those coordinates. What are they?

Not really structures. There is a tank, a few other old pieces of military equipment. The squares you see are old bunkers of sorts. They have some torn up netting over them for camo.

Awesome! This will be our planned campsite everyone!

39.5237448, -118.0151535

1614523878776.png

Last edited:
I think I was able to reschedule a CCW renewal to an earlier date so I may be in too...but in the Friday night arrival group. I've done a bit of chukar hunting in some of the canyons on the north west end of Dixie Valley closer to the lake/swamp, as well as traveled the entire road on the east end of the valley. That road is a washboard and washout nightmare BTW. Will be hell for any front solid axle truck. Lots to explore out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom